Sponsored

37s and drivetrain reliability - is it worth it?

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I am saying that when you add larger diameter, heavier tires to a JT you increase your stopping distance, larger diameter rotors or stronger calipers will reduce the stopping distance with the larger tires, they may not make a difference if added to a JT with stock wheels and tires.
Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I am saying that when you add larger diameter, heavier tires to a JT you increase your stopping distance, larger diameter rotors or stronger calipers will reduce the stopping distance with the larger tires, they may not make a difference if added to a JT with stock wheels and tires.
They can’t stop me any shorter. Locked up is locked up. Whether I have 6-pot 18” rotors or 2-pot 13” rotors. Locked up is locked.

Repeated stops with high heat soak, yes.

But if the wheel isn’t moving, it ain’t moving. It comes down to quite literally, where the rubber meets the road. This is why a summer only tire will almost always stop faster than an all-season. It has higher friction. (Air and road temperatures Change the friction of tires and thus a summer tire is worse in winter than an all season,etc.)

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They can’t stop me any shorter. Locked up is locked up. Whether I have 6-pot 18” rotors or 2-pot 13” rotors. Locked up is locked.

Repeated stops with high heat soak, yes.

But if the wheel isn’t moving, it ain’t moving. It comes down to quite literally, where the rubber meets the road. This is why a summer only tire will almost always stop faster than an all-season. It has higher friction. (Air and road temperatures Change the friction of tires and thus a summer tire is worse in winter than an all season,etc.)
So why would the stopping distance increase going from 32” to 37” tires? The 37” tire will have a larger contact patch and more traction, assume they are the same brand and model tire.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
So why would the stopping distance increase going from 32” to 37” tires? The 37” tire will have a larger contact patch and more traction, assume they are the same brand and model tire.
Weight. Simply and only unsprung mass. But if you're consistently able to lock up, and not suffering brake fade, larger brakes won't help you stop better. If you can't lock up, then you need brakes. But once they're locked, there's nothing left to "brake". Once you're skidding, what good are bigger brakes?

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Weight. Simply and only unsprung mass. But if you're consistently able to lock up, and not suffering brake fade, larger brakes won't help you stop better. If you can't lock up, then you need brakes. But once they're locked, there's nothing left to "brake". Once you're skidding, what good are bigger brakes?
Weight also increases traction, I am not convinced a JT on 37” tires can consistently lock up the tires, I doubt anyone has actual done it unless they disabled the abs.

Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
A larger contact patch does not necessarily mean more traction for stopping.
A larger contact patch can actually reduce friction by distributing the load.
I’d rather get stepped on by a horse than my wife’s high heel.

Bottom line is, you are ignoring the countless articles about big brake kits. You can think I’m wrong, no big deal. But what you are saying is against everything and everyone else that understands brakes.
If your stock brakes can’t lock up, then you could benefit from a BBK; otherwise, there is ZERO benefit unless you are tracking your vehicle. Period.

I’m sure we can BOTH agree that locked up is locked up, right??

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Weight also increases traction, I am not convinced a JT on 37” tires can consistently lock up the tires, I doubt anyone has actual done it unless they disabled the abs.
It increases inertia as well. An object in motion...and all that stuff. Not saying either side is wrong, someone on 37s will have to attest. But IF they are able to lock up consistently, then bigger brakes won't help, only different tires.

trailless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
I'm upgrading to 37's here in the next month or so when my lift comes in. I don't have any worries as I had a JK on heavy beadlocks and tires without issues for 70k miles. The only thing that I upgraded were the balljoints to dynatrac prosteers. I'll probably do the same later down the line when the time comes.

Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
None of the articles you keep referencing address braking distance increasing from going to larger diameter heavier tires.
Can we agree that locked up is locked up? Or do you not understand that concept?

if you don’t get it at this point, it’s your money. Spend it. :)
I’ll be the first to say they LOOK cool.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can we agree that locked up is locked up? Or do you not understand that concept?

if you don’t get it at this point, it’s your money. Spend it. :)
I’ll be the first to say they LOOK cool.
Sure, locked up is locked up.
In the real world 37” tires increase braking distance period. You guys can keep referencing all the articles you want written by engineers talking about brakes and stopping distance on sports cars it is not the same thing, most of the principals apply but none of them address the larger diameter tires and the effect they have on braking distance.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Sure, locked up is locked up.
In the real world 37” tires increase braking distance period. You guys can keep referencing all the articles you want written by engineers talking about brakes and stopping distance on sports cars it is not the same thing, most of the principals apply but none of them address the larger diameter tires and the effect they have on braking distance.
But if we agree that locked up is locked up, how can a larger caliper and/or rotor stop faster?

it’s already locked up. How can you lock up more than already locked????

If I’m dead, I’m dead. You can’t make me even more deader? Dead is dead.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But if we agree that locked up is locked up, how can a larger caliper and/or rotor stop faster?

it’s already locked up. How can you lock up more than already locked????
Who has locked up their brakes on a JT with 37” tires? Did you remove the abs fuse and test this?

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Who has locked up their brakes on a JT with 37” tires? Did you remove the abs fuse and test this?
I haven’t said 37s. I’ve only spoken to my 35s.

I can’t see how 37s would be different, though at some point the stock brakes won’t have enough clamping force to lock up, at that point, a BBK would be beneficial.

I’ve never suggested otherwise.

the argument I’ve supported is that if you can lock up or get abs to kick in, a BBK does not help. ABSsenses when tires lock up and backs off a tiny bit, modulated the brakes so you can still steer.
Sponsored