Sponsored

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Bought another new battery for my cordless hedge trimmer and leaf blower yesterday because by the end of year two they'll only run about 5 minutes on a full charge.

Pretty much every cordless rechargeable thing I have is like that.

Then there's the underpowered grid nightmares of Texas and California that make you wonder why they keep pushing EVs when they don't have enough power to run the ACs.

For now I'll keep pumping and enjoying longer drives interrupted by five minute refills.

Just call me Jedediah 🤷🏻‍♂️

22_Sarge_Sport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
“Driven by the success of our electrified 4xe portfolio in North America and Europe, we are designing and developing the most capable and sustainable Jeep SUVs to date, on our path to becoming the leading zero-emission SUV brand in the world,” said Christian Meunier, Jeep brand CEO. “This is a forward-thinking strategy to help ensure millions of Jeep fans around the world continue to have a planet to explore, embrace and protect. Electrification is great for our brand, making it even more capable, exciting, sustainable and fun.”
I think this is the right messaging for Jeep. (I'm not completely convinced that EVs are that much better for the earth yet, but that's a different discussion.) I think the Wrangler/CJ community has a lot of environmentalism in its DNA and I think they can be successful saying 1) this EV strategy will better preserve the world and 2) it will better help you explore it.

Also, I think that Recon looks cool. Another Jeep with removable doors!

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
The Recon looks interesting. Sort of a cross between a Wrangler, Renegade and Liberty. Capabilities, range and cost will determine how successful it is.
I was thinking it looked like a Bronco mated with a Hummer...

Sponsored

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Not bad at all. If I ever start commuting for work again, I’d consider it as a second vehicle.

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
“With the continuous expansion of the 4xe technology across our entire portfolio, we are redefining freedom and adventure in a way that only the Jeep brand can,” said Jim Morrison, head of Jeep brand North America. “By the end of 2025, our full lineup will be electrified, including four all-electric vehicles competing in the heart of the marketplace.”

Gladiator 4xe confirmed?

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Bought another new battery for my cordless hedge trimmer and leaf blower yesterday because by the end of year two they'll only run about 5 minutes on a full charge.

Then there's the underpowered grid nightmares of Texas and California that make you wonder why they keep pushing EVs when they don't have enough power to run the ACs.

For now I'll keep pumping and enjoying longer drives interrupted by five minute refills.

Stop buying ryobi. Milwaukee batteries last for over a decade, with no loss in duration up until the very end. Quality matters.

Edit: I should have worded this more politely. I’m sick of false statements being thrown around to deter people from EV’s. You can’t compare a $75 yard tool to batteries in a vehicle. And how long your cordless tool batteries last depends on many variables, including how they’re stored and maintained. But there is also a huge difference in how long these batteries last, depending on quality. The other huge deterrent people throw around is the battery life and replacement cost on EV’s. No one remembers that this cost is offset by the nearly zero maintenance costs for around 100,000 miles. Tires are the biggest maintenance cost for the first 4 or 5 years.

Last edited:

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 23 JL Sahara 4xe

You aren't buying the proper brand of battery operated yard tools then. I had the same problem. Fresh batteries every spring. Then I changed tool brands 5 years back and haven't bought a new battery since.

Sponsored

amoyer_01

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Willys
The only one that looks good is the one NA is not getting. I still believe if we are going to replace gas for another source Hydrogen will be that option. BEVs just make no sense when they are compared to the gas version. It costs more to own a BEV, it costs more to drive 100k miles in a BEV, the cost of the vehicle is normally way more then a comparable gas version and they are worse on the environment to get the material to build.

The Recon looks to be a similar idea of the Bronco Sport to the Bronco. At least they didn't call it a Wrangler. Why does the Wagoneer need to be completely redesigned in looks for an BEV? Just use the existing looks and add a battery pack under the floor. I like the boxier look of the current versus the swoops of the rendering.

JTsGarage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I think it's a smart move on Jeep's part. As evidenced by the number of Sahara and High Altitude-trim Jeeps I see rolling around, there's a market for a more lux, comfortable off-roader product from Jeep. You can dress up Wrangler and Gladiator all you want but it still feels like a Jeep (not a bad thing imho).

Style-wise, the Recon separates itself from Wrangler without round headlights and the lack of trapezoidal fender flares. From the pics I can already tell that the Recon is wider than the JL, which equals more interior space, has power seats, and the bolstering on the front seats looks more comfortable than what's on the JL & JT.
Sponsored

Last edited: