Sponsored

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
EV is another topic altogether. A good one, but let’s try to speculate about the OP topic. This thread is about everything other than this engine. I know there is not a ton of details on this yet but general thoughts on the design, projected power curve and output. It seems like it will compete with turbo offerings from all the wrangler/JT competitors. I’ve been waiting for a turbo’d 6 for a long time. I’m excited about the power and mpg potential. Plus living in a mountainous region, forced air is welcome.
Sponsored

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
Certain mineral mining practices are in fact quite bad. But oil and natural gas harvesting is equally bad, if not far worse. Internal combustion engines then give off harmful emissions on the back end as well. Anti EV people often use the lithium mining argument, but conveniently leave out the discussions about oil spills.

I’d also challenge all who claim to care about lithium mining practices to throw away all their power tool batteries.
my lithium batteries in my screw gun is made from fairy dust. my hands are clean. I was more bringing up availability and location. I am a fan of gas and oil. God didn't kill all those dinosaurs for nothing.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
my lithium batteries in my screw gun is made from fairy dust. my hands are clean. I was more bringing up availability and location. I am a fan of gas and oil. God didn't kill all those dinosaurs for nothing.
It was more likely plants............. there weren't enough dinosaurs spread over the planet in places where oil is found. But I've seen plants even here with our extreme summer humidity turn to a black mushy substance.
There were many many many more plants and plants are mostly CARBON. What is oil? HydroCARBON. Very little carbon in a living creature but plants are mostly carbon.

Shale is the future.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I don't know why the rail industry idea of diesel-electric hasn't hit the automotive sector.

Picture if you will a Jeep 4xe...except it's more heavily weighted toward the EV side of propulsion and it uses a 25 horsepower diesel engine to generate electricity to keep the battery pack charged when needed.

That would keep the diesel engine below the threshold for Tier IV emissions, so there would be no DPF, no EGR, and no DEF tank. It would be stone age simple, would last for a half-million miles, and would sip fuel on a heavy diet. The engine would be small, like a compact tractor engine we commonly see these days, so packaging would be easy. Since it's only running when needed to keep the battery pack charged, a tank of diesel would last for many weeks. You wouldn't need to ever plug the vehicle up for a charge (but could if desired) and range would be several hundred miles if not further.

As a side bonus it would be a simpler and more reliable design than current hybrid/EV models we have now.

Really shocked that no automaker has done this already.

But alas....I'm holding onto traditional ICE as long as I possibly can because there is NOTHING else out there as practical for day to day mixed usage.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know why the rail industry idea of diesel-electric hasn't hit the automotive sector.

Picture if you will a Jeep 4xe...except it's more heavily weighted toward the EV side of propulsion and it uses a 25 horsepower diesel engine to generate electricity to keep the battery pack charged when needed.

That would keep the diesel engine below the threshold for Tier IV emissions, so there would be no DPF, no EGR, and no DEF tank. It would be stone age simple, would last for a half-million miles, and would sip fuel on a heavy diet. The engine would be small, like a compact tractor engine we commonly see these days, so packaging would be easy. Since it's only running when needed to keep the battery pack charged, a tank of diesel would last for many weeks. You wouldn't need to ever plug the vehicle up for a charge (but could if desired) and range would be several hundred miles if not further.

As a side bonus it would be a simpler and more reliable design than current hybrid/EV models we have now.

Couldn't agree more.
That tech has been in use since the 1920s if I recall correctly (have to specify the 19 part since we are in the 20s yet again). It was used then with gas engines.
Running an engine in a constant state of ideal power band saves fuel - it would use a whole lot less fuel than the same engine constantly modulating the throttle and RPM.
Use an engine like John Deere or Kabota use in their larger lawn tractors or small utility tractors.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

But alas....I'm holding onto traditional ICE as long as I possibly can because there is NOTHING else out there as practical for day to day mixed usage.
They have. The Chevy Volt is an extended range EV, pure electric, with a 4 cylinder generator for when the batteries are depleted. And I agree. Much simpler, works great, and I wish it would be implemented instead of hybrid drive trains.

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
It was more likely plants............. there weren't enough dinosaurs spread over the planet in places where oil is found. But I've seen plants even here with our extreme summer humidity turn to a black mushy substance.
There were many many many more plants and plants are mostly CARBON. What is oil? HydroCARBON. Very little carbon in a living creature but plants are mostly carbon.

Shale is the future.
Either way, I have too many cool gas cans to go electric. :)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Either way, I have too many cool gas cans to go electric. :)
What would I do with my stock of gas cans, shelves of oil, oil filters, oil filter wrenches, piston ring compressors, connecting rod hone, boring bar, valve equipment, seat grinding equipment, valve guide tools, engine cradles and other stuff?

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
I am also interested in the 3.0 I6 "Tornado". Here are a couple of recent stories:

Stellantis removed reference to the 3.0 Tornado (December 29, 2021):
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...e-confirmed-with-twin-turbo-setup-177801.html

Much better news: production of 3.0 I6 reportedly began in Mexico in November 2021 (January 13, 2022):
https://[Banned Site]/stellantis-states-turbocharged-inline-six-engine-is-in-production/

EDIT: it looks like the second link is to a banned site 🙄 If you want to read the story, google:

"Stellantis States Turbocharged Inline-Six Engine Is In Production!"

The story describes three versions of the 3.0 (standard output, high output, and a plug-in hybrid), and it describes which vehicles are scheduled to receive the new engine - for what its worth.
The standard output is pretty lame but the high output is very impressive. Probably the fastest engine option and would beat the 6.4 na.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
What would I do with my stock of gas cans, shelves of oil, oil filters, oil filter wrenches, piston ring compressors, connecting rod hone, boring bar, valve equipment, seat grinding equipment, valve guide tools, engine cradles and other stuff?
ICE Museum

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
Donate them to a museum and claim a tax deduction!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
LOL! Reality strikes again...

EVhypocrasy.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma

Yup! Works great for trains. I've also been wondering why no one has tried this 🤷‍♂️

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer

Shale is the future.
Yup mostly plants…algae and bacteria to be specific.
Sponsored