Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
But even if it was 60 miles pure electric, you'd end up with 4 miles on gas. At roughly 30 mpg, not an unreasonable number for a hybrid, you would burn about 1.25 gallons per day.

Still not bad.

Remember that plug in hybrids operate as traditional hybrids once the battery is depleted. It charges on regenerative braking and then assists when accelerating.
This, everyone keeps thinking a phev is an EV that swaps over to gas when it runs out. Its really a hybrid with a big battery that you can pre-charge versus a traditional hybrid (like the new tundra). If your drive is longer than the range, let it run in hybrid mode and it will stretch the battery to be as efficient as possible. Typically it can get great mpg for double the range or more if you just let the computer handle its thing.
Sponsored

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I still say there's no way the Wrangler or Gladiator will get the Hurricane engine. That engine is for the uber-expensive Wagoneers and full-size trucks.

The 392 Wrangler is a limited production niche product for image. That's why they're so expensive. Jeep simply isn't going to make a lot of them and a lot of people want one. High demand + Low Supply = overpriced.

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
I'd like a factory extreme recon with 5.13 gears, 37s, and an available MT. But otherwise, the 392 doesn't do anything for me, and I couldn't afford it anyway. But I already have a gladiator, so it's easier/cheaper to just mod mine when I need to (to make it more like the XR, I'll never be able to afford a 392 haha)
We will be able to afford it. But by then there won’t even be gas it will be all batteries lol.

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
But you don't have to stop every 250 miles to recharge, but I get your point. You can only run off-road on electric for about 20-25 miles.
According to Tfl when they tested it off-road it only went 7-9 miles of full electric range. 20-25 miles on road, as off-road just like gas, you get worse economy.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Xtreme recon was already a poor answer to Sasquatch. Only Rubicon automatic 4drs first, then barely expanded to willys automatic 4drs? Please. It's a joke. If xtreme ever comes to gladiators, it'll be the same restrictions. Automatic only. Rubi and willys only.

Also why stop at 8 inch wide rims? Would 8.5s really have been that hard? Jeep doesn't even want to try to touch the value of a base 2dr bronco sasquatch, and I don't understand why. Maybe once Ford stops fucking up their entire production line and demand and supply are more in line, jeep might have to answer for someone eating their lunch. For now? Ford as a threat is a whisper on the edge of hearing. But eventually growing pains and supply constraints will pass.

As for the 392, it's too rich for my blood. If someone can explain why a v8 is a $3000 option on a ram and a $30000 option on a wrangler, I'm all ears. Is the extra 27k the special intake?
You answered that last question yourself. Supply and demand. That's why. Every 392 made is snapped up in seconds upon arrival, if not already spoken for.

Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
You answered that last question yourself. Supply and demand. That's why. Every 392 made is snapped up in seconds upon arrival, if not already spoken for.
Last time I was at the dealer I saw a 392 in the showroom. Not spoken for at all. Salesman was pitching it to some dude.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
There's been 1 for a few weeks at least at a local dealer for me. It's a unit they're willing to sell. Didn't look at sticker honestly because I don't care, but it's there lol.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the reality is that the marketplace is demanding more power than the pentastar makes.

The Gladiator is on the low end of the power spectrum in midsized trucks. the only real argument is how that happens.

Will it be the new inline six? Will it be the turbo 4 with a hybrid system?

Either way the first takers will be beta testers and should really think about leasing rather than buying. And either way, eventually the kinks will be ironed out and you will be left with a faster truck. Which is a good thing.

f33d

First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
the reality is that the marketplace is demanding more power than the pentastar makes.

The Gladiator is on the low end of the power spectrum in midsized trucks. the only real argument is how that happens.

Will it be the new inline six? Will it be the turbo 4 with a hybrid system?

Either way the first takers will be beta testers and should really think about leasing rather than buying. And either way, eventually the kinks will be ironed out and you will be left with a faster truck. Which is a good thing.
call me old fashioned but my 3.6 gets me everywhere I need to go. Why do I need more HP? Sure I loved my Hemi but this things fine for communing around time, merging and cruising on Highway and doing off-roading. Sure a better engine would be nice For efficiency but I don’t need 700hp. I want it but don’t need it.

Akgladiator

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee
392 Wrangler is insanely overpriced. My 2021 Ram Tradesman Power Wagon(392 8sp) was slightly more than half the MSRP for a 392 Wrangler.

I'll wait on the TT I6 (hurricane or typhoon or monsoon or whatever they call it)

After watching my friend and coworker try to resolve the self digesting cam phasers in his Raptor, hearing the repeated lies and dodging repairs (and he is far from alone)there is absolutely no way I would buy a Bronco of any kind. FCA/Stellantis has been less than 100% responsive to problems in some cases and certainly needs improvement. Ford sucks ass on a whole new level, those cam phasers were a problem from day one, they lied about it, obfuscated the problem, denied the problem and passed the expense of poor design and manufacturing quality directly onto their customer. You would have to be a complete idiot to sign up for that.
I am probably one of the idiot u referring to. Never have an issue with my cam phasers. Love the turbo power, out tow my ram hemi by many many miles.

Wait until hurricane comes out and check out if they cam phaser issue also, then you put those words back into your mouth or ass.

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I am probably one of the idiot u referring to. Never have an issue with my cam phasers. Love the turbo power, out tow my ram hemi by many many miles.

Wait until hurricane comes out and check out if they cam phaser issue also, then you put those words back into your mouth or ass.
LOL, Ford:
"There is no problem at all"
"Those are just noisy engines"
"There seems to be some isolated problems"
"The problem seems slightly larger than we expected"
"The problem is relatively wide spread and we're working to correct it"
"OK, there is a problem, but we don't know how to fix it"
"There is a service bulletin, please see your dealer"
"Yes, there is a service bulletin we'll need to diagnose"
"We're going to replace your cam phasers, but there are no available replacement parts"
"There is a global supply chain problem, we didn't cause that"

Sorry about your feels, I wish you luck. I don't expect Stellantis to have Ford design problems unless they are dumb enough to adopt Ford designs (which in 2022 is entirely possible).

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I still say there's no way the Wrangler or Gladiator will get the Hurricane engine. That engine is for the uber-expensive Wagoneers and full-size trucks.

The 392 Wrangler is a limited production niche product for image. That's why they're so expensive. Jeep simply isn't going to make a lot of them and a lot of people want one. High demand + Low Supply = overpriced.
I’ll agree and disagree with your comments 😉

First, I agree the 392 is a niche market. That and the 5.7 are going out the door and Stelantis is just using up the parts bin. When they’re empty the Hurricane engine will be the optional engine for those who want more power and compete with the Bronco. In fact, in the less powerful variant of the Hurricane it should replace the Pentastar due to it’s being more emission complient.

I read an article that the Hurricane engine is being produced in Mexico and that they intend to produce 250,000 of them per year. That’s way more than all the Wagoners that will be produced. Also, due to the new design the engine will be more fuel efficient as well as more powerful than the current offerings.

One of the articles I’ll link specifically mentions this longitudinal space required for this engine and says that the Gladiaor, Wrangler and Grand Cherokee will all fit this new engine.

https://media.stellantisnorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=23660&mid=1

and

https://getjerry.com/auto-news/meet-stellantis-new-inline-six-hurricane

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
I’ll agree and disagree with your comments 😉

First, I agree the 392 is a niche market. That and the 5.7 are going out the door and Stelantis is just using up the parts bin. When they’re empty the Hurricane engine will be the optional engine for those who want more power and compete with the Bronco. In fact, in the less powerful variant of the Hurricane it should replace the Pentastar due to it’s being more emission complient.

I read an article that the Hurricane engine is being produced in Mexico and that they intend to produce 250,000 of them per year. That’s way more than all the Wagoners that will be produced. Also, due to the new design the engine will be more fuel efficient as well as more powerful than the current offerings.

One of the articles I’ll link specifically mentions this longitudinal space required for this engine and says that the Gladiaor, Wrangler and Grand Cherokee will all fit this new engine.

https://media.stellantisnorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=23660&mid=1

and

https://getjerry.com/auto-news/meet-stellantis-new-inline-six-hurricane
It also says it's more fuel efficient than the V8s, I hope no one thinks it will do better than the 4cyl. The 6 even will probably get better.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
If you were a ginormous global auto manufacturer, which would you rather produce:

A. 5.7L + 6.4L + 3.6L + 3.0L (diesel)

-or-

B. 3.0L TT (SO and HO variants)

Seems like an easy choice to me? : shrug :

Pedal Metal

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 1975 Camaro, 1973 Beetle
Occupation
Analyst
Xtreme recon was already a poor answer to Sasquatch. Only Rubicon automatic 4drs first, then barely expanded to willys automatic 4drs? Please. It's a joke. If xtreme ever comes to gladiators, it'll be the same restrictions. Automatic only. Rubi and willys only.

Also why stop at 8 inch wide rims? Would 8.5s really have been that hard? Jeep doesn't even want to try to touch the value of a base 2dr bronco sasquatch, and I don't understand why. Maybe once Ford stops fucking up their entire production line and demand and supply are more in line, jeep might have to answer for someone eating their lunch. For now? Ford as a threat is a whisper on the edge of hearing. But eventually growing pains and supply constraints will pass.

As for the 392, it's too rich for my blood. If someone can explain why a v8 is a $3000 option on a ram and a $30000 option on a wrangler, I'm all ears. Is the extra 27k the special intake?
At first blush, your question / statement does appear as though jeep took the $27k difference purely to the bottom line as mark up. However, in the limited prior research I once did on the 392, I understood that it was practically a fully loaded rig. So, it’s a bit unfair to simply attribute all that increase pricing to just a V8 when, in fact, your getting things like leather seats, bead lock capable rims, convenience packages, etc. that you’d have to otherwise pay a premium for in an alternatIve trim, but are standard in the 392 package trim. Now, I can understand that some may not want those other packages, but it’s unfair not to value those packages as part of the cost of that 392 trim IMO. Also, some recoup of engineering time and expense merited for alternative solutioning and redesigns of bracketing, oil pans as well as upgraded components such as things like steel knuckles, brakes, etc. that they pulled from the gladiator down to the 392 wrangler. Of course, those were off the shelf pulls, but again, just being fair to the notion that the 392 wrangler trim is not an apples to apples comparison of just a swapped v8 compared to a lesser trim wrangler.
Sponsored