Sponsored

4XE hybrid for the Gladiator ? ? ?

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I was off 300LBS. It still adds 700 lbs. no thanks. But its a start. I can't wait to see a useful evolution of the hybrids. Its just not there yet.
Yes, it adds weight. But your point was that it would "cut the over all load capacity of the JT by 1/3 to 1/2 the over carrying cap." It doesn't; it actually has a (slightly) higher payload capacity and the same towing capacity. Where's the downside?
Sponsored

khockey02

First Name
Kalem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Yes, it adds weight. But your point was that it would "cut the over all load capacity of the JT by 1/3 to 1/2 the over carrying cap." It doesn't; it actually has a (slightly) higher payload capacity and the same towing capacity. Where's the downside?
More weight always sucks off road. Lucky it’ll be down low and maybe not a total dealbreaker.

I’m curious to see if the extra weight hurts the gas only performance on these vehicles. Otherwise I don’t see much of a downside on-road.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was off 300LBS. It still adds 700 lbs. no thanks. But its a start. I can't wait to see a useful evolution of the hybrids. Its just not there yet.
You were off by 1000%.

The carrying capacity and tow rating are completely unaffected by the bump in curb weight.

I'm not a green person at all. But if I can get 375 hp out of a 4 dr pickup truck and still see 25 mpg around town. I'm thrilled.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no downside, other than cost, really. Assuming the suspension is appropriately engineered to deal with the increased weight.

RobertRinAustin

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Wrangler JLU
Haven't really looked for an answer but curious if you get the $7500 tax credit with these hybrids?

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haven't really looked for an answer but curious if you get the $7500 tax credit with these hybrids?
If you do, it almost becomes a no-brainer for someone who doesn't keep their car that long.

I tend to keep cars for 12+ years. So the idea of a drivetrain engineered by fiat and/or Chrysler with very limited hybrid experience, that is so complex is a concern for me.

Its interesting in that a lot of the battery reliability comes from software. How for do you let it charge, how fast do you let it charge, how far do you let it discharge.

Its a balancing act because all of these factors affect performance stats that drive sales (charging time and EV range) but also impact battery longevity.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
The most appealing jeeps to me are the simplest of each model. I guess if you are forced to make it a daily driver it might be appealing. But off road, 700 additional pounds for something that needs to be plugged in, (I did read that correctly, no?) is never appealing. Did they say it was a plug in hybrid? this is not appealing to trail enthusiasts, in the least. However. it is a formidable start, but the allurer most definitely ends there, with me anyway. May there always be a current bush along the road to your electrifying travels.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Do people even research before posting “facts” anymore?

From Jeep.com:

Wrangler 4xe Sahara:
3F37A867-7D18-4494-93ED-FE00412C85B0.jpeg

ICE Wrangler Sahara:
237F1A28-B0CF-4F61-9589-EA23DA5633B8.jpeg
You were off by 1000%.

The carrying capacity and tow rating are completely unaffected by the bump in curb weight.

I'm not a green person at all. But if I can get 375 hp out of a 4 dr pickup truck and still see 25 mpg around town. I'm thrilled.

That's not how any of this works.

The JL and JT are apples and oranges. You rightly noticed that on JL, they had enough wiggle room that they were able to drastically increase GVWR to keep the payload and towing the same or better. That worked OK for Wrangler, which has a MISERABLE payload and towing rating to begin with.

However, on JT they're already at max GVWR. I've seen some JT models, particularly diesels, stamped with 6,350 lb. GVWR numbers. In order to accommodate the 4xe equipment, they'd have to tack on another 700 lbs. which would then put the GVWR at 7,000+ lbs. At that point, you're literally talking Ram full size truck numbers. Would Jeep stamp the same total capacity on their midsize that Ram uses for their fullsize? I seriously doubt it. There is, after all, a limit to what the midsize chassis and dimensions can handle.

So the fact is, there is almost zero chance that the 4xe Gladiator will be able to retain payload and towing numbers that are equal to the currrent ICE Gladiator numbers. I will be shocked if they do that.

What you're probably going to see is the lowest payload and towing numbers of any Gladiator trim in the entire lineup. And when you combine that with a <20 mile electric range and a $10k higher starting price, it just makes absolutely no sense. There will be even less financial reason to buy a 4xe Gladiator than there is to buy the EcoDiesel.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The most appealing jeeps to me are the simplest of each model. I guess if you are forced to make it a daily driver it might be appealing. But off road, 700 additional pounds for something that needs to be plugged in, (I did read that correctly, no?) is never appealing. Did they say it was a plug in hybrid? this is not appealing to trail enthusiasts, in the least. However. it is a formidable start, but the allurer most definitely ends there, with me anyway. May there always be a current bush along the road to your electrifying travels.
A plug in hybrid doesn't need to be plugged in. Once the battery runs down it works like a regular hybrid. Using the electricity for short bursts to supplement the gas engine's power.

A hybrid is a great combination with a 2 liter 4 cylinder engine. These engines can make very good power but sizing the turbocharger is always a compromise. Larger turbo for better efficiency at high RPM and high power. Smaller turbocharger for better efficiency at lower speeds. (more torque at low RPM).

The electric drivetrain makes full torque at 0 rpm. so it is a great compliment in that it can fill in the low RPM holes as well as turbo lag. This allows engineers to use a larger turbo for more efficiency at higher power

Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
The JL and JT are apples and oranges. You rightly noticed that on JL, they had enough wiggle room that they were able to drastically increase GVWR to keep the payload and towing the same or better. That worked OK for Wrangler, which has a MISERABLE payload and towing rating to begin with.
You seriously think Jeep purposely kept their payload numbers low in the Wrangler? The one thing that people have been complaining about for years and the reason people buy Land Cruisers and Troopies outside of NA rather than Wranglers for overlanding? I doubt that very much.

So the fact is, there is almost zero chance that the 4xe Gladiator will be able to retain payload and towing numbers that are equal to the currrent ICE Gladiator numbers. I will be shocked if they do that.

What you're probably going to see is the lowest payload and towing numbers of any Gladiator trim in the entire lineup.
I guess we’ll see when it comes out. No point speculating and making a decision one way or the other until it is released.

And when you combine that with a <20 mile electric range and a $10k higher starting price, it just makes absolutely no sense. There will be even less financial reason to buy a 4xe Gladiator than there is to buy the EcoDiesel.
For you.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, you didn’t read that correctly. It does not NEED to be plugged in.

RobertRinAustin

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Wrangler JLU
What you're probably going to see is the lowest payload and towing numbers of any Gladiator trim in the entire lineup. And when you combine that with a <20 mile electric range and a $10k higher starting price, it just makes absolutely no sense. There will be even less financial reason to buy a 4xe Gladiator than there is to buy the EcoDiesel.
The $7500 tax credit goes a long way towards leveling the price difference.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link

However, on JT they're already at max GVWR. I've seen some JT models, particularly diesels, stamped with 6,350 lb. GVWR numbers. In order to accommodate the 4xe equipment, they'd have to tack on another 700 lbs. which would then put the GVWR at 7,000+ lbs. At that point, you're literally talking Ram full size truck numbers. Would Jeep stamp the same total capacity on their midsize that Ram uses for their fullsize? I seriously doubt it. There is, after all, a limit to what the midsize chassis and dimensions can handle.

They only added 100Lbs to the GVWR of the Rubicon going from Diesel to 4xE. So your comparison of adding 700lbs to Gladiator GVWR is a bit off.

Edit: the Diesel Sahara has a GVWR of 5900Lbs, so it appears to be a 300lb difference between powertrains, that would still keep the Gladiator under 7000lbs rating.

Last edited:

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S

You're forgetting about the $7,500 tax credit (which is given in a weird way and may not be the full amount) as well as the fact that even though it starts $10k higher, it has several things included in it the ICE vehciles in those trims don't, like leather seating (which I don't want in my Jeep), 8.4" screen w/nav, and the upgraded audio. I think there are more things included but those are the big ones for me, so that's several thousand that gets knocked off immediately.

Leather seats: $1,700 - $1,750 (do these stack, like seat + leather color? If so combine those)
8.4 nav + audio: $2k

So for now we'll say the PHEV portion is a $6k option... and if you do it right the tax thing can get you ahead :D
Sponsored