6 Speed Manual Regrets?

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No
I did regret it and I did get the auto instead. With the diesel attached to it.

I love driving stick, but its pretty unenjoyable in that truck.
Sponsored

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
I did regret it and I did get the auto instead. With the diesel attached to it.

I love driving stick, but its pretty unenjoyable in that truck.
Need better roads?

kebler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Sport
Occupation
Project Management
If you are asking this question then my gut would say go automatic. People who like manuals tend to be very passionate about that driving experience and never think twice about the decision. If there is doubt I have a feeling that the little annoyances of a manual might get to you.

Deleted member 30519

I know I've posted on this thread before but I wanted to mention that even after 8 months of having my JT I'm still improving on driving it and I've had several manual transmission cars. I can finally crawl in 1st gear without the damn thing jumping around and my take offs are alot smoother.

Sponsored

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
kebler said:
“People who like manuals tend to be very passionate about that driving experience and never think twice about the decision.“

I completely agree. In 48 years of driving I have always sought out manual transmissions. It is one of the main reasons that I bought my Gladiator. In those years I’ve had 2 automatics, strongly disliked both trucks strictly because of the AT. My last truck was a ‘14 Chevy that I liked in every way, except the tranny. It got to the point that I really disliked driving it at all. So I guess I fit into that “passionate “ category pretty well. But the fence sitters I know always regretted getting manuals.

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
And I’d like to add that my personal opinion of the JT manual is that it is one of the nicest shifting and better geared truck transmissions I’ve had. I just don’t understand all the hate and discontent that I read about it in this forum. Again, just my opinion.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I am loving my JTR manual with my newly installed Dana Spicer 5:13 gears. It is like a different truck. Lots of Torque and super fun to shift. Low lock first gear is a great rock crawler gear now with the 37s, and reverse is also improved. City mileage has improved. Fun Truck !

til4GX.jpg

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I am loving my JTR manual with my newly installed Dana Spicer 5:13 gears. It is like a different truck. Lots of Torque and super fun to shift. Low lock first gear is a great rock crawler gear now with the 37s, and reverse is also improved. City mileage has improved. Fun Truck !

Jeep Gladiator 6 Speed Manual Regrets? til4GX
Nice ride! Thanks for posting. I’m debating 4.88 vs 5.13 gears. I tow a 3500 lb atv trailer and the change to 37s was pretty noticeable with the stock gears. Leaning toward 5.13 for more power. How’s the gas mileage ?

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Nice ride! Thanks for posting. I’m debating 4.88 vs 5.13 gears. I tow a 3500 lb atv trailer and the change to 37s was pretty noticeable with the stock gears. Leaning toward 5.13 for more power. How’s the gas mileage ?
If you are towing, I would go 5:13s.
I live on a hill, and I live in the hills, so, I am constantly going up and down hills at around 2K feet. I am also running 37" mud-Terrains. If I am taking it easy, 14 mpg. If I am having fun and are on it all the time, then, 12.5 to 13 mpg. If you are on flat land and sea level, and taking it easy, I think you can keep it 15+ mpg with 37" all-terrains and 5:13s.

Sponsored

Unkiebunk045

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Medical Sales
has anyone’s opinion changed with the second recall?

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
has anyone’s opinion changed with the second recall?
No, it is the same as the first recall, and pretty much the same situation with any clutch - in any car, ie. if you smoke the clutch, it can explode. That is why they make scatter shields. For me, common sense and my vast experiences with manuals makes it a non-issue.
Also, new gears with the bigger tires let you get the clutch out fast with minimal gas, so, clutch longevity will be increased.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma

Jeep Gladiator 6 Speed Manual Regrets? til4GX
Nice truck! This is a little off-topic, so if its a thread hijack don't bother replying - but what did you do with your lockers when you re-geared? I know some folks are going Eaton E-locker, because you can wire those to the existing switch-gear in the Rubicon. Other folk go with ARB air lockers. I had ARB in my JKU and loved them (never had an O-ring go bad). Do you like what you went with? Thanks!
Sponsored