Sponsored

Add 850w heavy duty cooling fan to 3.6L Gladiator that didn't come with it. ( no Tow Package or Max Tow )

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Willys
Occupation
USN
For anyone looking to do this, I just got off the phone with my dealer's parts department and per my VIN ('23 JT Willys) they were able to confirm that mine was built with the correct Z-case fuse array to do this swap. He also confirmed that by searching via VIN number their system will only give the parts that came on the truck.

My truck was built in February of '23, and did not come with trailer-tow or aux switches.

It was a really easy process to make the call if anyone else wants to, but I'd wager that with that information and the fact that when you look the part up online only 1 option shows up for the MY23 that all 2023 trucks came with the higher amp Z-case fuse array.
Are you making modification to increase towing capacity? If so, have you considered obtaining beefier rear spring coils? I spied on a JT with the Max Tow at a local dealership and the part numbers for the coils were 68506180AA and 68506182AA. Do you think there is much different in these and the stock JT Willys?
Sponsored

LouisvEarlleJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Willys Earl
@BoomerSooner1994 I’m just planning on doing this to complete the “package” since I added the class IV hitch. Wanted a bigger alternator and since the fan is plug and play might as well do that too.

The springs on a max tow are stiffer for higher payload.

The towing capacity comes from the gears and wider axles mostly.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Are you making modification to increase towing capacity? If so, have you considered obtaining beefier rear spring coils? I spied on a JT with the Max Tow at a local dealership and the part numbers for the coils were 68506180AA and 68506182AA. Do you think there is much different in these and the stock JT Willys?
As explained in multiple threads out here - you can't change towing capacity or payload. You can improve the experience, or in some cases the fan and alternator are swapped for hot climate driving, but tossing parts in isn't going to increase any capacity.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@BoomerSooner1994 I’m just planning on doing this to complete the “package” since I added the class IV hitch. Wanted a bigger alternator and since the fan is plug and play might as well do that too.

The max tow springs are shorter than others, but have a dual-rate - a higher rate and a normal rate. I had them under my 2020 Overland and they really didn't help the squat that much. So I didn't put them under my 2022.
Was not impressed. They also aren't what gives you a higher payload - they simply support the weight in different ways.

Sponsored

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Willys
Occupation
USN

Do 4:10 gears really matter unless you’re going up a mountain and does 1.5” REALLY make that much of a difference?

LouisvEarlleJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Willys Earl
Do 4:10 gears really matter unless you’re going up a mountain and does 1.5” REALLY make that much of a difference?
You wouldn’t think, but yes it does. That’s not to say a standard truck can’t move something, but to get the top rating that is what it took.

Still, 6000 lbs with the standard tow package is pretty good

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Heck yes. Big differences. Like I said before - it's been covered ad nauseum in other threads.
It's not only about pulling it, getting it going, it's also about CONTROL of the load as well. And wind and semis passing you and emergency situations like having to make a quick turn, trailer sway, braking and other fun stuff.
Most companies take their trucks through a standard battery of checks and tests on extreme hills, among other things.
My 2011 Silverado had a nice wide footprint and you couldn't even tell when a big truck passed you with the wheelbase it had. Further, check the specs on that truck and an identical truck in every way except the gear ratio made a big change to the towing specs of the truck. That was the only difference - the gear ratio. Same engine, same transmission.

You wouldn’t think, but yes it does.
Yeah, you would think so. Been around enough trucks and towing and such, and seen the testing they go through, and personal experience - the width is a huge factor and gear ratio is a thing even with Chevy, Ford and others. It's physics. Remember, even Pontiac used to sell their vehicles based on "wide track" - low profile wide wheel base means stability and performance. Control.

People forget it's not only about making the thing roll down the highway, it's about other traffic, wind, emergencies, control.
I can tell my JTO is a narrow truck. It was obvious from the first tow. Horrible? No, but if it was cheap and easy to increase the footprint by that 1.5" I'd do it. Just not worth the hassle and cost.
I'd leave the gear ratio alone at this point because I run stock diameter tires (wider, but same diameter) so it's not a matter of it not pulling - and I like the mpg I get, but the width I'd change if it was cheap and easy.

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
Just received my 850 watt fan from Rubitrux. Shout out to them, they are awesome to deal with. I am curious, once i add this fan and decide to upgrade to the 240 amp alternator is there a way to update my vin to include the tow package?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Just received my 850 watt fan from Rubitrux. Shout out to them, they are awesome to deal with. I am curious, once i add this fan and decide to upgrade to the 240 amp alternator is there a way to update my vin to include the tow package?
Your profile vehicle lists a Max Tow Gladiator. Max Tow already incorporates everything in the lesser Trailer-Tow Package.

Sponsored

LouisvEarlleJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Willys Earl
If you had a dealer install all of it they might be able to add a note in the app (like mine says “dealer added packages-aux switches”) but most likely no

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
Your profile vehicle lists a Max Tow Gladiator. Max Tow already incorporates everything in the lesser Trailer-Tow Package.
Just realized that I never updated it to my Mojave.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Just realized that I never updated it to my Mojave.
Ok, with that, I will add to what @LouisvEarlleJT said and say it is probably a no that they will officially add the sales code.

For them to officially add the sales code to your VIN, it would mean they would have to acknowlege you have a higher tow rating than what was certified with when it left the factory. I doubt they will do that even though you meet the engineering aspect of it now as they did not do the work.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
is there a way to update my vin to include the tow package?
Just curious, what would be the reason to do this?

Often times people get things added to their VIN because of programming and retaining that change during updates. But there's nothing like that for the tow package, it's just a physical mod, so having that added to the VIN won't really do anything for you.

I'd say don't waste your time trying. Is there something I'm missing?

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
Ok, with that, I will add to what @LouisvEarlleJT said and say it is probably a no that they will officially add the sales code.

For them to officially add the sales code to your VIN, it would mean they would have to acknowlege you have a higher tow rating than what was certified with when it left the factory. I doubt they will do that even though you meet the engineering aspect of it now as they did not do the work.
I know that it doesn’t change the 6000lb tow rating. I’m not trying to increase that because it is not possible. I was thinking for resale or trade in value.
Sponsored