Vehicle(s)
2010 JK Hemi
Here are my initial thoughts on the AEV 2.5 DualSport RT Suspension System

Build List:
- AEV 2.5 DualSport RT Suspension System
- Synergy Front Track Bar
- Synergy Front Track Bar Brace
- Teraflex Falcon 2.2 Front Steering Stabilizer
- 37" Milestar Patagonias (~35.5" Measured @ 30 psi on stock Rubicon wheels)
- Metalcloak Front Bump Stops
- Timbren Rear Active Bump stops

My Intended Use:
- Daily Driver
- Forest Roads / Hunting
- Intermediate Trails in Southwest Colorado (Imogene Pass is the hardest thing i am doing in this rig)
- (NOTE I have a JK with hemi, Metalcloak suspension, Dana 60, 40" tires, atlas transfer case, etc...so i don't need my glady to be a rock crawler)

Goals:
- Golden Rule: Whatever you do, look cool doing it
- Tighten up the ride, the stock rubicon suspension is way too soft IMHO. It rocks you all over the place.
- Provide ground clearance for intended trails
- Good on-road handling
- Leave as much stock as possible

Experience before this suspension:
- ~2,000 miles on stock suspension
- ~3,000 miles on AEV spacer lift

Thoughts:
- Ride is amazing! 1000% improvement
  • Keep in mind this is a stiffer tuned shock. I am running my tires @ 30 psi and the Patagonia's sidewalls aren't as stiff as some other tires. Different tires, psi settings, and personal preference can change ride quality.
- Install was in 2 stages:
  1. Installed just the shocks. This made a huge improvement over the Stock Rubicon fox shocks. It takes almost all the body roll out and made driving enjoyable. If you are looking for a cheap improvement to ride quality you may look into a set of properly tuned Bilstein 5100s (AEV tunes theirs specifically for the glady).
  2. Installed rest of kit. This fixed the remaining issues, such as diving during breaking, porpoising , and odd roll center from the rear end coming out of turn
- Lift Height.
  1. Factory Steel Bumpers, 37" Spare mounted under bed, No Winch
  2. Height measured from bottom of stock rubicon rock rail to ground
    1. Front = 22"
    2. Rear = 22.5"
  3. Height measured from bottom lip of rim to bottom lip of fender
    1. Front = 36"
    2. Rear = 35.5"
  4. It is 1.25" higher in the rear than the 2" AEV spacer kit
  5. I cant do a stock comparison because I don't have stock numbers

- Front caster is at 4.7 degrees with 2-3" setting. This is less than we would like, would prefer 5.5-6 degrees
- Ubolt holding the rear trackbar bracket to the axle broke while torqueing it. Instructions call for 45 ft lbs of torque, the bolt broke at 30.

Overall, this met all my goals and I am happy with the outcome. I would recommend (if your intended use is similar to mine). Will report back as time goes on, get offroad use.

Jeep Gladiator AEV 2.5 DualSport RT Suspension System - Review glad-

Jeep Gladiator AEV 2.5 DualSport RT Suspension System - Review glad-2-
Sponsored

Last edited:

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Here are my initial thoughts on the AEV 2.5 DualSport RT Suspension System

Build List:
- AEV 2.5 DualSport RT Suspension System
- Synergy Front Track Bar
- Synergy Front Track Bar Brace
- Teraflex Falcon 2.2 Front Steering Stabilizer
- 37" Milestar Patagonias (stock Rubicon wheels)
- Metalcloak Front Bump Stops
- Timbren Rear Active Bump stops

My Intended Use:
- Daily Driver
- Forest Roads / Hunting
- Intermediate Trails in Southwest Colorado (Imogene Pass is the hardest thing i am doing in this rig)
- (NOTE I have a JK with hemi, Metalcloak suspension, Dana 60, 40" tires, atlas transfer case, etc...so i don't need my glady to be a rock crawler)

Goals:
- Golden Rule: Whatever you do, look cool doing it
- Tighten up the ride, the stock rubicon suspension is way too soft. It rocks you all over the place.
- Provide ground clearance for intended trails
- Good on-road handling
- Leave as much stock as possible

Experience before this suspension:
- ~2,000 miles on stock suspension
- ~3,000 miles on AEV spacer lift

Thoughts:
- Ride is amazing! 1000% improvement
- Install was in 2 stages:
  1. Installed just the shocks. This made a huge improvement over the Stock Rubicon fox shocks. It takes almost all the body roll out and made driving enjoyable. If you are looking for a super cheap improvement to ride quality you may look into a set of properly tuned Bilstein 5100s (AEV tunes theirs specifically for the glady)
  2. Installed rest of kit. This fixed the remaining issues, such as diving during breaking, porpoising , and odd roll center from the rear end coming out of turn
- Lift Height. I cant do a stock to this lift comparison because i don't have stock numbers, but
  1. It is 1.5" - 2" higher in the rear than the 2" AEV spacer kit
  2. It currently sits at (measured from bottom of stock rubicon rock rail to ground)
    1. Front = 22"
    2. Rear = 22.5"
- Front caster is at 4.7 degrees with 2-3" setting. This is less than we would like, would prefer 5.5-6 degrees
- Ubolt holding the rear trackbar bracket to the axle broke while torqueing it. Instructions call for 45 ft lbs of torque, the bolt broke at 30. This is SUPER annoying, but was easily fixable

Overall, this met all my goals and I am happy with the outcome. I would recommend (if your intended use is similar to mine). Will report back as time goes on, get offroad use.

Looks great. Nice job. Did you have to grind out the bracket to install the synergy track bar?

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Curious how the Bilstein shocks could take out the body roll without making the ride firmer and harsher. I have had 5100s on other vehicles and found them hard riding. Why did you use the other brands of bump stops?

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I can't believe they would release something you have to cut out on a $40-50K+ truck when other manufactures seem to make it work.

Sponsored

LAJEEPR

First Name
Jimmie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent! Thanks for the write up. Will be interested in how the Timbrens perform, I want to add those at some point. My experience with 5100s I hit the stops much less frequently. With the Timbrens did you still use the rear bump stop pads in the AEV kit?

OP
OP

catronro

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JK Hemi
I can't believe they would release something you have to cut out on a $40-50K+ truck when other manufactures seem to make it work.
Sorry I reread you post. No grinding for the track bar, but there was grinding to fit the track bar brace.

Excellent! Thanks for the write up. Will be interested in how the Timbrens perform, I want to add those at some point. My experience with 5100s I hit the stops much less frequently. With the Timbrens did you still use the rear bump stop pads in the AEV kit?
I am also interested to see how they work offroad. I have the Metalcloak front bumpstops on my jk and really like them. I’ll report back when I get some experience with the Timbrens

Yes I still used the bump stop pads from the aev kit. The Timbren sit about 1.25” above pad with included Timbren spacer installed.

Last edited:
OP
OP

catronro

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JK Hemi
Curious how the Bilstein shocks could take out the body roll without making the ride firmer and harsher. I have had 5100s on other vehicles and found them hard riding. Why did you use the other brands of bump stops?
Mac, the ride is definitely firmer, but I don't find it harsh. Ride quality comes down to personal preference. I know several people like the ride of the factory fox shocks, it's just not my cup of tea.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Looks great.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Thanks for posting up, this is pretty much what I've been looking for. I think you have solidified my decision to go AEV. My rig, like yours, is not a dedicated rock crawler its my DD. Your golden rule cracks me up.

Sponsored

LAJEEPR

First Name
Jimmie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I like how it sits. You are on true 37s measured? I have KO2 315/17/70s so smaller by a few inches, Once i get this installed we will have a good comparison of 35s or 37s with this suspension. I assume that the springs will settle a bit under more load. With about 90 lbs of winch and winch plate up front, and another 200-300 lbs in bed loaded for camp it will sit an inch lower front and back. Maybe.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
35’s are going to look too small on that lift imo. It was designed with 37’s in mind.

LAJEEPR

First Name
Jimmie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
35’s are going to look too small on that lift imo. It was designed with 37’s in mind.

Yep, I’ll have some extra clearance in the wells. The Rubicon is supported for 37s with this suspension thanks to the high fender, if you have the regular (Sport, S, Overland) fenders it’s 35s.

OP
OP

catronro

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JK Hemi
I like how it sits. You are on true 37s measured? I have KO2 315/17/70s so smaller by a few inches, Once i get this installed we will have a good comparison of 35s or 37s with this suspension. I assume that the springs will settle a bit under more load. With about 90 lbs of winch and winch plate up front, and another 200-300 lbs in bed loaded for camp it will sit an inch lower front and back. Maybe.
My 37x12.50 r17 Patagonia's measure about 35.5" @ 30 psi on stock Rubicon wheels. As others have said, I believe a 35" tire in a Rubicon wheel well is going to look small, but it comes down to your goals and personal taste.

JK4AER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2003 TJ Rubicon
Looks great. I plan on getting that lift. I currently have a 1" leveling spacer up front and RR Arcus Stubby with Warn winch. Do you think I will need to keep the spacer to make it level?
Sponsored