AEV DualSport 2.5 Install

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Like many I have labored over the selection of a suspension upgrade for my JTMT. Ran through the usual suspects (Clayton, MC, Mopar) and decided on the AEV DualSport. I just felt like it was the most complete kit for the money based on how I was going to use the vehicle. Its my daily driver but I am active in my local Jeep Club and go on several trail rides per month. I live in central Florida so no real hardcore rock climbing(mostly soft sand, mud, washout areas and moderate slopes and off camber situations) so the need for the articulation ability of the Clayton or MC was not as critical. I also like that AEV has taken the time to frequency tune the springs and valved the shocks to match. I was able to install it on Thursday but ran out of light to get some decent pictures of the completed work. Overall the install was pretty straight forward. Torquing control arms while lying on your back is never easy :). I was able to take it on a short test drive and I could feel an immediate difference. The vehicle just felt more stable and planted to the ground. Turn in was much more precise and body roll seems better controlled. The ride is definitely firmed up. Feels similar to driving a European vehicle (more damping, tighter handling, with a little more feel for the road). Once I get some daylight I will snap some pictures. and show before and after. I did not measure vehicle height before (lift height was not my determining factor)so I don't know how much lift I gained but its high enough for how I am planning to use the vehicle. It is definitely higher all the way around vs. what I got from the Teraflex leveling kit that I had installed previously so I could run 35's. .
Jeep Gladiator AEV DualSport 2.5 Install 1611304848697
Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Looking forward to seeing the before and after pics

OP
OP
MCATDT

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
So here are the before and after for the AEV lift. First pic is with the Terflex leveling kit to make room for the 35's
Jeep Gladiator AEV DualSport 2.5 Install tempImage0JSC7w

This is with the AEV 2.5 (Teraflex spacers removed)
Jeep Gladiator AEV DualSport 2.5 Install tempImage0tKwMW

Picked up a good amount of clearance as you can see (again I did not measure). It is definitely a noticeable difference especially when getting in and out of the vehicle. I like that I got the factory rake back as well (hard to see on angled driveway). I know many want it level but this is a truck and rake is part of that look as far as I'm concerned. Very pleased with the new setup. Front axle did shift to the driver side about an inch. Not sure if I will invest in a new track bar to correct this or not. Will be taking it off road several times over the next month so really looking forward to seeing how it handles there.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
So here are the before and after for the AEV lift. First pic is with the Terflex leveling kit to make room for the 35's

This is with the AEV 2.5 (Teraflex spacers removed)

Picked up a good amount of clearance as you can see (again I did not measure). It is definitely a noticeable difference especially when getting and out of the vehicle. I like that I got the factory rake back as well (hard to see on angled driveway). I know many want it level but this is a truck and rake is part of that look as far as I'm concerned. Very pleased with the new setup. Front axle did shift to the driver side about an inch. Not sure if I will invest in a new track bar to correct this or not. Will be taking it off road several times over the next month so really looking forward to seeing how it handles there.
that looks really good dude. That AEV kit should ride really well and handle weight really well too. It’ll ride and flex better when you get some weight on it.

im surprised your axle is off center, but a new track bar will fix that for sure.

looking forward to hearing more reports. Had the dealer not had a Mojave on the lot, i was going to get either a rubi or max tow and use that lift.

JK4AER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2003 TJ Rubicon
Just ordered that kit! The axle really shifted 1"? If it was that much, I would have thought a new trackbar or bracket would have been included.

Sponsored

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
I've been looking at this kit too, thanks for the write up. Out of curiousity, looks like you have a steel front bumper/winch? just curious if that's factoring into the current stance

OP
OP
MCATDT

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Just ordered that kit! The axle really shifted 1"? If it was that much, I would have thought a new trackbar or bracket would have been included.
Technically I would have to shift the axle only 1/2" as you split the difference. I did not get an alignment but I will be getting one shortly.

OP
OP
MCATDT

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I've been looking at this kit too, thanks for the write up. Out of curiousity, looks like you have a steel front bumper/winch? just curious if that's factoring into the current stance
Yes I have a steel front bumper and a 12K winch. That said AEV designed the lift to maintain the rake.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Technically I would have to shift the axle only 1/2" as you split the difference. I did not get an alignment but I will be getting one shortly.

Looks good, how firm is the ride? I have had 5100s in the past and found them pretty firm riding.
I would not bother with an alignment, there is really nothing they can adjust other than toe in or out which should not have been changed with the lift.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MCATDT

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Looks good, how firm is the ride? I have had 5100s in the past and found them pretty firm riding.
I would not bother with an alignment, there is really nothing they can adjust other than toe in or out which should not have been changed with the lift.
The ride reminds me of a BMW. Firm and controlled yet comfortable. The AEV valved 5100's work perfectly with the springs. As far as alignment I have a 3 year unlimited alignment contract with a local shop. I got it as insurance to get the most life out of my tires. I knew I would be doing mods and off roading and would definitely knock a few things out of whack

OP
OP
MCATDT

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Just ordered a set of front and rear track bars from Metalcloak to get everything back to center. I went with the Metalcloak as I liked the bushings they use and I think they will give a bit more capability as well as I like the gold color that matches my black/bronze-gold theme.

JK4AER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2003 TJ Rubicon
Was reading through the instructions (in preparation for hopefully the install this weekend!), did you have to remove the rear brake calipers to get enough axle drop? I haven't had to do that in my previous JK lifts.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I really like AEVs products but i was hesitant with mess with my
Jtmt’s rear springs for towing. Are the kit springs designed to be as strong, or stronger, for towing?

OP
OP
MCATDT

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Just ordered a set of front and rear track bars from Metalcloak to get everything back to center. I went with the Metalcloak as I liked the bushings they use and I think they will give a bit more capability as well as I like the gold color that matches my black/bronze-gold theme.
I did remove the calipers for the install. It was very easy just 2 bolts and no interruption to the pressure in the system. The axles had to drop a long way to get the springs in and i did not want to deal with using a spring compressor.
Sponsored