Sponsored

Am I the only one who thinks Jeep should’ve included an in dash CD player?

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I’m trying to remember what my last vehicle that had a CD player was. I think my 2015 S3. IIRC it was in the glove box.

Technically, my fiancée’s 2013 Sentra SR is mine. I’m pretty sure it has a CD player in the no head unit. Although, I’m pretty sure neither of us have played a CD in it.
Sponsored

bolingde

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladitor
Hadn't used the CD in my last vehicle in years. Even with 6 CD changer, trying to plan what you're going to feel like listening to so you don't have the change the CD during a trip was a pain.

To me there is nothing like having a nearly unlimited ability to pick anything on the fly. I'll gladly give up some quality (that I can't hear) as a trade off. Paying an extra $100+ for a CD changer (nothing is free) would have truly been a waste of money for me.

Victoryrider78

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Sales / Operations Support
When I bought my 2017 Ram Big Horn I was disappointed that it didn't have a CD player. I traded that in on a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn and it had a CD player. I pumped when I bought it, then a year and a half later I traded it in on my JT and realized I never once used that CD player that I was so pumped about.

I would have to take a pass, but to each their own!

Deleted member 43264

As much as I love the satellite radio, USB-MP3 , Apple Play, Blue Tooth route for audio entertainment and distraction in my Gladiator, I will admit one of the things I loved and miss most about my long gone 99' XJ was the factory AM/FM Cassette/CD player. And yes, I still have all my cassettes from the 80's and they still played and didn't get eaten by the player.

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I honestly haven't used a CD in years. I ripped all of my old ones and saved them as MP3s and then they all went to goodwill. With that said this is the first vehicle I have owned that didn't have a CD player. My 2015 Silverado I traded in for the JT had a CD player and didn't use it once in the 6 years I owned it. My wife's 2019 Subaru Outback even has a CD player, but that was the last year before they changed the design and the 2020+ no longer have one. It will also never be used. I don't miss a CD player at all. Wireless CarPlay would be nice though.

Although I do remember a time where I bought a car and then added a CD player. I even had a sweet Panasonic deck that had a blue dot matrix display and had jumping dolphins and race car animations. That was the pinnacle of in car entertainment.

Sponsored

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Surely, it couldn't be all that difficult to mount a cd changer under the back seat, that is connected to the aux and could be used that way. I can't imagine that it would be all that difficult.
Agreed

db305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Max Tow
…sure maybe a fair percentage of people have moved on from holding media in their own hands, but I’m telling you that I like my cd’s on road trips and I‘d bet dollars to donuts that I’m not the only guy who bought one and then spent a second or few looking for the cd player to only realize it was GONE! I‘ll note that I am actually a somewhat techy guy and I’ve had music on my phones, but after past issues, I just like to keep it simple. Oh, and if it was a waterproof thing, then Jeep could have just put a slick little flip up and down rubber door on.
What say you?
i'm honestly shocked that you were surprised by the exclusion of a cd player with the way infotainment has progressed (not the desire for one because wanting one is entirely reasonable).

conversely, i was shocked that my wife's new forester included one.

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
I agree
…sure maybe a fair percentage of people have moved on from holding media in their own hands, but I’m telling you that I like my cd’s on road trips and I‘d bet dollars to donuts that I’m not the only guy who bought one and then spent a second or few looking for the cd player to only realize it was GONE! I‘ll note that I am actually a somewhat techy guy and I’ve had music on my phones, but after past issues, I just like to keep it simple. Oh, and if it was a waterproof thing, then Jeep could have just put a slick little flip up and down rubber door on.
What say you?
……..and they should have cassette players and 8 tracks as well! 🤣

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
Cheeze, no locking hood, no locking gas cap, and now no CD player. It is called huborous of the Jeep brand :)...And somehow they convinced me to pay 60K$ fot the Mojave! Ayh, it must be that H-Blue color, it is addictive. hahha!

Well, WTH do I get for $60K as far as playing personal media? Can I at least stick a memory stick in this Pricy-Beast so I can listen to what I want not what SIRUS wants?

Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Wonder how many of my old CDs even still play?

Anything that was burned several years ago is junk now.

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
My first job at 15 was in a record store. I was the resident metalhead. There was a Fripp fanatic, a jazz fan, and some other eclectic types. It was a blast. Spent the day around music talking about music. I miss record and CD stores. I don't even think you can find CDs in Best Buy anymore. Target and Wally World carry a few. But that's it.

And that's funny you bring up Maiden. I was just starting to discover the harder stuff when I was 12. I picked up The Number of the Beast and took one look at the sleeve and said to myself this has to be good and bought it. I have been a diehard Maiden fan ever since. Still have all of my original vinyl including a big collection of European import singles.

Back in those days you learned about new bands from the rock mags and word of mouth. The very first time I ever heard Metallica was on the Metal Massacre complication that a friend had. That was in 1984. Long before many people had ever heard of them. I remember going to see them on the Master of Puppets tour opening for Ozzy. Here's a bunch of young kids totally headbanging and screaming surrounded by a bunch of older Sabbath heads trying to figure out WTF they were seeing. LOL
Again ...spot on with above. Similar here. Robert Fripp and KK for the win.

To this day I still have that original IM album that turned me onto them.

Just a few other sleeves as well. Still in mint shape ~40 years
later.

Jeep Gladiator Am I the only one who thinks Jeep should’ve included an in dash CD player? 5BB730FD-8832-46A1-A4E8-394CD3A066B3

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I recently signed up for Apple Music. It's really spiffy! As first, it sounded really good; way better than Bluetooth. Last night a friend of mine changed the Settings for higher resolution audio and now it sounds even better.

Although, I have tried to play music that isn't available on Apple Music. No "Man On the Silver Mountain" by Rainbow. Really? Only one track by Margot Timmons. Really?

For anything I can't stream, I can easily download it and put it on a thumb drive. Or, I can buy it on CD and rip it to a thumb drive.

No, I don't miss CDs clanging around in my car at all.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
What say you?
Just got done installing my Vintage under dash Muntz 8-Track Stereo...... Rolling with the tunes. Hey honey, see if Wolf-man Jack is on.........

Jeep Gladiator Am I the only one who thinks Jeep should’ve included an in dash CD player? Muntz

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
I miss it, too! My '06 LJ had one, Wife's brand new Subaru has one, why not new Jeeps?
Sponsored