Sponsored

Anybody got Gorilla Glass?

Choj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon
There are vids on youtube for repairing the glass. It’s fairly easy to do. You just need to repair a star before it becomes a full on crack..
I've repaired my own windshields in the past and it's really easy. Kits can be bought all over. They've worked well for me and kept the crack from spreading. As stated in another post that your insurance will most likely pay someone to fix it for you. Most of the time the repair people just ask where you park your vehicle at work and they come and fix it sometime during the day.

I've somehow managed to have my JKUR for almost 3 years without a chipped window... Let's hope I didn't just jinx myself!
Sponsored

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I wonder if the factory gorilla glass will have the Jeep ( Easter egg) in the
Lower right corner?
I got a windshield replacement last month in my JK with the Gorilla Glass. While it IS more than a standard new windshield, my Windshield Replacement plan with State Farm covered it full cost... they allow that the Gorilla Glass should need to be replaced less often, so covered it. Living in Colorado I have windshield insurance on mine and my wife's car and highly recommend it to everyone.

Easter Eggs? Yup, I have my Jeep driving up a mountain in the passenger side corner, and a picture of a Gorilla in the driver side corner. (I'll expect them to do the same for the Jl/JT when they become available.)

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
As stated in another post that your insurance will most likely pay someone to fix it for you. Most of the time the repair people just ask where you park your vehicle at work and they come and fix it sometime during the day.
You're absolutely right, however it can sometimes take a day or two to get a repair done. IMO, it's a good idea to keep a couple repair kits around for just such a situation. Besides, they're pretty cheap.

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel and 2021 Wrangler 4xe
Anyone hear anything about the new JL/JT Gorilla Glass Windshield ?

this factory windshield is probably the worst windshield I’ve ever had in terms of pitting ... any little stone and there are a few pits left in the impact site ...

I’ve had many older Jeeps and while they break often, they don’t pit, just break when you get a big one at speed ...

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
Found this just fo FYI, this stuff ain’t perfect.

524374D7-09CD-4553-BBD3-F31D0FB906F3.png

Sponsored

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
I had heard from and insurance adjuster that, after a couple of years, the advantage of Gorilla glass on the JL was insignificant. I was hoping for a win there. I have had three in the last year.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Light rite has a relatively recent video showing the brand they got and looks promising

mr_bots

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I'm not sure I'd trust Gorilla Glass to be much better on the JL/JT than normal glass. It'd probably be better with pitting and maybe small rocks but anything significant it'd probably be worse. Being completely flat any impact puts bending stress into the glass where normal glass will flex a little before cracking but Gorilla glass, while much stronger, is very brittle. Figure it'd be like a cell phone screen: harder to scratch, easier to crack. Give me an idea, maybe in the future we can get easily replicable tempered glass liners to put on the outside of our windshield where we have to line up a hole in it for the millimeter radar.

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel and 2021 Wrangler 4xe
I'm not sure I'd trust Gorilla Glass to be much better on the JL/JT than normal glass. It'd probably be better with pitting and maybe small rocks but anything significant it'd probably be worse. Being completely flat any impact puts bending stress into the glass where normal glass will flex a little before cracking but Gorilla glass, while much stronger, is very brittle. Figure it'd be like a cell phone screen: harder to scratch, easier to crack. Give me an idea, maybe in the future we can get easily replicable tempered glass liners to put on the outside of our windshield where we have to line up a hole in it for the millimeter radar.
That’s exactly right, same things that break a regular windshield may also break a gorilla glass windshield, but in the meantime I’d expect it to last with less incremental damage.

I am all for a windshield “screen protector”

I know these new windshields are different somehow, they seem much more fragile. Had a lot of cars and jeeps so far but the most impressive was my Land Rover series 2, had the original windshield when I sold it with 160,000 miles, I wheeled it and daily drive it, the glass was “etched” and slightly rough but clear from the inside without cracks ... got an 80 Chevy with an original windshield, drive old datsuns for ages without ever replacing a windshield ... have 1000 miles on my gladiator with a nice crater and many other small pitts ... sold a TJ with a year and a half old windshield with 3 nice sized craters and that’s it.

my guess they’re balancing hardness and flexibility ... we are basically getting softer windshields

Sponsored

Gene26

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepgladiatorforum.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator Launch Edition 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 Ram Rebel
Vehicle Showcase

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
Found this just fo FYI, this stuff ain’t perfect.

Jeep Gladiator Anybody got Gorilla Glass? 524374D7-09CD-4553-BBD3-F31D0FB906F3
Imagine what that rock would have done to a non-gorilla glass windshield...

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Racing optics makes a great one
Thanks for the tip.

I just replaced my windshield with OEM MOPAR and in California there is no help from the insurance... It's Comprehensive with my $500 deductable with USAA. So, I had to pay in full for it. I had safelite do the install.

I went with "tear offs" from https://racingopticsjeep.com/. I emailed them a few days ago and they sent me this website link that had a $20 off coupon. $179 for the kit, including shipping. I will install it myself and post back the results.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Thanks for the tip.

I just replaced my windshield with OEM MOPAR and in California there is no help from the insurance... It's Comprehensive with my $500 deductable with USAA. So, I had to pay in full for it. I had safelite do the install.

I went with "tear offs" from https://racingopticsjeep.com/. I emailed them a few days ago and they sent me this website link that had a $20 off coupon. $179 for the kit, including shipping. I will install it myself and post back the results.
How many tear offs are in one kit?

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
How many tear offs are in one kit?
I sent an email to racing optics and "Roger" called me on the phone out of the blue. He explained the film. It is thicker for the Jeep than other applications and has 3 layers, so, 2 tear offs. He recommended Rain-x for cleaning and said it was very scratch resistant and proven in NASCAR. He also offered phone help for the installation from his tech. guy. I am excited, I like that the Jeep film is thicker. I think this will solve the problem... :)

I will post up how the install goes.
Sponsored