As a sports car enthusiast, I am offended

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Too many creature comforts and nanny protectors. It all adds up very quickly.

It is a shame to such storied nameplates.
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I love the E46. Was looking at one near me. Itā€™s got 150k on it but its show room mint, un crashed, and all stock. Debating getting it for a song and just freshening the head and adding some of Dr Schrickā€™s finest. Give it a solid overhaul tip to tail and drive the hell out of it.
You have good taste !

I am the original owner of a 2001 E46 manual M3 cabriolet. I had a 94 Mustang Cobra with a Vortech blower that I cracked the block on the way to work. ON the same day, on a whim, my buddy at work took me to the BMW dealer during lunch to get me out of my sad state... -- and there it was in the show room - it had been there for 2 hours. That M3 now has 220K miles, still with the original clutch and it burns no oil at all. I have always used the BMW Castrol 10w60 in it. Mine still has the original top that looks like new (always garaged). I had the starter and alternator rebuilt, changed the water pump and valve cover gasket, and the CAT in the header finally gave up the ghost and I had to put a new header/cat in. I think I had to do that twice, once was under warranty. The CAT is part of the header. Most of the other stuff was "wear items" - suspension rubber, rubber muffler hangers, brakes, rotors, etc... I have to tell you that by far, it has been the best built and most reliable vehicle I ever bought - everything still works and it is an easy BMW to work on -- however, only the stick shift version (which has the M5 gearbox), the SMG tranny from those years was troublesome. It definitely is a legendary car/motor. I will never sell mine... plus, it is a convertible with a stick.
Good Luck with your search.

Note: Mine is one of the early models that got re-called because of bad rod bearings. At 10K miles, they took off the oil pan and replaced the rod bearings... Talk about being nervous..., I was worried the motor was going to grenade early because of that, but, luckily, I was wrong and it has been bullet proof.

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 335i, 2014 X5, 2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link
I'm on my 3 generation of 3 series, currently have a e90 335i FBO 6spd, love the car to death (even keeping it with my gladiator) but there's not a single bmw I'd consider these days. I can't believe how far they have strayed from the "ultimate driving machine".... they all look like the standard fare from japan but without the reliability.

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
I think the f80 m3 and 340i are decent cars. The only weakness to the s55 is the crank spinning. The b58 in the 340 is a fantastic motor. I mean, over 500whp on 93 pump with bolt ons is great.

But with the m3, it no longer commands the dominance the e46 did over its rivals.

I mean, you could make a STRONG argument that the SS 1LE and GT pp2 are better drivers cars than the f80 m3/4 based on track performance alone.

Imo, a ā€œdriverā€™s sports carā€ should be NO MORE than 3,500lb fully equipped.

Ive got my eye on that e46 big time. A newer m2comp or the supra would be my picks of newer cars.

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
You have good taste !

I am the original owner of a 2001 E46 manual M3 cabriolet. I had a 94 Mustang Cobra with a Vortech blower that I cracked the block on the way to work. ON the same day, on a whim, my buddy at work took me to the BMW dealer during lunch to get me out of my sad state... -- and there it was in the show room - it had been there for 2 hours. That M3 now has 220K miles, still with the original clutch and it burns no oil at all. I have always used the BMW Castrol 10w60 in it. Mine still has the original top that looks like new (always garaged). I had the starter and alternator rebuilt, changed the water pump and valve cover gasket, and the CAT in the header finally gave up the ghost and I had to put a new header/cat in. I think I had to do that twice, once was under warranty. The CAT is part of the header. Most of the other stuff was "wear items" - suspension rubber, rubber muffler hangers, brakes, rotors, etc... I have to tell you that by far, it has been the best built and most reliable vehicle I ever bought - everything still works and it is an easy BMW to work on -- however, only the stick shift version (which has the M5 gearbox), the SMG tranny from those years was troublesome. It definitely is a legendary car/motor. I will never sell mine... plus, it is a convertible with a stick.
Good Luck with your search.

Note: Mine is one of the early models that got re-called because of bad rod bearings. At 10K miles, they took off the oil pan and replaced the rod bearings... Talk about being nervous..., I was worried the motor was going to grenade early because of that, but, luckily, I was wrong and it has been bullet proof.
That kind of mileage actually makes me feel even better about it. Got pics?

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
There was a bit of work involves, but after that it has been a tremendous track car. Coil overs brought it to life. Race weight with supercharger is 36xx. I sold my hot rods an bought this as many years after, my stint at Roush, for finally put some of my rear independent suspension designs into production. Just a base model performance pack
Jeep Gladiator As a sports car enthusiast, I am offended 256A7223

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Demand a public apology.

But I agree for the most part. It's becoming increasingly more difficult to find a true sports car. Light weight, direct handling, smooth revving, manual transmission vehicles are being replaced by heavy, computer aided, fast autos. Granted these modern cars are faster but I'll take the enjoyment of rowing a gear over .2 seconds of 1/4 time.
Couldn't agree more! I regret selling my 2008 Audi RS4. It was only available with a manual gearbox, and was so engaging. It wasn't as light as a 911, or the older Ms from BMW, but check out this excerpt from Johnny Lieberman's review:

"While the initial turn in isnā€™t as effortless and eager as say an EVO, this all-wheel driver can safely carry more speed through a corner than you can handle. After the apex, the RS4 can blast sideways with such force that you will swear you are piloting violence. And thatā€™s before you push the innocuous little button marked ā€œS.ā€ Normally, the RS4 is faster than whatever car you are driving next to, sounds bonkers and has a devastatingly punishing ride. Push the button though, and three things happen. First, the throttle control is remapped so that the rev-happy mill will crank faster with less input. Second, valves open in the mufflers changing the sound from Howard Deanā€™s scream to Gunnery Sgt. Hartman showing Joker his war face. Lastly, the shocks get firmer and the ride goes from mercilessly painful to f-you. I absolutely love it. Forget violence, you are now driving war."

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
Did I read BMW was going AWD on its new M cars?

Just buy a wrx, spend $5k for a closed deck, spend $2,500 for e85 and a pro-tune, call it done and save yourself $40k over the bimmer. 450/450 to the ground and daily driveable.

I did covet my brother-in-lawā€™s M5. It looked stock but was wicked fast.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
so the ice melts and all you wanna do is park the jeep awhile and road race? :LOL::CWL::LOL:

Sponsored

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Did I read BMW was going AWD on its new M cars?

Just buy a wrx, spend $5k for a closed deck, spend $2,500 for e85 and a pro-tune, call it done and save yourself $40k over the bimmer. 450/450 to the ground and daily driveable.

I did covet my brother-in-lawā€™s M5. It looked stock but was wicked fast.
Nah. subaruā€™s cant make shit for power...been there done that. heads dont flow well, the manifold plenum designs suck. Theyve gotten heavy. And 4 cyl cars just cant make good power bands. By the time you get a turbo big enough for 5-600hp, youve spent thousands upon thousands, and it doesnt come on until after 4,000 rpm.

Im done with 4 bangers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
There was a bit of work involves, but after that it has been a tremendous track car. Coil overs brought it to life. Race weight with supercharger is 36xx. I sold my hot rods an bought this as many years after, my stint at Roush, for finally put some of my rear independent suspension designs into production. Just a base model performance pack
Jeep Gladiator As a sports car enthusiast, I am offended 256A7223
The current PP and 1LE cars present a really good value proposition for sure......

How gutted is it?

Last edited:

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
No gutting. Full interior with 5 point harness and harness bar from Shroth. The base PPE does not have the extra carpet padding and electronics. I have made it lighter with new front subframe engine mounts and other suspension bits. Like CCW TS12 forged wheel at 20lbs a piece.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
Nah. subaruā€™s cant make shit for power...been there done that. heads dont flow well, the manifold plenum designs suck. Theyve gotten heavy. And 4 cyl cars just cant make good power bands. By the time you get a turbo big enough for 5-600hp, youve spent thousands upon thousands, and it doesnt come on until after 4,000 rpm.

Im done with 4 bangers.
Hmm, twin scroll. Get all your torque at 2k. Iā€™m not talking sti. The regular wrx.

You should check out AWD tuning in flower mound, tx. They have done some amazing subie work. Also wizards at the European cars, too

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Hmm, twin scroll. Get all your torque at 2k. Iā€™m not talking sti. The regular wrx.
Im happy to be proven wrong if youve got something, but even when EFR twin scrolls first hit the market, the ones making 500whp didnt come in until late and have to run so much boost pump gas basically isnt an option. The best power band ive seen on a subaru is an EFR 7163 with a full race el ts manifold. which on a fully built motor with heads and cam and meth, you can get a little over 400whp at near 2 bar of boost, but itā€™s tq still isnt ramping up until 3500.

The EJ motors just suck. Its weak, the heads have a lot of resistance which leads to easy knock, and the intake plenums just dont have enough volume.

Youll spend a solid 5-10k building the motor and sleeving the block, another $4k in head work, and another minimum $5k in manifold/turbo/fuel/intercooler. Then youve gotta find someone to tune it. Then you almost always have to worry about blowing the transmission unless you have a sti 6 speed.

You call edebrock and order a tvs2650 for ~$8k for a Mustang and youre at ~800 by the end of the weekend.

If you know of something showing the FA wrx doing better, please take me to school. But aftet 3 subaru builds and being disappointed with every single one, im not even considering them at this point. Im looking for over 500whp and sub 3500lbs if possible....hard to find for cheap! Hahaha
Sponsored