As a sports car enthusiast, I am offended

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Or a whipple 3.0L that they use on the cobra jet. It was a bit more than a weekend, but I can walk most anything on the road course in a straight line😉
Jeep Gladiator As a sports car enthusiast, I am offended 20200115_074619
Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Im happy to be proven wrong if youve got something, but even when EFR twin scrolls first hit the market, the ones making 500whp didnt come in until late and have to run so much boost pump gas basically isnt an option. The best power band ive seen on a subaru is an EFR 7163 with a full race el ts manifold. which on a fully built motor with heads and cam and meth, you can get a little over 400whp at near 2 bar of boost, but it’s tq still isnt ramping up until 3500.

The EJ motors just suck. Its weak, the heads have a lot of resistance which leads to easy knock, and the intake plenums just dont have enough volume.

Youll spend a solid 5-10k building the motor and sleeving the block, another $4k in head work, and another minimum $5k in manifold/turbo/fuel/intercooler. Then youve gotta find someone to tune it. Then you almost always have to worry about blowing the transmission unless you have a sti 6 speed.

You call edebrock and order a tvs2650 for ~$8k for a Mustang and youre at ~800 by the end of the weekend.

If you know of something showing the FA wrx doing better, please take me to school. But aftet 3 subaru builds and being disappointed with every single one, im not even considering them at this point.
my post I said e85. That’s the difference maker right there. I’ll agree the ej is a dinosaur.

I’ll go dig up some dynos of the FA. It’s pretty impressive: especially when you can get it for $26k new.

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
my post I said e85. That’s the difference maker right there. I’ll agree the ej is a dinosaur.

I’ll go dig up some dynos of the FA. It’s pretty impressive: especially when you can get it for $26k new.
E85 is too sparse around me to rely on. Gotta be 93/meth. But interested to see what you got.

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Or a whipple 3.0L that they use on the cobra jet. It was a bit more than a weekend, but I can walk most anything on the road course in a straight line😉
Jeep Gladiator As a sports car enthusiast, I am offended 20200115_074619
Whipple: bringing you yesterday’s technology at tomorrow’s prices.

😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬

Trolling aside, your stang is nice. Dealer near me has a Mach1 they didnt even mark up. That Coyote motor is soooo good.

What whipple kit/airbox is that?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
GT4 / Spyder are great used options at their price point as well.

BMW has been messing up crap as long as I remember. The e45 and e39 seem more like luck than anything else at this point.

Even still though, I admit the X3M is fun to drive but when I look at those cars It’s more as daily — I’d never track any of them incl. new M3.

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipple: bringing you yesterday’s technology at tomorrow’s prices.

😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬

Trolling aside, your stang is nice. Dealer near me has a Mach1 they didnt even mark up. That Coyote motor is soooo good.

What whipple kit/airbox is that?
I worked with whipple to piece a kit together. It is a mix of their 2.8 L kit with the cobrajet blower unit and injectors. With a kit from Watson for the intercooler. I tuned it and gave them my tune in exchange for a good price on the pieces.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
E85 is too sparse around me to rely on. Gotta be 93/meth. But interested to see what you got.
https://dsportmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/210-TestandTune-WRXE85-010-FlexFuelDynoTQ.png

That’s essentially a stock FA on e85.

it does have an intake but guys at AWD tuning said stock intake will support to high 300s.

344tq/364hp at the wheels. That’s around 400 at the crank. Assuming a 15% drivetrain loss?

link to full article:https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/test-n-tune/test-tune-2019-subaru-wrx-91-octane-vs-e85/

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
I worked with whipple to piece a kit together. It is a mix of their 2.8 L kit with the cobrajet blower unit and injectors. With a kit from Watson for the intercooler. I tuned it and gave them my tune in exchange for a good price on the pieces.
Nicely hustled. What does it lay down to the tire? Any idea?

It’s hard to go wrong with a GT PP or SS 1LE given the amount of aftermarket and their track performance. The new Supra is compelling too...although takes a little more effort to get north of 600 wheel.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
That the new M4 competition is ~4,000lb. That is inexcusable for a M car.

“The M4C is our halo car.”
“We have an answer to the 911. It’s the M4C”

These are things that have left the mouth of M division senior brass. I knew when M hired the former head of Quattro, 2 things would happen 1- bmw would get better awd systems. 2- the cars would get heavier. Both have happened. The M2 has (so far) kept the weight down (ish 3400-3500ish) but has failed to deliver on track.

There is a reason a base 911s can beat a ZL1 in a drag race: weight.

E36/46 weight: ~3200lb
E92/F80 weight: ~3500-3600lb
New M4: ~3900-4000lb

If I was the head of BMW, I would haul M division head into my office. “So let me get this straight. The F82 M4C lost around the racetrack to the Mustang GT pp2, the Camaro SS 1LE, and the 911S. And you added 4-500lbs of weight? You’re fired.”

Its ridiculous. And im offended.
M2 is still heavy for an M car

I remember when American “sports cars” were called pigs because they weighed 3500 lbs

All cars are too heavy now

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
M2 is still heavy for an M car

I remember when American “sports cars” were called pigs because they weighed 3500 lbs

All cars are too heavy now
Its the lightest M car since the E46....

Sponsored

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
My last BMW was a 1972 2002. That was about 30 years ago. I rebuilt it with mehle pistons, side draft webbers and a schrick 292 cam. It was a lot of fun for a little four banger. I have found myself looking at BMWs again for a weekend car when I want to scoot a little quicker than the Jeep. I think if I do it I will go with a m235i. I can find them for a price that won't break me and the 2 series will just be an homage to the ole 2002 that I never should have gotten rid of. Reading some of the reviews on the car it seems like many think it is actually more fun driving than the M2, more of a drivers car. I don't think I would go AWD as I suspect I may want to be able to break the rear end free from time to time. And couple or convertible? Coupe is a better drive but how fun is running the tail of the dragon with the top down.

Willpower1

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2021 Challenger Hellcat Widebody
Occupation
Physical Therapist
Just a BRZ plug here. It might not have the power of an electric skateboard, but if you have not driven a Performance Package BRZ, you’re being short sighted to dismiss it. These cars are a blast to drive. I’m not really a stranger to performance cars, with everything from a mint 2002 S2000 with 26k original miles, to a 2017 Performance Package BRZ, to a 2021 392 Scat Pack Challenger with the Dynamics Package currently in the family stable. Recent past cars have included a Focus RS, Stinger GT, and a WRX STi. When I want to just go out and laugh like a kid, cornering, tossing, and drifting with complete control, I grab the keys to that BRZ more than any of the others. It’s a fun, reliable little bastard that always leaves a smile on my face, and won’t strain nearly any budget with either initial buy in costs, or consumables if you want to track it. 205 hp in 2750 pounds is plenty to have a ball with, if one knows how to take full advantage of what the car has to offer.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Consumables aren't no joke! Running 305x35R18s or the slick equivalent all the way around. Best deal I can find is Kohr scrubs for like 800-1000 a set. I stopped using Michelin Super Sports cause I was going broke. They last about 3-4 track days but are almost 2000 a set. 4-6 track days and a couple auto crosses, and I am pushing 3-5k in tires, not to mention fuel, oil, brake fluid, and brake pads. It is damn fun though!!!!

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Just a BRZ plug here. It might not have the power of an electric skateboard, but if you have not driven a Performance Package BRZ, you’re being short sighted to dismiss it. These cars are a blast to drive. I’m not really a stranger to performance cars, with everything from a mint 2002 S2000 with 26k original miles, to a 2017 Performance Package BRZ, to a 2021 392 Scat Pack Challenger with the Dynamics Package currently in the family stable. Recent past cars have included a Focus RS, Stinger GT, and a WRX STi. When I want to just go out and laugh like a kid, cornering, tossing, and drifting with complete control, I grab the keys to that BRZ more than any of the others. It’s a fun, reliable little bastard that always leaves a smile on my face, and won’t strain nearly any budget with either initial buy in costs, or consumables if you want to track it. 205 hp in 2750 pounds is plenty to have a ball with, if one knows how to take full advantage of what the car has to offer.
Never mind the BRZ.

Let’s talk about what you do for a living so I can get smart and not have to worry about budget like I do at present. Thats a nice list of options sir.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
That kind of mileage actually makes me feel even better about it. Got pics?
OK, here it is when new:

Jeep Gladiator As a sports car enthusiast, I am offended Cp4uqt

Jeep Gladiator As a sports car enthusiast, I am offended DLzfZC

Here it is now - 220K miles later

Jeep Gladiator As a sports car enthusiast, I am offended KUJeKy

Jeep Gladiator As a sports car enthusiast, I am offended HgGBpl

Jeep Gladiator As a sports car enthusiast, I am offended roX9os

Jeep Gladiator As a sports car enthusiast, I am offended c1eTn6

I am also rocking a Z/28. This is the best budget naturally aspirated, Stick, Sports car out there. Carbon Ceramic brakes are incredible, 7.0 liter motor is a monster, suspension is incredible.

Jeep Gladiator As a sports car enthusiast, I am offended HsaSI3

Jeep Gladiator As a sports car enthusiast, I am offended FsT90X
Sponsored

Last edited: