Sponsored

Auxiliary LED Reverse Lights (Integrated Rear Bumper)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
LOVE how the lights fit - they slipped right into place on my 2020 OVERLAND bumper. I have the full safety package with the sensors, etc. etc. and I was watching closely those who did some "trimming" on the lights due to that bolt with the clip in the bumper.
But I tried to forget the experiences of others and thought I'd approach it from the standpoint of pretending I'd never seen a lick of feedback, never saw how anyone else did it. I was able to rotate the light so it was outer end down a bit, tip into place behind that bolt and then rotate the light into place. Seriously, the light install took less than 5 minutes each. I had them in the bumper in 10 minutes and that's accounting for not realizing my sensor wires were clipped to the factory reflectors and running back to my shop for cutters.
In short, IMO, the light fitment is perfect. IF there was a spot to clip that sensor wire back into place, emulating the factory reflector tab that would be cool but not really worth changing the castings for that. The wires have another clip up high and just pulled them up there and strapped them even higher.
Assuming the casting shape is also for cooling, I tried to keep the backs or fin-side open and wires away from the fins. I have LED industrial shop lighting in my shop and it's scary how hot the cooling fins on those get.

I have some trouble putting together the tail light pigtail to the Oracle adapter harness connector. I think in the end it was sealed so tightly I was trying to compress air! I triple-checked and all pins looked fine, it felt like a spring when I was trying to reconnect the tail light itself to their connector. Finally a big push and I could swear I hear air squeak out of the connector and then the familiar, welcome "click" and it was in.

The leads on the lights themselves I'd say are perfect for those using the clip-on process. They must be the same length, as they are, and the length there seems to be fine.
The "adapter harness" - the lead for the left is PLENTY long, in fact I have mine looped and clipped tight in the tail light channel of my truck. Plenty there.
If there's ever a revision of that harness - it would cost you nothing in materials to take 2 or 3" of the left harness lead and instead make the harness lead to the right light that much longer. Same amount of copper, same amount of cost in the end.
Take from L to add to R, net change - 0
Again, I tried it from the standpoint of being the first ever to install these, like I'd never seen any pictures or read any comments. I tried each hole going down and out to get that right lead through. The bottom hole leaves it about 2-3" short. The next hole up leave it about 2" short, then where I ran it was STILL short but was the closest of any of them. I spent extra time on the wiring, testing literally every way out of that tail light chamber area - and every one of them was worse than the very top one out. And that makes sense as the lower you go, you lose another inch or so of wire going down vertically before you make that turn to the right. Down another hole, you lose another inch before it turns right. So logic even says - out the first hole you can and turn right fast.

My comments on vehicle wiring - take a look at vehicles in the last few decades - nothing dangles, nothing can swing, no loops spots for vibration. Everything in and under that truck is carefully calculated for length and strapping. Those straps aren't there to annoy the people assembling things - they are there to prevent shaking and moving wires. As I was under mine I checked every wire under that truck - you can't move them and none of them move a lick as you push and pull. They stay put.

Where I live - how many have seen chunks of ice and snow hanging from a vehicle as if by magic? Likely hanging on a WIRE to the tail light! That snow or ice swings and pulls. IF your wires aren't strapped every few inches and close to the frame or chassis - they get yanked loose. I've done most of my automotive wiring work in the spring - after the snow and ice is gone. Broke wires, wires pulled out of sockets, you name it.
Take a piece of copper tubing - nice and supple at first - now flex it back and forth..... it hardens and eventually breaks. Same for wire.
Yes, I'm picky as hell, and even OCD at times, but there's reasons for a lot of things we see. (not always - like the hood release location on some cars - what the #$%#$ were they thinking??)
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't even tried mine yet and yet by looking at the photos there, that was my thinking - yeah, you can tip and pivot that thin cheap factory reflector but the new lights are thicker, cooling fins in the road.
Talking to myself again - correction on this - I got the lights tipped into place by rotating one end up, tipping the light in behind that bolt then rotating the light back correct again. Went right in. No fuss, no messing around with the light install. I posted pics, mine is an Overland with the stock bumper if that matters on the placement of things.

10ecHarry

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT sport s
Occupation
Plumber
Running mine to an Aux as well. What did you use for the ground? did you find anything in the back?
Only ran hot wire back to back bumper. Put the ground off the light to a small bolt somewhere on or around the rear bumper. can't remember exact spot, I'd have to go look. Under dash some where I found a small bolt to put ground on from lighted toggle switch. also have disconnect at back bumper to e able to take back bumper off if need be.

10ecHarry

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT sport s
Occupation
Plumber
Running mine to an Aux as well. What did you use for the ground? did you find anything in the back?
Only ran hot wire to back up lights. Ground wire from lights are rounded to a small bolt on steel bumper. Under dash found a small bolt and grounded lighted toggle switch with a nut on small bolt under dash. Also used a disconnect at back in case I need to remove bumper.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Only ran hot wire to back up lights. Ground wire from lights are rounded to a small bolt on steel bumper. Under dash found a small bolt and grounded lighted toggle switch with a nut on small bolt under dash. Also used a disconnect at back in case I need to remove bumper.
Someone showed a pic of a ground wire screwed to the body in behind the tail light........ I think they posted the pic in this thread.

Sponsored

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
The PNP harness already grounds the lights though correct? To hook them up through a diode for an AUX button one would only need to run the hot from the AUX switch right?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The PNP harness already grounds the lights though correct? To hook them up through a diode for an AUX button one would only need to run the hot from the AUX switch right?
Yes.

And my future plan is to use a switch situation as well as have them come on in reverse - might be handy when rigging a trailer, loading a car late at night, or just strapping a car down after a race or show.

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Well shoot! Lights did not show up today. Tracking said they were supposed to but no pony express this time. LA to PA and then I guess to KS. Maybe tomorrow, fingers crossed.

turnerdh

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Computer Programmer
Yes.

And my future plan is to use a switch situation as well as have them come on in reverse - might be handy when rigging a trailer, loading a car late at night, or just strapping a car down after a race or show.

Just finished installing my new lights today on my '20 Overland. I couldn't wiggle the light into place and ended up snipping the plastic guides just a little. After that, the install with the PNP harness went smoothly. The lights look GREAT!

Like ShadowsPapa, I too would like to run a line to my Aux switch as well. A write up would be greatly appreciated!!

Great product and great thread!

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Yes.

My roadmaster diode came in today, same one from Amazon linked earlier in this thread. I might try and get these in today

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My roadmaster diode came in today, same one from Amazon linked earlier in this thread. I might try and get these in today
I have diodes and relays up the wazzooo - bought a batch of military surplus components in the early 70s.

I figure if I can make a simple relay and diode circuit to allow me to use an AMC cruise control switch with a Jeep PCM-based cruise control, this should be relatively easy.

Just want to see how others might have done it, any gotchas, etc. then start mapping it out.
First things first - don't have any switches in the truck to use.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
Well shoot! Lights did not show up today. Tracking said they were supposed to but no pony express this time. LA to PA and then I guess to KS. Maybe tomorrow, fingers crossed.
Mine arrived three days early and installed in 25mins total, working and all. I feel like an asshole.

LowerSlower

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th JT
Got my lights and harness in today, but ran into an issue. The lights work if I take the factory reverse light out of the taillight, but if I put it back in, it just flashes a couple of times and then shuts off the driver's side reverse light. Until I shut down the vehicle and start it back up then it just does it again. No codes on the dash. I did try switching it to LED tails with the Taser and no change. If I leave one of the Aux lights plugged in with the factory reverse light then I have no issue. On a plus note, I didn't have to modify the light to put them in.

Anybody had this happen, or got any ideas. Got dark so I only got to mess with it for a few minutes.

JeepRealtor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thekashatteam.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (Bright White), 2019 Ford Expedition Limited Stealth Package (Magnetic)
Occupation
Realtor
Hey Everyone,

I just want to take a min. to thank you for all of the feedback on the these (Positive & negative). This feedback is crucial to our "Constant Improvement Cycle" process here.

In regards to the cables being too short, i'd like to offer an extension cable free of charge to anyone having a problem with this. It will be a bit longer than needed but will get the job done and allow all connections to remain IP68 waterproof.

If anyone would like this, please PM me your ORACLE order number or a screenshot of your order if bought through one of our retailers & i'll be happy to see to it one gets shipped out for you.

Cheers!
Thanks but too late as I didn’t want to wait to get these to work. I think this better approach would’ve been to make two separate pnp harnesses, one for behind each tail light, problem solved.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Still like the idea of messing around behind just one tail light and plugging in a single harness - just that the one lead needs to be longer. Otherwise the concept is great, the connectors good, sealed, etc. The draw is so minimal I see no reason to change to a two piggyback method (opening two tail lights)

I just tried mine - was waiting until I could tell from inside the truck since it won't let me get out with it in reverse. It's now dark in the garage. Holy cow - WHITE light, I mean white, and I lit up the entire garage addition behind my truck. Thought I was going to burn the paint off my car in the addition. Well, not quite that bad, but it did light up the big door that was behind the car and I could literally see everything back there clearly.
Sponsored