Bed Rack and Roof Top Tents

ron168

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rubi, '20 JT Rubi LE, '17 GLS63
Do you think there is enough room to mount Maxtrax and Rotopax items on the side panels of the rack with your configuration? I'm trying to decide between 10 and 14 inch racks....would prefer the lower one. thanks
Yes, from the looks of it, it should. Check here.
Sponsored

Zebago

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ8, 2020 JT Rubicon, White
This is a great idea. I've been trying to think of a way to mount a canoe over my RTT. It sits on a JCR short rack. Putting/making another rack to go on the rear corners may be the solution.

Jmospider

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Does anyone know if the BakFlip bed rack will work with the Mopar tri-fold cover? I called and asked but they didn’t want to discuss use with other tonneau covers. Really want to find a rack that works with a good cover.

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I went with the rebel Off Road half rack. Since I live not too far from them, I saved on shipping and picked it up myself. What a pleasure it was to see their several awesome off road machines. I know the mods on them way surpassed the cost of the vehicles. They weren't just show machines either, you can tell they use them off road a lot. Anyway, picked up the half rack (150lbs worth) and got her home. Took me a couple of hours to get it up, but it came up with no issues. Its a solid rack, beefy bolts and nice welds. Its a bit heavy, but it has three supports on each side of the bed and lots of panels. Next up... RTT... Looking at the 23Zeros

ror2.jpg

ror3.jpg

ror4.jpg

ror5.jpg

ror6.jpg

DKK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi
Does it work with the Mopar trifold hardtop tonneau?
Did you have any luck finding a rack? I have the same cover and haven’t been able to find a rack

Sponsored

htremper

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator (with toddler booster seat!)
Occupation
Rockstar
This is a great idea. I've been trying to think of a way to mount a canoe over my RTT. It sits on a JCR short rack. Putting/making another rack to go on the rear corners may be the solution.
I stole this idea from another dude here

Since I don’t or have not use the tracks (yet) ...this is a great out of the way place
Jeep Gladiator Bed Rack and Roof Top Tents image
Jeep Gladiator Bed Rack and Roof Top Tents image

bhadfield

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I went with the rebel Off Road half rack. Since I live not too far from them, I saved on shipping and picked it up myself. What a pleasure it was to see their several awesome off road machines. I know the mods on them way surpassed the cost of the vehicles. They weren't just show machines either, you can tell they use them off road a lot. Anyway, picked up the half rack (150lbs worth) and got her home. Took me a couple of hours to get it up, but it came up with no issues. Its a solid rack, beefy bolts and nice welds. Its a bit heavy, but it has three supports on each side of the bed and lots of panels. Next up... RTT... Looking at the 23Zeros

Jeep Gladiator Bed Rack and Roof Top Tents IMG_20200716_204529

That is my favorite half rack, looks great @BajaDrifter . How is visibility with a RTT or anything else on top of the rack? I'm concerned that it will be very difficult to see out the back with a tent on and I'll likely keep the tent on the rack for most of the year.

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
That is my favorite half rack, looks great @BajaDrifter . How is visibility with a RTT or anything else on top of the rack? I'm concerned that it will be very difficult to see out the back with a tent on and I'll likely keep the tent on the rack for most of the year.
Not as bad as I thought it would be. I'm a rear view driver as it is. You still get a pretty good view of what's behind you as the jeeps are generally sitting higher than most traffic. I find myself looking under the top of the rack when using the mirror. Putting on the 23zero 62in RTT today. Taking a break, it's a bear working in full sun. Pics to come.

bhadfield

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Not as bad as I thought it would be. I'm a rear view driver as it is. You still get a pretty good view of what's behind you as the jeeps are generally sitting higher than most traffic. I find myself looking under the top of the rack when using the mirror. Putting on the 23zero 62in RTT today. Taking a break, it's a bear working in full sun. Pics to come.
Thanks for the reply, looking forward to seeing pictures with the 23Zero on. If you ever have a chance to take a quick picture facing backwards with the tent on I'm sure a number of folks would appreciate it. Seems like a question that gets asked a lot and I haven't seen any with the 14" Rebel Off Road which should be a little better than the 12.5" most companies are making. The rig is looking good, thanks for the info!

Sponsored

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks for the reply, looking forward to seeing pictures with the 23Zero on. If you ever have a chance to take a quick picture facing backwards with the tent on I'm sure a number of folks would appreciate it. Seems like a question that gets asked a lot and I haven't seen any with the 14" Rebel Off Road which should be a little better than the 12.5" most companies are making. The rig is looking good, thanks for the info!
I was a little worried about the fit of a 62in RTT, but it looks OK to me. I have a little over hang in the back though, not too bad. The hardware that came with it didn't work for me though. The attachment brackets weren't long enough for Rebel cross beams. Luckily though, Rebel makes sure there are lots of screw holes or attachment points. I just cut the ends off the brackets, as it's good thick steel, and used their bolts n' nuts to attach directly to the cross beams. So it's secured at 6 points instead of just four. The Rebel rack has three heavy duty cross beams that came in handy for me today.

IMG_20200724_173240.jpg

IMG_20200724_173328.jpg

IMG_20200724_173503.jpg

IMG_20200724_174928.jpg

IMG_20200724_175251.jpg

IMG_20200724_175312.jpg

TJWilly

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Did anyone figure out how to carry their Kayak over the RTT? Just ordered my short rack from JCR. RTT from Camping Lab (I had it on my offroad trailer before) but it is the same as all the other flip over models. I have a fishing kayak setup i’d like to carry with all this safely.

bhadfield

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I was a little worried about the fit of a 62in RTT, but it looks OK to me. I have a little over hang in the back though, not too bad. The hardware that came with it didn't work for me though. The attachment brackets weren't long enough for Rebel cross beams. Luckily though, Rebel makes sure there are lots of screw holes or attachment points. I just cut the ends off the brackets, as it's good thick steel, and used their bolts n' nuts to attach directly to the cross beams. So it's secured at 6 points instead of just four. The Rebel rack has three heavy duty cross beams that came in handy for me today.

Jeep Gladiator Bed Rack and Roof Top Tents IMG_20200724_175312

Looks great! Thanks so much for the pics and install notes. There is more visibility out the back than I thought there would be.

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Looks great! Thanks so much for the pics and install notes. There is more visibility out the back than I thought there would be.
One other thing for those going with a half or 3/4 rack, depending on the size of your rtt and if the cover is zippered onto the tent, it can be a bear to zipper close the cover on the side facing the cab of the truck. It's very hard to work the zipper between the tent and cab due to lack of space. Since the zipper starts on the cab passenger side, you have get that side done first then work your way around on the other two sides. I have the rtt opening on the passenger side, but am going to switch it around to open on the driver's side. This way the start of the zipper starts at the rear tailgate passenger side. I will zip the rear and driver's side, leaving the cab side unzipped. The cover has four straps going over the top, so it will be well secured. The one side not zipped will be between the cab and tent, kind of protected from the forces of the wind there.
Sponsored