fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to be looking for a travel trailer sometime later this year, and I don't have Max Tow. I do have the normal tow package. To read through the various threads, you'd think there's nothing but Max Tow for towing anything bigger than a bike rack. I beg to differ.

I think I should be able to tow just as well as I could with my previous Expedition, Pathfinder, and Tahoe I had years ago. They had similar limits. I should be able to find a good 25 to 28 ft trailer with no slide in the mid 4,000's lbs dry weight and easily keep below 6000 lbs loaded and way under 600 lb tongue. Yes I understand that the truck itself has load limits too, but it's not like we're carrying a load of anvils with us. We travel relatively light anyway.

Are there any others out there who have the NORMAL tow package and do any towing? What are your experiences?
Sponsored

Binfordtools

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Willys
Occupation
Automotive Manager
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of it comes down to payload; you, your cargo, and your tongue weight. Even the other vehicles you mentioned, on paper, can tow more than they should tow comfortably. My 1500 Ram was capable of towing our 30ft. travel trailer spec. wise, but when it was loaded and on a windy day, the pucker factor was massive. So, I got a 2500 Ram and then had zero issues. I imagine the same would be true for the JT; you probably can tow a 25' trailer, but it may be a handful in certain conditions. I believe you should test whatever you are considering buying before you commit then make a decision. Best of luck...I want to follow this conversation because I'm interested too in people's real-world experiences towing with the JT.

Ferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired College Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
My Sport has the standard Tow Pkg. I pull my sub-4k# trailer (see below) without any problems. If you’re looking for an excellent smaller trailer (only about 20’, but still very nice), take a look at either the Winnebago Hike or, even better, the GeoPro G19FBS. My next trailer will be the GeoPro. I drool over it every time I see one!
Jeep Gladiator Can we talk JT Normal Tow? E9DDC0F3-01A7-47C9-99CB-2A6BFC486005

OP
OP
fun2drum

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My Sport has the Tow Pkg (not the MaxTow). I pull my trailer without any problems. If you’re looking for an excellent smaller trailer (not in the 25’ range, but still very nice), take a look at either the Winnebago Hike or, even better, the GeoPro G19FBS. My next trailer will be the GeoPro. I drool over it every time I see one!
Yes those are both nice.

I guess I should have mentioned that my wish list for a travel trailer includes a north/south bed with access on either side, a real bathroom in the rear, and tandem wheels because I like the stability they provide. I know those things narrow down my options, but that's okay. I actually don't want a slide, so that's gonna help keep the weight down.

OP
OP
fun2drum

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My Sport has the standard Tow Pkg. I pull my sub-4k# trailer (see below) without any problems. If you’re looking for an excellent smaller trailer (only about 20’, but still very nice), take a look at either the Winnebago Hike or, even better, the GeoPro G19FBS. My next trailer will be the GeoPro. I drool over it every time I see one!
Jeep Gladiator Can we talk JT Normal Tow? E9DDC0F3-01A7-47C9-99CB-2A6BFC486005
I didn't see that picture when I first saw your post. That thing is cool as heck!

Sponsored

Ferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired College Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I
Yes those are both nice.

I guess I should have mentioned that my wish list for a travel trailer includes a north/south bed with access on either side, a real bathroom in the rear, and tandem wheels because I like the stability they provide. I know those things narrow down my options, but that's okay. I actually don't want a slide, so that's gonna help keep the weight down.
I for-sure understand about the N-S bed. I hate the E-W one I have now. It’s a PITA. My two biggest requirements are a 12v fridge and a dry bath. Any trailer I buy has to have those.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Yes those are both nice.

Well, I have the 2021 Venture Sonic 220VRB with the rear bath and front bed. Mine DOES have a slideout but it's roomy inside and well laid out. The bed is in the front and it's a murphy bed style. My JTO handles it just fine. It's 27' hitch to rear bumper. Weight specs:

UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight)*4,740
Dry Hitch Weight*430
Dry Axle Weight*4,310

Camper 3.jpg

2021-Venture-RV-Sonic-SN220VRB-Travel-Trailer-Floorplan.jpg

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Yes I understand that the truck itself has load limits too, but it's not like we're carrying a load of anvils with us.
Which is heavier, a ton of anvils or a ton of feathers?

Just being funny.

Liftr

First Name
Duran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S
Occupation
Aviation
Jeep Gladiator Can we talk JT Normal Tow? 4303E75E-E919-42BF-9B96-E0233900073D

I pulled this #6,000 pound boat with a stock Sport S.
No weight distribution hitch or sway bar.
I would have no qualms doing this locally, but not for long Interstate hauls. The winds would push it around more than I’m comfortable with.

Malenurse

First Name
WIL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Army Nurse
Well I tow my offroad camping trailer, my utility trailer with a tractor or 2 ATVs, and a horse trailer routinely. It's capable, but I'm only comfortable because the trailers (aside from the camping) have static brakes. I wouldn't want to tow all the way to Florida from Va, but for short trips its just fine.

IMG_6448.jpg

Sponsored

gerky18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have towed my trailer quite a bit and don't have any problems. It is only about 3000# though so a bit lighter than what you're looking at. Because mine is lighter I don't worry about payload as it all goes in the trailer. Even with mine being lighter I highly recommend electric or any form of trailer brakes. I'm sure most the size you're looking at though would have them.

Jeep Gladiator Can we talk JT Normal Tow? 20200831_102714

Last edited:
OP
OP
fun2drum

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Which is heavier, a ton of anvils or a ton of feathers?

Just being funny.
Conventional wisdom would say they’re the same.

BUT - All I know is that if you dumped a ton of anvils and a ton of feathers out of a plane at the same time, the anvils would probably beat the feathers to the ground.

Not sure how that applies to trailering, but it seems as relevant as a lot of the other stuff I read about it. :LOL:

OP
OP
fun2drum

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator Can we talk JT Normal Tow? 20200831_102714

I pulled this #6,000 pound boat with a stock Sport S.
No weight distribution hitch or sway bar.
I would have no qualms doing this locally, but not for long Interstate hauls. The winds would push it around more than I’m comfortable with.
Cool boat and truck! Thanks for that info - it’s interesting that you can pull that much weight around even locally without the WDH or bar. I’ll bet they’d make a world of difference, especially on the highway and in the wind. Anyway, that’s the absolute top loaded trailer limit for my truck so it’s encouraging that you’re pulling it off. Your truck looks surprisingly level in the picture. I’ve already got the WDH and anti sway bar, so I’m all set for the highway.

Liftr

First Name
Duran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S
Occupation
Aviation
Jeep Gladiator Can we talk JT Normal Tow? 1B57203E-1BF1-4EE0-A06D-0EE56D5E23D2

I pull with the Big Daddy, when we travel any real distance.
I’m all about having the right tool for the job!

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Not for nothing but comparing a JT to a Expedition and Tahoa are not even close. I think the entire towing debate can be summed down to yes yo ucan tow, but how comfortable are you. Back in my early camper days I had a 1/2 ton F150. I towed a 30' travel trailer from NY to VA multiple times. While it did it, and some how even was in the wieght limit it sucked on the highway over 50 mph and any wind forget it. Over the years got bigger trucks and bigger campers. Setting cruise at 70 on my F450 SD Dually towing a 16K 5ver was nice vs the always working on the early days. Since have moved to a MH so my JT is just for moving around our tractor and small stuff. IF i need to move big stuff I use a tool made for it. Just me I know.
Sponsored