SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
Screenshot_20230425-091343_My Jeep.jpg

Does this mean they are actually replacing the clutch assembly this time around???
Sponsored

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
This was from the jeep app. It also says voluntary? What is the time frame for a voluntary recall? Can one drive it till the clutch wears out before voluntarily having the time to have it addressed?

hawk14414

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Billet silver JTR 6 speed
I think the "voluntary" comment is regarding FCA - meaning the recall is voluntary on their part, and not forced by NHTSA. I think........ :)

And...I think as the owner, you can have the recall performed on your schedule, not theirs. I think......

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
Anyone that installed either the CF or ACT clutch tried the reimbursement route with FCA? I've seen it mentioned a time or two, and it was mentioned in the recall paperwork I got if I recall correctly, but assume it would be a futile endeavor?

jc1986

First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon sting grey 6spd
Anyone that installed either the CF or ACT clutch tried the reimbursement route with FCA? I've seen it mentioned a time or two, and it was mentioned in the recall paperwork I got if I recall correctly, but assume it would be a futile endeavor?
[/QUOTE
I just got my Jeep back from the dealership. Iā€˜ll try the reimbursement for the labor.

I will say though, this centerforce clutch with the new hydraulics is a different vehicle. I literally just let the clutch out in the parking lot and cruised around and the Jeep just idled all the way up and down at like 500 rpmā€™s. There is constant pressure too from the point you put your foot on the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. The friction zone is much wider too. First gear almost seems excessive for normal driving now, second Gear might be the go to for stop light and stop sign take offs.

Sponsored

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
I just got my Jeep back from the dealership. Iā€˜ll try the reimbursement for the labor.

I will say though, this centerforce clutch with the new hydraulics is a different vehicle. I literally just let the clutch out in the parking lot and cruised around and the Jeep just idled all the way up and down at like 500 rpmā€™s. There is constant pressure too from the point you put your foot on the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. The friction zone is much wider too. First gear almost seems excessive for normal driving now, second Gear might be the go to for stop light and stop sign take offs.
What gear and tires?

ACTman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JKUR, 2003 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
President and head cheerleader at ACT
The clutch was designed to a lower torque rating than the engine puts out.
How are you concluding this? The engine makes 260ftlbs. According to the math, the clutch has a torque capacity of 363 ftlbs new. For comparison, we tested a used clutch at 62K as it came out of the car and the clamp load was reduced by a little over 16% making the torque capacity about 303ftlbs. These torque ratings are typically a little conservative. My point is that there is nothing unusual from what we typically see from a OEM, other than the choice to put a very weak twin disc rather than a stronger single disc clutch to accomplish this. It makes for a terrible clutch feel. For more info:
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/jt-jl-clutch-and-flywheel-explained-by-act.68758/

SPED1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport 2005 tj wrangler
Occupation
service & parts supervisor
My conclusion is because of the clutch slipping.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
But it is incorrect. The design spec clearly shows that it's design spec exceeds the torque output of the engine by almost 30%.

Sponsored

ACTman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My conclusion is because of the clutch slipping.
Agreed, they fail because the clutch is slipping. The cause for the clutch slipping isn't necessarily the clutch parts themselves. I am not saying it isn't a possibility, but it could be a few other things. Because the torque capacity seems adequate, it is more likely something preloading the clutch. It could be the driver since the pedal is super light, it could be the pedal assembly and assist spring especially if there is air in the lines, there could be extra drag (friction) in the return stroke not allowing the clutch to fully grab, or the spring in the slave cylinder that is reducing the clamp load.
Humm, after last week I have more data points, and it seems I have some homework to do.

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
Agreed, they fail because the clutch is slipping. The cause for the clutch slipping isn't necessarily the clutch parts themselves. I am not saying it isn't a possibility, but it could be a few other things. Because the torque capacity seems adequate, it is more likely something preloading the clutch. It could be the driver since the pedal is super light, it could be the pedal assembly and assist spring especially if there is air in the lines, there could be extra drag (friction) in the return stroke not allowing the clutch to fully grab, or the spring in the slave cylinder that is reducing the clamp load.
Humm, after last week I have more data points, and it seems I have some homework to do.
In your opinion, would there be any utility in ditching the spring assist system that Jeep implemented? After watching your video on the pedal design, I wondered to myself if I could get rid of their spring and somehow rig up a return-only spring so I can actually get some pedal feel.

SPED1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport 2005 tj wrangler
Occupation
service & parts supervisor
Mind you since the first reprograming recall I have had one instance of slippage with a message on the screen. It was me and a lazy clutch operation due to me being tired lol. I still don't believe this problem will be able to be fixed without hardware replacement. I still want to know if an upgraded clutch will give me more towing capability? Eventually I would like to tow my TJ to spots to offroad it and then take the broken carcass back home once I've broken it lol.

ACTman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
In your opinion, would there be any utility in ditching the spring assist system that Jeep implemented? After watching your video on the pedal design, I wondered to myself if I could get rid of their spring and somehow rig up a return-only spring so I can actually get some pedal feel.
You need something to return the pedal to the top so the clutch fluid will equalize (self-adjust). I will post more on the assist spring soon in my tech thread. I am proposing a lighter spring that basically gives a bit more feel to the clutch. It's not the best answer, but it seems to improve the feel of the stock clutch.

ACTman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mind you since the first reprograming recall I have had one instance of slippage with a message on the screen. It was me and a lazy clutch operation due to me being tired lol. I still don't believe this problem will be able to be fixed without hardware replacement. I still want to know if an upgraded clutch will give me more towing capability? Eventually I would like to tow my TJ to spots to offroad it and then take the broken carcass back home once I've broken it lol.
I don't know how much the truck's towing capacity will increase, but the actual clutch capacity for towing can be dramatically increased with an ACT clutch/flywheel. The added inertia makes it easier to take off or shift with less slipping, the higher clamp load makes torque capacity a non-issue, and the added heat stress and heat soak capacities are far exceed the OEM. Plus, I can't imagine a scenario when the clutch would ever explode from overheating. šŸ‘
Sponsored