Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) For Gladiator Manual Transmiss [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Show them this comment and tell them it's intermittent, hard to detect and you're not alone.
I’ve had it, In 3rd a couple times. It’s a bit worse pulling a trailer. I think it might be slip /pressure plate flex and the intermittent nature isn’t variation in throttle but from variation in clutch resistance. My theory. No clutch smell. My foot is nowhere near the clutch when I’ve experienced this so it’s not user error.
Sponsored

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
I’ve had it, In 3rd a couple times. It’s a bit worse pulling a trailer. I think it might be slip /pressure plate flex and the intermittent nature isn’t variation in throttle but from variation in clutch resistance. My theory. No clutch smell. My foot is nowhere near the clutch when I’ve experienced this so it’s not user error.
Another person here was explaining it's the variable valve timing.

2020GladyRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had the recall performed last week. In and out. They removed tie strap, installed hose sleeve and bled system. I think it might shift/feel a little better, but was shifting fine before IMO.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase

Mightytalldude

First Name
Rob aka MTD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GCM Sport S, 6spd manual, subtle mods.
Occupation
Retail Management Hell
Lost clutch pedal pressure on my way home tonight, pedal dropped to the floor. A quick grab by my toe to pull back up, and rapid pumping got some temporary activation back, but the engagement is at the bottom of the pedal. Of course service department is closed for the night. Calling in the morning to get it going on the recall fix. This is definitely in the hydraulic portion of the clutch. =(

Sponsored

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
Lost clutch pedal pressure on my way home tonight, pedal dropped to the floor. A quick grab by my toe to pull back up, and rapid pumping got some temporary activation back, but the engagement is at the bottom of the pedal. Of course service department is closed for the night. Calling in the morning to get it going on the recall fix. This is definitely in the hydraulic portion of the clutch. =(
What's the fluid in your clutch master cylinder look like?

No pressure/bottoming out easy, having to pump the clutch pedal. Sounds like you have air in your clutch line or you've lost your clutch fluid.

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
Had mine done 2 weeks ago. I asked about the recall during my 2ed oil change (10K miles). Dealer said they had to order the parts. 3 days later I had an appointment. Dropped it off at 7:30 and they put me in a decked out Gr Cherokee For the day. Picked it up after work. The clutch pressure plate checked out fine. The other work was performed nicely. I’m completely happy with the whole process. Kudos to Hayes Chrysler Jeep in Lawrenceville, Ga.

Mightytalldude

First Name
Rob aka MTD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retail Management Hell
What's the fluid in your clutch master cylinder look like?

No pressure/bottoming out easy, having to pump the clutch pedal. Sounds like you have air in your clutch line or you've lost your clutch fluid.
No visible leaking outside the master cylinder, and no drips under the Jeep, thankfully. The fluid line looks like it ties directly into the brake fluid reservoir, and the fluid there is clean and full. I've had multiple failures over the last 30 years with hydraulic throw out cylinders usually after 60,000+ miles, so have gotten used to when it happens but never one acting up this quickly at 10,000 miles. Very possibly air, and a quicker fix. The JT does let you start in gear thankfully and I revved matched the shifts on the way home just to not a aggravate it further until I can get it into service.

mojocho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Nice save. I'll have to remember that trick.

2004blackwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 wrx, 2005 xterra, 2014 durango, formerly 1998 wrangler
How long do I have to get the recall? I feel like I might as well wait till my clutch slips then I know it will fail and get myself a new clutch. To me if you pass the inspection now who is to say a failure in 5 years wasn't a result of the defect. Just looking at it tells you nothing I feel. In any case no mechanic is allowed in my car until the corona virus is gone anyways.

Sponsored

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
How long do I have to get the recall? I feel like I might as well wait till my clutch slips then I know it will fail and get myself a new clutch. To me if you pass the inspection now who is to say a failure in 5 years wasn't a result of the defect. Just looking at it tells you nothing I feel. In any case no mechanic is allowed in my car until the corona virus is gone anyways.
You have as long as you wish. However, the fix is to inspect the clutch and see if it has a defective pressure plate. If it does, they replace it. On all vehicles, they will also install a sleeve and move some wires to protect against fire in case the pressure plate should ever fail. Someone posted that Jeep estimates one percent of the inspected vehicles will need a new clutch assembly.

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
Just got mine done today. Passed the clutch slip test and they installed the sleeve. They said they bled the system. I cannot tell any difference. Maybe it's slightly more force to push the pedal in. Maybe not.

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
I have a manual JT gladiator with 8400 miles on it and have just passed the clutch health recall test… I have noticed something ever since the day I drove it off the lot, but it only happens when I’ve just started the vehicle and begin to release the clutch in first gear… Once the vehicle begins to roll there is a faint thump/pulse felt in the pedal/floorboard area. It can be heard if you’re listening for it… It’s almost unnoticeable, and it only happens this one time… If I stop the vehicle, get out, and come back minutes later it will not do it, The vehicle must rest for a period of time and it will do it again… Any of y’all felt this? I’m thinking it might be the vacuum brake booster diaphragm??
Couldn't feel it, or I didn't notice.

I hear transmission gears wining and ticks in my Miata engine nobody else can hear

Maybe go drive another Gladiator and let us know if you sensed it there also.

Mightytalldude

First Name
Rob aka MTD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retail Management Hell
Just got mine done today. Passed the clutch slip test and they installed the sleeve. They said they bled the system. I cannot tell any difference. Maybe it's slightly more force to push the pedal in. Maybe not.
Mine is in today for the recall. They just wanted to call me an Uber to get home? Yeah no. Driving a Compass while they diagnose and do the retrofit and bleed the system. Oh and to fix the reported mileage issue they created last time with their pot smelling service advisor. I'm pretty sure I'd have the highest mileage JT if it were right, but I'm at 9703 total miles. I have 2 dealerships in the area. Johnson Auto Plaza, who do crazy sales business, but everything is so rushed, work quality is questionable. Second is Larry H Miller, possibly better repair service, but they really suck on everything else.

Screenshot_20200604-121319.png

Mightytalldude

First Name
Rob aka MTD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retail Management Hell
All done. Inspected. Added the sleeve, moved the electrical, bled the system, and corrected the erroneous mileage. Cannot tell any difference in the pedal feel.
Sponsored