Sponsored

Cold Air Intakes are a waste

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
The main reason I bought one is so I don't ever have to spend $20-$30 on a disposable filter.
You mean these things don't have a filter?
Sponsored

RedRaptorJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR Launch Edition
CAIs come with a performance filter in the form of a meshed dry media or oiled media. This is essentially what gives it the throaty aggressive induction sound. The comment was about not having to spend money on a standard paper filter every year as part of standard maintenance.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
CAIs come with a performance filter in the form of a meshed dry media or oiled media. This is essentially what gives it the throaty aggressive induction sound. The comment was about not having to spend money on a standard paper filter every year as part of standard maintenance.
Oiled media. So we have come 360. My 1956 Chevy straight six had an oiled media air cleaner..

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Oiled media. So we have come 360. My 1956 Chevy straight six had an oiled media air cleaner..
What's your point? Nothing has come 360. Oiled media filters have been around forever and will continue to be used.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
What's your point? Nothing has come 360. Oiled media filters have been around forever and will continue to be used.
Didn't know oiled media filters have been around continuously.

Cars in the mid-fifties had them. Every car I have owned since the sixties had disposable paper filters, which were supposed to be an improvement.

That was my point.

Sponsored

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Didn't know oiled media filters have been around continuously.

Cars in the mid-fifties had them. Every car I have owned since the sixties had disposable paper filters, which were supposed to be an improvement.

That was my point.
Maybe not come at OEM equipment on vehicles, but aftermarket use has been around forever.

Lots of off-road vehicles and dirt bikes still use oiled media filters as standard equipment. Industrial compressors and machine equipment. Lots of uses.

OP
OP

WaterDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Oiled fingers have been around since I was a kid.

Check out Project Farms test on filters. You will think twice.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oiled fingers have been around since I was a kid.

Check out Project Farms test on filters. You will think twice.
I've had a K&N oiled filter in my 2012 JK since day 1. Over 120k miles on it, with Blackstone tests done at every oil change, engine is perfect. I've been in some nasty dusty conditions in Uwharrie. Never once have I noticed any dirt in the intake, throttle body or upper plenum that made it past the filter.

YMMV

Shultz01

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ, 2020 JT
Occupation
Sales
AFe claims that their GT CAI combined with their Scorcher programmer and High Tuck exhaust and 93 octane gas will give you +25HP and +24lb-ft of torque...dyno tested. Lesser results with 91 and 87 octane, but gains none-the-less...supposedly. Just $1400 now and $.70/gallon on every fill-up. :)

Capture.JPG

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
That's what I want to know: How to sort through the description of the sound an aftermarket muffler gives.

I don't want a loud sound, just - what? a little throat? I loved the sound my '71 MB 280SL made. I always assumed it had straight-through exhaust, what we used to call "glas-packs". It was a straight six with a lovely deep sound. I would like something akin to that out of my Gladiator. That was 50 years ago, but I still remember the sound.

Yes, both the MB and the JT had (have) stick shift.
I have a Gibson exhaust on mine, and it is subtle...you get some extra throat with it.

Sponsored

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, Explorer, Prius, C6, Diesel Pusher MH
Occupation
Engineer
I'm spending $3,536 to get go from 285 HP down to 260 HP... but more importantly from 260 LB-FT of torque to 442 LB-FT of torque.

When you drive this Gladiator, if nobody told you what is different from the Stock 3.6L, your seat of the pants dyno would tell you that you have a lot more HP than the stock 3.6L..., not a loss of 25 HP. But it's not the HP that makes you feel like you are accelerating better, it's the torque.

Gaining 180 LB-FT of torque, a 70% increase, for $3,563 isn't too bad, when I'm spending $18.74 for each LB-FT of torque of increase. If Schultz01's numbers are correct, the aFe CAI and Scorcher programmer and High Tuck exhaust will get you 24 LB-FT of torque at $1,300 cost you, a $56.67 per each LB-FT of torque increase.

I think I'll keep the stock 3.0L diesel from Jeep :rock: which also sounds cool (but so far, only on my test drive because mine isn't in yet).

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
AFe claims that their GT CAI combined with their Scorcher programmer and High Tuck exhaust and 93 octane gas will give you +25HP and +24lb-ft of torque...dyno tested. Lesser results with 91 and 87 octane, but gains none-the-less...supposedly. Just $1400 now and $.70/gallon on every fill-up. :)

Jeep Gladiator Cold Air Intakes are a waste Capture.JPG
Someone send me one and I'll test it out on a brand new Dynomax dyno, with professional analysis where the analysts are independent.

Otherwise, I'm calling BS. And by the way, the owner of the company, 4 Piston Racing, has said clearly that most dynos can be tricked or modded to give a customer what they want to see.

As for me and my deep skepticism, there's nothing I would love more than to find out I can bolt on 25hp that easily.

Banks gets much more air flow than Afe on the CAI and they make no specific power claims. Only data on the air. They benchmarked Afe.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dyno's can be tricked. You just change the atmospheric settings. You can make a Geo Metro show 1000 HP if you want.

I don't use a dyno to show me actual power. I use it to show me delta's while tuning. Given that all environmental conditions remain the same while tuning.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Dyno's can be tricked. You just change the atmospheric settings. You can make a Geo Metro show 1000 HP if you want.

I don't use a dyno to show me actual power. I use it to show me delta's while tuning. Given that all environmental conditions remain the same while tuning.
Yep, I pointed that out awhile back. The Dynomax is much harder to trick, according to 4Piston Racing. He'd scoff at the idea of them gaining 25hp given the same conditions and in the absence of a tune. He's probably chuckle at those numbers even with a tune.

OP
OP

WaterDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
$1400 and only 25? You would have to be a giant moron to do that....if even that is really even that.
Sponsored