Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Pumpkin Gladiator/ 2007 Steel Blue JKU
Occupation
Pastor
I just got a fridge... how long do they run before killing the battery? Do you run them overnight on just the stock battery? Still have juice to crank itover in the morning? If not... then we need to add to the cost of the fridge- the cost of a dual battery system or a battery box just for the fridge... or lots of solar? We are still getting snow here... and I got the fridge for Christmas... but its like 40 outside...20 at night. I can't really test how the fridge does in 90-100 degree weather all night in the back of the truck...so just wondering what did most of you do to be sure you don't kill your truck battery?
Sponsored

b-roc

First Name
Broc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM
For the portable fridges, there are typically battery protection settings that turn the fridge off for a particular voltage drop.

For those considering this, the additional cost of running DC power to your bed should also be considered.

I decided on a fridge and prioritized size (wanted it to fit behind the rear wheel and under my tonneau). I landed on a made in China, Amazon special - ausranvik 45 quart (fits nicely in the space).

Pros - dimensions can't be beat for this application, still running at 1 year out
Considerations - no wifi, exterior sides are metal but not as thick as high end competitors, ac or DC powered
Cons - the latch is very weak - I pulled it off and replaced it with a metal hasp, screen isn't the brightest (need to shade with your hand on bright days)

We have used it for 2 separate week long family trips and it was great. I leave it in the bed almost all of the time (stays for Jeep things and husband duties but comes out for truck duty) so it has been great for tailgating, 3 day weekends, and errands when you pick up perishables but don't want to go home right away... I hadn't counted on the last one

I will edit this with a picture later

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
A good cooler is never a waste, especially if it is just for drinks. Then it does not matter that there is water. If you need to carry meds then a 12v compressor fridge is a must.

Last edited:

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I have a portable setup. We love having the Engel and the bluetti lifepo4 battery. It is 99% mostly in the bed full-time.. They have proven bullet proof on some very tough badge of honor trails. Now, we have cold drinks and snacks in the Truck 24/7. It really is a game changer... It is portable, so, if I have to use the bed, I just take the fridge and battery out. The Engel automatically switches from AC to DC, so, when the truck is running, it is charging the battery and running the fridge. DC from the battery switches on when the truck is off. I just use the AC outlet in the back of the Rubicon bed.
Note: I am now using a set of jumper cables in a bag as a cushion between the maxtrax and the Engel.
Note2: The Engel has a basket with all the goods... So, you can pull the basket out, re-arrange the goods, then, put it back in... You never have to remove the Fridge from it's location to re-pack your goods. I do recommend this feature no matter what fridge you get.

Jeep Gladiator Cooler vs Fridge k5Db1f

Jeep Gladiator Cooler vs Fridge 7AaamT

BGH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Finance
I’ve found the better igloos and such to do better at keeping things cold for longer than my expensive grizzly and yeti coolers. I use the spendy ones only when I need bear protection. Really, the several-hundred-dollar cooler racket is crazy unless you have some really specialized needs.

Sponsored

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I’ve found the better igloos and such to do better at keeping things cold for longer than my expensive grizzly and yeti coolers. I use the spendy ones only when I need bear protection. Really, the several-hundred-dollar cooler racket is crazy unless you have some really specialized needs.
Our Yeti 65 and Rtic 30 (35? small one) hold ice better than our previous plastic coolers, from Igloo and Coleman. I tried a cheap Ozark Trail small cooler and the ice melted within a day. It was s**t.

Our last vacation in Jackson and Moab I replaced ice about 3-4 days. The water was super cold, so it's not like the food would spoil. And Moab was 100-104 when we were there. In a black Expedition. With failing AC. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

We recently moved to a fridge and we have 12v in the bed and a couple EcoFlow Rivers.

OP
OP

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
As stated earlier we picked up the ORCA. Going on a 3 day trip this weekend so see how it works out. Have two gallon jugs of ice right now in it.

Maccam26

First Name
Marc-Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Once you have a powered fridge you'll find you use it for stuff other than camping. I've done road trips for work and taken it with groceries for the week and drink/snacks for the trip. Around the holiday's our house fridge gets full and we put the overflow into the Dometic.
Great way to sell this to the wife!!

BGH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Finance
This Rubbermaid cooler is by far the best cooler I’ve ever owned for regular cooler kinds of duties. It’s kept ice on hot 4 day river floats as well as doing well on lots of camping, hunting and fishing jobs. It stood up to frequent abuse and neglect. It’s lightweight. Doesn’t need to be “pre-cooled”. More durable than most cheap coolers. It always surprises me how disappointed I am with my 2 Yetis compared to this. Those yetis are now relegated to cool fall elk hunting trips in grizzly country. Yetis after all really are bulletproof and can be bolted shut to boot.
Jeep Gladiator Cooler vs Fridge 69B3C9D9-8D24-47B2-AA4E-490BAEE54A18

Sponsored

OP
OP

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
So I'll update for those that care. I was a bit skeptical on the cooler, even after all the reviews. I was out of town for work and wife could not find block ice so she took 2 gallon jugs and put them in the freezer over night. Next morning she put them in the cooler in our kitchen. We have the AC on in the house but at 75. This was on Thursday after she got home from work (around 5). Friday AM she loaded it with water bottles and monster (from the fridge). The gallon jugs where partially melted already and I told her we would take anyway. Set in back seat for ride with AC on in the JT for a 6 hour ride to TN. We grabbed dinner, then stopped a couple stores and finally to the hotel around 630. I carried the cooler up to the hotel room. Did not open it. We went out for drinks and in the AM loaded up the JT for the event we were going to. I loaded the cooler in the back seat and we headed to breakfast (7am). After breakfast we hit the car wash to eliminate some of the bugs from the trip out, fueled the JT with some "real" gas and grabbed a bag of ice.

When we got on site to the event I pulled the cooler from the back seat, opened the top and put the cooler in the bed under my soft tanoo cover. We were parked in direct sun all day. Around 2 or so we left to head to lunch and some riding thru SMNP. We drove home after that and stopped for dinner. We got home just at dark and didn't want to unload. It was 74 outside when I walked in the house. This morning after breakfast and stuff I unloaded the cooler. It was close to 10 and was already 80 outside. When I opened the cooler I was shocked to see well over half a bag of ice. IT was close to 3/4 with about 1/2" of water in the bottom of the cooler.

So all in all I was pleased. I think if we would have thrown some ice in it a day earlier it may of been even better. I have a trip planned in July and the cooler will be either under the cover in the bed of the JT or on the back seat (room permitting).

My only complaint is getting it open after its cold ! Both wife and I tried. Only way was to crack the drain plug. It wasn't a deal breaker but need to remember if i do it in the JT and there is water in the bottom it may get out !

All in all very happy with the Orca. Its night and day different than the Pelican 40 I have which is good and bad. I'm a huge Pelican fan and disapointed in both of my Pelicans.

As with every thing YMMV but min went well.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
<snip>

All in all very happy with the Orca. Its night and day different than the Pelican 40 I have which is good and bad. I'm a huge Pelican fan and disapointed in both of my Pelicans.

As with every thing YMMV but min went well.
It's been recommended to "pre-cool" coolers (read online, never an owners manual for a cooler- right? ;) ) and I notice a big difference when I do that with our Yetis.

OP
OP

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Yup. Thats what I read. I precooled the pelicans for a week.

Almost

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD & 09 JKU
So for those going the cooler route when parked, I would recommend opening your tonneau cover up to let the heat out. Not only will it help save ice but I found out this weekend with my Rtic 65 baking underneath it got hot enough to actually warp the lid and broke the seal creating a gap at the center point.

I took it out of the bed and sprayed it with water to cool it down and it returned to shape with no issues or damage. I have the Rugedridge Armis roll up which has aluminum slats in it and it gets insanely hot to the point where it's actually uncomfortable to roll up and touch. Going to have to either ratchet strap the cooler to keep the lid shut or find a piece of foam or something to set on top to help insulate it from the heat the tonneau cover is putting off.
Sponsored