Sponsored

Dealer didn’t put oil in after changing filter?

Sprinkler-Fitter

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Installed fire sprinklers (retired)
The service work done on that oil change is on video. They can all watch what happened in that 10 min window your truck was in there getting done.
How do you know every jeep dealer films every oil change? I’ve never heard of them filming people working all day.
Sponsored

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
How do you know every jeep dealer films every oil change? I’ve never heard of them filming people working all day.
The only time I ever had that happen with me was when I had my last vehicle. 2017 Tacoma went in for brake work and the rims were taken off then put back on after work was done. Two days later I went to retorque the lug nuts and I found they were set to 130lbs! The Tacoma spec is 86lbs.

I went back in after I loosened them all off and retorqued to 86lbs. Service manager swore up and down this NEVER happens and dodged all my accusations.

He took my torque bar to check it and while he was gone to the back, I noticed a tech and 3 other managers and formans watching some video in the office. Short time later the service manager came back with my bar apologizing that after checking the video, they noticed the tech grabbed the torque bar for the tundra and not the Tacoma.

Quality Assurance Manager came out and said they would replace all my wheel nuts for safety reasons and apologized as well.

There’s enough cameras in there to watch what the techs are doing.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
There’s gotta be some techs on here that can confirm if that’s true or not.

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Caretaker to various super cars
Occupation
Sales
Higher end dealerships will give the video of your vehicle if requested. We get updates from BMW of starting the day, mid day, and end of the day w/ videos. It's nice

Sponsored

In3briatedPanda

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Freedom Edition Max Tow
Occupation
Automotive
work at a dealer. there are three cameras in the parts department and two in the shop that can see every bay.

i doubt anyone is watching all day, but i could pinpoint a techs bay, a specific vehicle, find the date and time from the RO, and pull it up on the cameras. Anyone would be able to tell if an LOF was done or not while watching the video.

We actually use it more for guests who claim we damaged their vehicle while in service.

Cameras everywhere at the dealer im at.

Edit: Lexus brand for curious minds.

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Tow truck driver started it 2 hours later when he arrived and it had 76psi or so but started dropping pretty quickly as I guess it was warming back up. We shut it off again and towed it home.
It annoys me that these guys do this ... if it would start we never would have called.... and what if it was a timing chain or something that would caused additional damage during a restart attempt? I had a Nissan Titan that went dead ... tow truck driver cranked the crap out of that thing. I eventually was "Dude ... it's not going to start"

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
It annoys me that these guys do this ... if it would start we never would have called.... and what if it was a timing chain or something that would caused additional damage during a restart attempt? I had a Nissan Titan that went dead ... tow truck driver cranked the crap out of that thing. I eventually was "Dude ... it's not going to start"
I'm with you! Especially on an oil pressure issue.

Sprinkler-Fitter

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Installed fire sprinklers (retired)
work at a dealer. there are three cameras in the parts department and two in the shop that can see every bay.

i doubt anyone is watching all day, but i could pinpoint a techs bay, a specific vehicle, find the date and time from the RO, and pull it up on the cameras. Anyone would be able to tell if an LOF was done or not while watching the video.

We actually use it more for guests who claim we damaged their vehicle while in service.

Cameras everywhere at the dealer im at.

Edit: Lexus brand for curious minds.
Just left my Chevy dealer, talked to a couple mechanic buddies and never saw any cameras. Maybe they are not obvious though.

Sponsored

In3briatedPanda

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Freedom Edition Max Tow
Occupation
Automotive
Just left my Chevy dealer, talked to a couple mechanic buddies and never saw any cameras. Maybe they are not obvious though.
One of two in the shop.

one of three in parts. Look like retail cameras. I like having them personally. It’s proved me right more than once. Lol.

they are really nice. The Toyota dealer I worked at before here didn’t have any.

285FA4B4-9609-4FA2-8280-75104038BF84.jpeg

1E7B029A-F6FB-4D3F-819C-13051567AE22.jpeg

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S MaxTow
I don't see a lot of oil. If you lost everything while driving I'd expect it to be everywhere.
Just thinking the same... I had the dealer leave off my coolant reservoir cap, and even that relatively "clean" stuff painted the entire engine, underside, rear quarter of the truck, my travel trailer, and probably a few dozen cars with pink stuff! Can't imagine 5 or more quarts of oil!
Must have lost it while sitting, or none was present to begin with.

Koolcarguy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro blue Jt 2012 Gecko green Jk 2021 Gecko
Occupation
Car dealer
I just returned home after several hours stranded at a gas station. After my "service" today I completely lost oil pressure after a 100 mile round trip to my brother in laws house. It appears there was no/very little oil put in after replacing the filter. There was not a drop of oil on the dip stick. the truck was not running normally but I'm a little new to the diesel world so I thought it may have been the cold weather. The truck has been towed to my home and will be towed to the dealer that did the oil change on Monday. I will be there first thing at 7:00am Monday morning and will be expecting some answers.

Could it be anything else potentially?

What are some things I should ask/do to document things now and when I get there Monday? First new vehicle and usually do my own oil changes but took advantage of the 3 free ones with Jeep wave. Never again. Tagging @JeepCares in hopes they can point me in the right direction.
I would ask for a bew motor or a free extended warranty. This happened to my buddy in Ft.Collins the dealer gave him the option of replacement motor or a 200k warranty on the motor in his diesel Jl. He opted for the warranty he caught his after 5 miles same deal no oil in the motor . His motor shut down had it immediately towed back to dealer and within in an hour or so they made him the deal. Good luck

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
Is it possible oil was added, possibly not the correct amount, just shy of the dip stick ?
Also,
I have 3, J-Wave oil changes/tire rotations still on the books. What should I consider/ask the dealership when deciding whether or not to have them change the oil or should I just do it myself ?
For all the DIYers... what is the best way to document your self change for possible future warranty issues or resale ?
Anything special about replacing the oil filter ? Can it be put on wrong ? Over torqued ? I haven't changed the oil yet on my diesel, so is there anything to "look out" for ?
Thanks

Op, please follow-up and let us know what you were able to find out. Good luck !

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
For all the DIYers... what is the best way to document your self change for possible future warranty issues or resale ?
To document my oil changes, I make copies of the dated sales receipts for the oil & filter (the heat activated print on original register receipts can tend to fade out to the point of not being legible over time).

Then I go on the MOPAR Jeep owner web app & enter the oil change info in the Maintenance Record section for my truck.
That way it is included with all service/warranty records for my truck that Jeep has on file, and is able to be easily accessed by any Jeep dealer down the road if needed.

Jeep Gladiator Dealer didn’t put oil in after changing filter? Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 09-17-37 Maintenance Records for Jeep Vehicle Owners Powered by Mopar
Sponsored