Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
Ok controversial take, and one people are pretty passionate about. Lockers.

I bought an Overland- I have owned jeeps with lockers (YJ) and modern jeeps without. (JKU). Unless I'm looking to run off road all the time, or take on deep mud pits or bouldering, I just don't see the need. (BTW grew up with a CJ6 in the garage- Thats the one I really miss)

Background- modern 4wd systems are computer controlled and detect slipping and torque the wheels using braking and transfer case controls, they compensate when there are no lockers and jeep has been making one of the better systems with the Command Trak and Select Track systems. I have had lockers and then didn't and took my JKU just about everywhere (except Cadillac hill) on the Rubicon, through mud and snow in Tahoe and through the desert on washed out sand without issue in 4wd with my XXXX track jeeps.

The couple of times I have thought I needed Lockers, I used my winch or found another line to take that worked for me. Never had issue keeping up with others and I think its made me a better off roader-because I don't hit the cheat button at the first sign of slippage.

There are some amazing video's on Youtube showing how the Track vectoring systems work in non-Rubicon models, 2 opposite wheels off the ground and still crawling..... I'll see if i can find them and post them below.

Given as most Jeeps and Rubicons are never going to see anything besides a deep puddle in a mall parking lot- what are the advantages of the Rubicon. Most of the Rubi owners I see bought it for the writing on the hood that says they bought the most expensive trim.... I guess the Irony is I would probably use the rubi for what it was designed for, I'm just a cheap bastard whose looking for the best deals (and those are almost always on Overlands).
Sponsored

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
For me personally, I'd rather have a LSD, which is one reason why I went with the Max Tow.

But for anyone who actually takes their Jeep offroad, you can't beat lockers and a low crawl transfer case.

At the end of the day, these Jeeps still have Dana 44 solid axles from the 70s, throwing in some neat braking technology cannot replace a true MECHANICAL locker.

/thread

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Agree with above, the LSD or Trac Lok is great, I get no wheel spin on my steep dirt driveway or when pulling my boat out of the water, for everyday use which is 99.9% what my JT does it is the better more useful solution.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
I got stuck in the snow about 2 months ago. I got out of my Jeep and forgot to take it out of gear. I noticed all 4 wheels spinning but not at the same time. They would alternate as the system was trying to detect the most slippage which was all 4 at the same time. Not opposed to lockers but they wouldn't have done me any good in that situation.
52269.jpeg

Sponsored

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Data Analyst
I have an overland as well with the LSD. I was considering getting rear lockers only when one becomes available that isn't air actuated. After this weekend, I may have to re-evaluate. I had to winch out, and mostly everyone with front/rear lockers made it fine. I outlasted a manual rubicon wrangler though so that's something to be proud of ;)

Here's link of the winching...pretty steep hill. little damp with some slick rocks.

Winching video...

CFLgladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
So just to clarify, what you are saying is that the rubicon or Mojave ARE more capable but probably unnecessary unless you don't mind the extra expense.

So you have a winch, probably large tires and a lift, 4 wheel drive, and lsd yet call lockers a cheat button. I'd wager someone without those would call those cheats as well. Also if they were hitting the same trails with less that would also make them a better driver using your same logic.

I have many devices with extra capabilities that I might not need at this time but want for the future. I bet you aren't even using all the apps that can run on your phone or maxing out your computational power of your computer, why bother then?

People use the same argument against fast cars and many other things in life that they personally can't rationalize spending their money on. Just be glad it's not your money and stop trying to justify that you spent the proper amount to get what you want.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
It isn't worth it for me. I keep up fine with all the folks who have lockers just fine. I have been on only two opposing tires and crawled forward without noticing a pause. I prefer my open diffs for their simpler operation, and the Brake Lock Differential feature ensures I have yet to get stuck.

I will second noticing that the tires can spin at different speeds. I once got stuck in mud on my street tires. I wasn't digging in, it was just like running in place. The Jeep was in 4WD and I hopped out, the tires were all spinning, but at different rates (there was someone else in the vehicle). Neat. I eventually got myself unstuck by putting some rocks and wood debris (this was by the river) under the tires and inched my way out. It was at this point I decided to forgo the "daily driver tires and mud tires" as two separate sets as I had seen that my mud terrains in the garage did me no good getting stuck on a city pavement type area where rivermud had overflowed and settled/solidified.

Even adding lockers, there are other things I'd spend $2-3k on.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
There are some amazing video's on Youtube showing how the Track vectoring systems work in non-Rubicon models, 2 opposite wheels off the ground and still crawling..... I'll see if i can find them and post them below.
Please do.

My neighbor shares the drive to his shop with me to access my trailer parking and my shop way back down the hill. All gravel and mud and the snow gets really deep and drifts back there and he doesn't clear it any more - his truck can make it through.
I needed to haul my car trailer to Omaha a year ago last February to pick up some old dealership signs. I had to shovel snow and ice just to get to the tongue on the trailer and shoveled paths for the trailer wheels. I tried in 2 wheel drive and it wasn't going to pull the trailer out and up the hill. I put it in 4H and it walked right out, no problem.
I ran into that multiple times with my Chevy Silverado - no lock system there and it always walked right through the deep stuff, often bumper deep. I am pretty sure this JT Overland will do the same, especially now with 3 peak A/T tires on it. Before it was just the Dueler tires and it pulled the trailer out of the snow bank ok.
I don't expect to ever be in a situation where I NEED lockers and don't miss what I don't have. For some folks it's just going to sit there unused.
For others, it's another way out of a near-impossible situation. Yes, a winch could get a person out - but it's another tool like the Rubicon locker is, and more convenient, even safer than winching. Things can go wrong even for the most careful and most experienced person.

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
Please do.

My neighbor shares the drive to his shop with me to access my trailer parking and my shop way back down the hill. All gravel and mud and the snow gets really deep and drifts back there and he doesn't clear it any more - his truck can make it through.
I needed to haul my car trailer to Omaha a year ago last February to pick up some old dealership signs. I had to shovel snow and ice just to get to the tongue on the trailer and shoveled paths for the trailer wheels. I tried in 2 wheel drive and it wasn't going to pull the trailer out and up the hill. I put it in 4H and it walked right out, no problem.
I ran into that multiple times with my Chevy Silverado - no lock system there and it always walked right through the deep stuff, often bumper deep. I am pretty sure this JT Overland will do the same, especially now with 3 peak A/T tires on it. Before it was just the Dueler tires and it pulled the trailer out of the snow bank ok.
I don't expect to ever be in a situation where I NEED lockers and don't miss what I don't have. For some folks it's just going to sit there unused.
For others, it's another way out of a near-impossible situation. Yes, a winch could get a person out - but it's another tool like the Rubicon locker is, and more convenient, even safer than winching. Things can go wrong even for the most careful and most experienced person.
This video convinced me that the stock/base JL platform was good enough for what I was going to be doing when I was first looking at my Wrangler.
Keep in mind this is with the minivan HT tires and no LSD.

Last edited:

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
This video convinced me that the stock/base JL platform was good enough for what I was going to be doing when I was first looking at my Wrangler.
Keep in mind this is with the minivan HT tires and no LSD.

That video convinced me as well... Maybe if I lived literally in Moab where I could wheel several times per week lockers would make sense.

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
Bad take. I had a sport s with LSD and it literally did nothing for me. Couldn’t get up a few spots without lockers.
Sponsored