Sponsored

Does anyone else think the 3.6L is under powered for the JT?

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I'm looking to tow 5000 lbs somewhat comfortably (tall cargo trailer, mostly).
I sure would like to be able to pull a double-axle Airstream, 23' or so. Hate single-axle trailers, but that camper would be Heavy...
Sponsored

LowOnCash

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Im good with it . Good balance between power and fuel economy. The turbo 4 probably would even have worked for some people. My buddy got the turbo in his Rubicon and loves it. His other vehicle is a Ram 2500 diesel....so he has a pretty solid opinion on torque I have decided that since I do not needed to tow over 5k on a regular basis, this truck will work for me, if towing over 5k I'd get a full size truck as the money factor is the same.
They definitely don't like to pull too much weight - I got my eye on the diesel . . .

Mike

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Considering that when I was learning to drive In the 90s, a typical full size truck with a V8 had less power and torque than the 3.6, no it’s not *underpowered*.

That said, I’d love it if it had MOAR POWER. A lot more.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
It wasn’t that long ago that full size trucks with V8s were making sub 250hp and weighed about the same as the gladiator. We worked them like rented mules and I never remember thinking they were underpowered. My how times have changed.
Internet pretty much ruined that. Prior, nobody realized their manhood size was tied to HP and displacement until they encountered other losers on the internet to tell them so.

Sponsored

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
I would love to see a Gladiator and Wrangler on the same dyno on the same day. Would be interesting to see if Jeep changed any of the stock tuning for the pickup truck application. It sure feels a lot different to me having just stepped out of a JLU and into a JT. Power delivery, engine note, etc. is different.
For what it is worth...I should have my Dyno numbers by the end of the week.

steveale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1951 M38, 2020 Gladiator LE
For what it is worth...I should have my Dyno numbers by the end of the week.
I was told that the JT received a different software program that was supposed to help tune the v6 for improved performance. Nothing more than that...not how it was supposed to improve (details of the SW tune). I think the source was knowledgeable and was not bs'ing. I did not ask for proof or details....shame on me. LOL

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I have done some research into jeeps and horse power. Take a look at the old jeep horse power and the military M38. The horse power was designed to be low, the m151 series was just a 4 cylinder engine a low horse power was designed for a reason. The military wanted low horse power because the soldier had learn how to drive and low power plant did not tend to wheel spin and get bogged down, the same logic applys today, a lot of horse power gets stuck, causes wheel hop that breaks axles, uses a lot of fuel, the need to bury the throttle at times causes a lot of trails issues. I have found that low and slow is better than fast and shit i just broke a axle or blew a axle u joint. Good sound driver technique, trail route selection and Mark 1 eye ball plus attention to rig inspection before and after use helps a lot. I am a old military bugger and look a lot at my gear when on the road and trail. i have saved a lot of grief by a simple look at the gear i am driving or pulling.

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
I was told that the JT received a different software program that was supposed to help tune the v6 for improved performance. Nothing more than that...not how it was supposed to improve (details of the SW tune). I think the source was knowledgeable and was not bs'ing. I did not ask for proof or details....shame on me. LOL
I’ve a 2-dr JLR 6-spd to compare. The JTR is a lot better. Low end and up top too. If I rev out my JLR, or leave it in 3rd gear, it scoots but the JTR, which is heavier, seems to have linear power throughout the curve.

The aerodynamics of the JL/JT seem to be the biggest limiting factor for high speed runs or efficiency.

Good thing 4-low doesn’t need to beat anyone in the 1/4 mile. Unless it’s straight up a mountain!

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I’ve a 2-dr JLR 6-spd to compare. The JTR is a lot better. Low end and up top too. If I rev out my JLR, or leave it in 3rd gear, it scoots but the JTR, which is heavier, seems to have linear power throughout the curve.

The aerodynamics of the JL/JT seem to be the biggest limiting factor for high speed runs or efficiency.

Good thing 4-low doesn’t need to beat anyone in the 1/4 mile. Unless it’s straight up a mountain!
That is really great to hear. Not expecting a race car, but have been worried about the extra weight of the JT. Seems like every other person who posts has the opposite opinion of the 3.6 in the JT.

CMFINC

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR 1976 CJ5 2010 Raptor 89 F-150 4X
Occupation
DISABLED CARPENTER
Vehicle Showcase
Linx said:

It wasn’t that long ago that full size trucks with V8s were making sub 250hp and weighed about the same as the gladiator. We worked them like rented mules and I never remember thinking they were underpowered. My how times have changed.
and thats Y people like me removed cats. and smog pumps. added aftermarket intakes holly carbs head work and cams headers and so on. and run THE GOOD GAS 93 union 76 or 100 Mobil pump leaded good smelling pink tinted gas.. 3-5 miles to the gallon.. AND MAYBE 50,000 MILES OUT OF THAT BAD BOY MOTOR..THOSE WERE THE DAYS..

Deleted member 28696

I currently have a JLU Rubicon and I recently took a lite 3,500lb camper on a trip across Michigan. I feel like the 3.6L with Rubicon gears struggled. I couldn't imagine towing double that to match the new JT towing capacity.

Anyone else with a JLU feel the same?
I would have said that until I geared to 5.13s now it has a decent amount of power. I don’t tow anything substantial but have 37x20 tires, RSI smart cap, steel pier mounts & more it all adds up. Want more power re-gear.
Sponsored