Sponsored

Anyone Else Disappointed on the Specs for the JLU 4xe?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The other key thing here is the combination of power, torque and efficiency.

We're talking about a 375 hp powertrain with 470 ft-lbs of torque that will get you 30 mpg around town and 20ish on the road on long trips.
Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
It’s about torque off the line and quietly cruising short distances on or off-road. If you’re looking for an EV, this isn’t for your wife, it’s for those that understand its advantages.

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
Its not BS. Its all about how you use the truck.

I currently live in a urban area and have a place out in the boonies. Around town, with a full charge, the 4xE could run on all electric, all day. The speeding up and slowing down in urban use that gives gas cars terrible mileage is great for EVs because of the regenerative braking.

Conversely, steady state highway cruising plays to normal gas (and even more so to diesel) use, rather than a hybrid.

So like I said, during the week, it would run essentially 100 electric. On weekends, it would behave like a normal hybrid and give me mileage on the highway no better than a regular gas vehicle.
This is 100% correct. We have the Pacifica Hybrid for the family vehicle and I can tell you that currently we are getting 57MPG. It's only rated at 31 miles on all battery. Most of our trips are less than that to go in to town and all the usual things we need to take care of. We have had the vehicle for a month and have done over 1K of driving and have only filled up 1 time after 644 Miles. This tank has been much more efficient...we just dropped to 3/4 full on gas and have gone over 400 miles.

Essentially it's a number manipulation game and if you can run on battery for almost all your daily activity then it makes sense. I personally have been very tempted to trade in the JT for a JL4Xe. But I do wish it was closer to 50 miles on battery.

FishChowder

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Cmax
Will it act like a normal hybrid with regenerating braking to extend the mpg numbers? I have been driving a Ford C-max hybrid (not the plug in version) for 8 years now. It was my first hybrid and i like it. I have had zero problems with it which has been a pleasant surprise. I have been curious how the JT operate and look forward to seeing some real world numbers. If the price is reasonable I would definitely consider it if it somewhere between todays JTs and my c-max.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
If you are towing over distance, could there be a situation where the battery is depleted to the extent the system Only uses the ICE? If so the 2.0L would be inadequate.

Sponsored

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
You are fooling yourself if you think the 4xe will get 700 miles on a tank of fuel and a full battery charge. That magical 50 mpg number is actually 50 mpge where that magical "e" is some BS mileage estimate when using the battery only.

The Wrangler and 4xe get 20 mpg on the engine only or 400 miles on a full tank of fuel. No change. The battery-only is good for 21 miles. Which means at 50 mpge the battery is only equivalent to 0.5 gallon of gas.

Be sure to carry a spare gas can with you for the hike to the nearest gas station when you run out of power/fuel trying to stretch the range to 700 miles.

As a practical matter, a good CAI, bigger TB, better chip and high flow cat and exhaust will improve range better than the 4xe option at a lower cost with no additional complexity.
they are only claiming 370 miles range. Makes me wonder how big the tank is.

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
This is 100% correct. We have the Pacifica Hybrid for the family vehicle and I can tell you that currently we are getting 57MPG. It's only rated at 31 miles on all battery. Most of our trips are less than that to go in to town and all the usual things we need to take care of. We have had the vehicle for a month and have done over 1K of driving and have only filled up 1 time after 644 Miles. This tank has been much more efficient...we just dropped to 3/4 full on gas and have gone over 400 miles.
How many times did the battery get recharged to get that range? And how much did you pay for the electricity to recharge the battery?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Has anyone real world tested the 392 yet as far as range goes ? The 6.4 JT I was driving this week was averaging 8 mpg.

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
How many times did the battery get recharged to get that range? And how much did you pay for the electricity to recharge the battery?
We recharge daily. So far the cost of driving over just under 1100 miles has been $12 in electricity, $31 in gas. When I had my Nissan Leaf, the average cost to drive 1K was right around $19.

Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
I have chargers at work I can use for free and my round trip is about 15ish miles to my office. If I do this right and use the streets and don't accelerate too quickly (I'm not really a spirited driver anyways) I may be able to get away with using only electric for a while at no real cost to me. I fill up once a week usually and it's around the $12-$15 mark (quarter of a tank). I don't drive much, I'm coming up on the 1 yr mark and I now have 6500 miles on the odo lol.

Also, I keep seeing talk about a 50mile battery claim but I have no idea where anyone saw that. I'll be interested to see what our range will be when it gets to the Gladiator. It may reduce because we're heavier or the tech may enhance before we get it, who knows. I'd like to drive in hybrid and see what I can get too, for those longer trips where I won't be able to go battery only.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Will you be able to charge a 4xe on regular chargers?

Freepbr4me

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
I am, specifically, speaking about the EV only range. We were going to buy the Rubicon for my wife when it was available but 21 miles of range just doesn't seem worth it.?!?! Perhaps we just heard rumors, but we were going to justify it if were more near 50 miles of EV only range. Just disappointed....

Edit: I figure the range on the 4xe JT will be comparable; disappointed!

We were looking at it also for the wife. We ordered the Rivian R1S instead.

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Gladiator Rubicon
Will you be able to charge a 4xe on regular chargers?
Yes, you can use the included charger, or any public station J1772 (standard ev charger)

We picked up the 21' Pacific Hybrid like Br4hm4 , while it has 31 miles on the battery our first tank lasted 611 miles (needle was below empty), and we only went through gas because of a 4 hour road trip. Filled up afterwards and still showing full with another 200 miles on it. We always plug it in when it's at home, or opportunistically if we're out and about and the wife makes mostly short trips around town.

I think the 4xE is going to be a great vehicle for most people as long as you have a good habit of plugging in when at home or when available out and about. If you're just going to drive it around and not use the plug in charging, it's not worth it and you won't have a good experience. PHEV's aren't for the just get in and go crowd, a big reason the new F150 hybrid doesn't have a charger IMO.

I do wish it had more range, but a brick is only going to go through the air so well and it's already an expensive proposition even with the 7500 federal tax rebate. I think my next JT or JL will be a 4xE once the tech matures a bit.

H_pipe

First Name
H-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
I am, specifically, speaking about the EV only range. We were going to buy the Rubicon for my wife when it was available but 21 miles of range just doesn't seem worth it.?!?! Perhaps we just heard rumors, but we were going to justify it if were more near 50 miles of EV only range. Just disappointed....

Edit: I figure the range on the 4xe JT will be comparable; disappointed!

I suspect by the time this makes it to the Gladiator, this 21 mile range will increase. This is their first try at it.

This sounds dumb but it is only “worth it” to those who feel it is “worth it”. If you immediately say to yourself it is not worth it, I would not give it a second thought. Wait till next generation comes out and ask yourself again.

It also appears you can save the battery for when you want it. If you do a lot of wheeling, I assume that 21 miles will get you a lot of funtime off road. Drive to and from the trail with gas...and use electric on the trail!

(Sorry for all the random thoughts- trying to work and type this up at the same time!)
Sponsored