First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
I don't think folks from a lot of parts of the country understand just how fast things can go from bone dry to INSANITY in a few parts of our country. This is in a parking lot (not off the beaten path...driver was not out looking for adventure) at a visitor center at Zion National Park not long ago. Message - expect the unexpected. This guy and his family were in a full size truck and were able to ride it out....others were not as lucky.
Saw that video too. I've seen a river go from not much where we used to wheel as a kid to being 30ft deep and closing down the bridge on a few hours.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Stationed at Offutt AFB and lived in Bellevue just outside of the back gate. Flood plain for the Missouri River. We had some advisories but no water. Folks closer to the river were not so lucky. Stay safe and keep a weather eye out.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I've had a class a attack quint start to move is water that only seemed to come to the foot boards. Water is savage when it's moving.

The jeep in the wash may have had passable conditions when he started and by the time he was trapped it was a different body of water. Good on him to pop the hatch and use the deck for safety.

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Mine will. As long as the engine is turning the pump. But... thats some swift water and once you start to go down you ARE down.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
First time I realized JTs and Wranglers have an emergency rooftop escape hatch.

Are we going to be able to drive electric vehicle underwater if we can hold our breath long enough?

OP
OP
red/green hawk

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
I live in Iowa - floods of 93. I know it's different and even more frequent in some areas, but it was one of those things where water came up into Valley Junction so fast, no warning, people were trapped in stores and cars washed away, homes blown off their foundations.
You pay attention to the weather forecasts around you. We get "flash flood advisory" and "flash flood warning" on our TV screens and phones. And it's not as bad by a long shot as what you've posted.
I lived in Iowa in '93 and remember that flood well. Little different though. That flood was predicated by days of record rainfall. Flash floods in the desert SW is a whole different animal. It can literally be sunny and dry where you are at but within seconds can be swept away by a flash flood coming from a mountain canyon. In Albuquerque there is at least 1 death every monsoon season from somebody messing around in an arroyo in the city when there is a storm on the mountain.

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
We always have to laugh at the vids of Phoenix when a wayward Oldsmobuick tries to cross a flooded intersection and gets swept down the street. You can always see the brake lights as they float away and wonder if they're thinking that its really doing anything. Makes you think you skipped over that chapter in driving lessons explaining the correct course of action driving through a flood. Always steer INTO the current? Feather the brake when submerged? Be sure to leave extra space in front when speed changes from MPH to knots? 🤔

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It's a Land Rover, the electric system is operating normally with a steady oil leak. 🤣
Not many people know that Land Rovers attempted to market a computer. Why did they stop? They could not find a way to get it to leak oil.........

Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation
Technical Sales / Security
Gotta say, the 2nd 1 was a Discovery 1, we had one, leaked like a sieve but man that thing was an animal. Couldn't stop it. Would have lifted and kept but wasn't worth anything.

Land Cruiser 60 series, same

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Would a winch work, submerged?
Well many do work under water I know the 8K Ramsey winch I have has been ran under water a few times.

gouacats

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; JK; WK2
Happens often in southern AZ during the monsoon season. I'm sure the wash wasn't raging when he attempted to cross. On a couple of occasions I've stopped at washes that were less than a foot deep and watched them rise a couple feet in a matter of minutes. This year is a particularly wet monsoon season. At our house yesterday we had an inch of rain fall in just 30 minutes (out of a total of 5 inches for 2021.)
We got more than an inch yesterday as well. We moved into our new place about 2 years ago and did some improvements and grading. I was glad to see that everything was flowing as it should since we've hardly gotten any rain since we moved in and this was the first real test!

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
I joked about water vs. cars above; however, there is a tragic reality. Had this happen up here in Prescott about 8 years ago, friend lost his 5 year old boy to a flash flood. Raining lightly but steady where he was but when he went to cross a wash feeding the Agua Fria, just a few inches of water turned into a couple feet in seconds that swept his Avalanche sideways downstream. Once it stopped in position, the current dug out the riverbed under the truck and pushed it down into it. They kicked out the rear glass and made it to the roof where they waited. His wife fell off and was swept away but managed to make it safely ashore. Swift water rescue teams got his daughter to safety but Jacob got pulled away. Miss that kid, could throw a perfect spiral at that age. Hurts to remember, and is always sobering once my sick mind gets through the humor. Don't mean to add a downer to the thread, but water always wins. Be safe out there, when water is involved please think twice and a third time for good measure. I fear it as much as fire.
Sponsored