Eco diesel or max tow

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Just spouse and I. We think we have settled though on a 4800 lb trailer with a 490 tongue weight from what I've read and gathered that gives me 700lbs for payload and about 1700 lbs before max towing is reached to me this sounds doable but I'm new to the towing game so I could be completely wrong and ignorant
careful with your payload calculation.... 700 lbs includes passengers and everything you add on. WDH is probably 100 lbs, two adults.... 400. This leaves you with 200 lbs for all year gear in the truck which isn’t much. Also many load their trailer down, especially in the front cargo area, this contributes to tongue weight, which decreases payload even more.

My TT is 6000 dry. The tongue weight off the lot with it empty was almost 900. Adding the batteries and filling the propane tanks really adds more than you think.

My advice is be sure and get an actual tongue weight before you drive off the lot. Axel(s) mounted a little too far backwards will really screw with that 10% tongue rule.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Dyzard

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0, 2012 jk
Occupation
Military
careful with your payload calculation.... 700 lbs includes passengers and everything you add on. WDH is probably 100 lbs, two adults.... 400. This leaves you with 200 lbs for all year gear in the truck which isn’t much. Also many load their trailer down, especially in the front cargo area, this contributes to tongue weight, which decreases payload even more.

My TT is 6000 dry. The tongue weight off the lot with it empty was almost 900. Adding the batteries and filling the propane tanks really adds more than you think.

My advice is be sure and get an actual tongue weight before you drive off the lot. Axel(s) mounted a little too far backwards will really screw with that 10% tongue rule.
I appreciate it so basically anything over 4500 probably be better off (mostly for legality purposes) will be the max tow

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Just spouse and I. We think we have settled though on a 4800 lb trailer with a 490 tongue weight from what I've read and gathered that gives me 700lbs for payload and about 1700 lbs before max towing is reached to me this sounds doable but I'm new to the towing game so I could be completely wrong and ignorant
There are a lot of numbers. It takes time for anyone to learn it. I think that on these 1/2 ton trucks, whether it be midsize or fullsize, the KEY is the payload figure because that's what you'll run out of the fastest, and the payload affects towing because the tongue weight of the trailer counts as payload too.

My general advice to anyone looking to tow with these trucks is to get the Max Tow package. The 35-40% increase in payload is a game changer. The Rubicon package and/or the EcoDiesel engine option both kill payload, and that makes it hard to accomodate a family AND trailer into your plans.

OP
OP

Dyzard

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0, 2012 jk
Occupation
Military
There are a lot of numbers. It takes time for anyone to learn it. I think that on these 1/2 ton trucks, whether it be midsize or fullsize, the KEY is the payload figure because that's what you'll run out of the fastest, and the payload affects towing because the tongue weight of the trailer counts as payload too.

My general advice to anyone looking to tow with these trucks is to get the Max Tow package. The 35-40% increase in payload is a game changer. The Rubicon package and/or the EcoDiesel engine option both kill payload, and that makes it hard to accomodate a family AND trailer into your plans.
Now I guess what types of upgrades are people doing to increase performance of the pentastar someone earlier mentioned SC but I don't think that seems right in this setup

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
There's no right or wrong decision. It boils down to preference. I would get the diesel option, not because I think diesel is the best option, but because I know I would be happy with that decision. In my opinion, psychology has a lot to do with how we feel and we respond to a situation. I'm more likely to keep and maintain my vehicle for the long haul if I absolutely love it. I would lose some motivation and enthusiasm for the Pentastar powered Gladiator, but that's just me. Everyone has to decide what is best for their pocketbook and their lifestyle goals.

Sponsored

White Jeep

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2 door Sport S
AS others have said a Diesel will run into "The combined weight of occupants and cargo, should NEVER exceed number. (for my 2020 Overland) 1035 lbs. On Federal sticker on door. This number is different for "EACH" truck produced.

I have seen Diesels have LESS than 1000 lbs of Payload. This has nothing to do with "Max Tow" for the Diesel, it only has to to with the Payload. This payload is effected by ......

WD actual (hitch) weight. Can easily be 125 lbs. (this is the weight of the unit itself)
Hitch Ball weight on a 5,000 lb trailer can easily be 6-700 lbs.
Weight of people in the truck.
Weight of any cargo in the bed.
Pets and their gear.
ETC !!!

Getting to over 1,000 lbs of Payload is REALLY easy to do. NEVER take a MFG figure of hitch weight as gospel !! My 16' Airstream has a published hitch weight of 490 lbs. My actual weight is 560 lbs. This is on a trailer that has a 4,300 GVWR.

All the talk about the how the Diesel will "Pull", and be the best choice. I am sure it will, over the Gas V6. BUT, the payload on a Diesel (different on each truck based on its options) is the number that needs to adhered to.

Bob

Bulldog10

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland Sarge Green Diesel
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Pilot, FAA ATC, Retired Gentleman Farmer Trying to Survive Divorce!
Vehicle Showcase
I am Waiting for My Sarge Green Overland with All the Gadgets and Diesel Because I Just Wanted IT!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Now I guess what types of upgrades are people doing to increase performance of the pentastar someone earlier mentioned SC but I don't think that seems right in this setup
If towing is your goal, I personally wouldn't go the forced induction route. Superchargers produce a lot of heat, and they will alter the heat exchange processes engineered into the engine compartment from the factory. Short term there are people doing it who love it. Long term I'd be worried about dependability.

Most here know that I was one of the first guys towing heavy with the Gladiator and I found the Pentastar engine mated to the 4.10 axle ratio to be just fine. It did a great job and actually got what I consider good MPG while towing compared to my other V8 trucks.

OP
OP

Dyzard

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0, 2012 jk
Occupation
Military
If towing is your goal, I personally wouldn't go the forced induction route. Superchargers produce a lot of heat, and they will alter the heat exchange processes engineered into the engine compartment from the factory. Short term there are people doing it who love it. Long term I'd be worried about dependability.

Most here know that I was one of the first guys towing heavy with the Gladiator and I found the Pentastar engine mated to the 4.10 axle ratio to be just fine. It did a great job and actually got what I consider good MPG while towing compared to my other V8 trucks.
But if you could change anything what would it be? And what types of upgrades should I be considering to be first on the list I'm more leaning towards the max tow currently

Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
But if you could change anything what would it be? And what types of upgrades should I be considering to be first on the list I'm more leaning towards the max tow currently

there are no upgrades besides a brake controller, WDH, stiffer sway bars and airbags that will enhance your towing experience, maybe some D rated tires in the same size as stock. None of these will improve the “jeepness” however.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I'm of the opinion that if you need a diesel for the purposes of towing, you need a bigger truck than a Gladiator. As others have well covered, the payload of this truck is insufficient to tow big.
There are lots of reasons to buy a turbo powered diesel, but that's already been hashed out on this forum. The mid-sized Gladiator would be the perfect tow rig for off-road applications. It can access places and do things that I wouldn't want to do with a 1/2 ton truck. I'm planning to have a Gladiator diesel, Ram 1500 diesel, and Ram 3500 dually diesel. Why? Because they are 3 different trucks for different applications and purposes. But within each segment (1/4 ton, 1/2 ton, and 1 ton), there's the option to buy a gasoline engine or a diesel engine. For me, I will choose the diesel option every time.

ScottLars

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTSSD Granite Crystal Metallic (Korg)
Occupation
Engineer
AS others have said a Diesel will run into "The combined weight of occupants and cargo, should NEVER exceed number. (for my 2020 Overland) 1035 lbs. On Federal sticker on door. This number is different for "EACH" truck produced.

I have seen Diesels have LESS than 1000 lbs of Payload. This has nothing to do with "Max Tow" for the Diesel, it only has to to with the Payload. This payload is effected by ......

WD actual (hitch) weight. Can easily be 125 lbs. (this is the weight of the unit itself)
Hitch Ball weight on a 5,000 lb trailer can easily be 6-700 lbs.
Weight of people in the truck.
Weight of any cargo in the bed.
Pets and their gear.
ETC !!!

Getting to over 1,000 lbs of Payload is REALLY easy to do. NEVER take a MFG figure of hitch weight as gospel !! My 16' Airstream has a published hitch weight of 490 lbs. My actual weight is 560 lbs. This is on a trailer that has a 4,300 GVWR.

All the talk about the how the Diesel will "Pull", and be the best choice. I am sure it will, over the Gas V6. BUT, the payload on a Diesel (different on each truck based on its options) is the number that needs to adhered to.

Bob
Checked the federal sticker on my '21 Sport S 3.0l diesel and it says 1300lb gvwr

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
there are no upgrades besides a brake controller, WDH, stiffer sway bars and airbags that will enhance your towing experience, maybe some D rated tires in the same size as stock. None of these will improve the “jeepness” however.
As for towing, you pretty much covered the bases. By the way, I highly recommend the Timber Grove air bags.

One benefit of the diesel will be tuning options. GDE (and others) will have the 3.0L EcoDiesel tuned for better efficiency which will result in a cleaner engine, more horsepower, more torque, and increased longevity.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
There are lots of reasons to buy a turbo powered diesel, but that's already been hashed out on this forum. The mid-sized Gladiator would be the perfect tow rig for off-road applications. It can access places and do things that I wouldn't want to do with a 1/2 ton truck. I'm planning to have a Gladiator diesel, Ram 1500 diesel, and Ram 3500 dually diesel. Why? Because they are 3 different trucks for different applications and purposes. But within each segment (1/4 ton, 1/2 ton, and 1 ton), there's the option to buy a gasoline engine or a diesel engine. For me, I will choose the diesel option every time.
While I agree there are lots of valid reasons for a diesel JL/JT, I just don't think towing is it. Properly geared, the gas engine tows just fine up to what is reasonable to expect a mid-size pickup to tow. I mean if you're off road in a place an F-150 can't fit, you're not exactly towing a 5k lb camper.

It's sad, really, because if the diesel had a 1,600 lb payload, it would be right there with the best in class and it would actually have the headroom to do what the diesel is best at. Compared to the max tow and proper gearing, there's just no way to really justify it when a fully loaded trailer and two people max out the truck's payload.
Sponsored