First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 21 JT Willys
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
As the title says, what are the pro's and con's? Now is the time before I install my D44's.
Sponsored

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0
Other than saving a quarter mile per gallon with a tailwind down hill I don't see any other advantage to it. Weakest spot in the axle.

OP
OP
JTenn

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Other than saving a quarter mile per gallon with a tailwind down hill I don't see any other advantage to it. Weakest spot in the axle.
Agree!! My thoughts exactly.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Aftermarket d44 or stock? Stock the casted in pinion angle is terrible so you will get driveline vibrations if you get rid of it and turn up your caster to the 6* range or so. Also the 2 piece shaft isnt an issue, just the FAD housing so stock no reason to delete it, but i'd for sure truss it.

If you go aftermarket then thats not a concern

Sponsored

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
I'd be more apt to delete it if I were to change out the whole housing, see more issues with housing at the FAD breaking than the actual FAD tapping out.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
I say keep it and if you're really worried about it, truss the axle tubes and end forgings while you have the axle housing out. I think RCV makes axles that work with the FAD. As other have said, the FAD works well, the FAD housing is the issue.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I prefer to keep the FAD and truss the housing, but I'm not a hardcore wheeler with this truck.

I have to deal with my YJ front driveline vibration because I swapped in the Rubi D44 TJ housing without the FAD and it would be super annoying on the longer trips we take in the JT should the same issue arise.

OP
OP
JTenn

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Great replies and much thanks. Y'all have opened my eyes and changed the direction I was leaning. I don't wheel this truck hard core, and 95% of its life is on the road so i dont want to deal with driveline vibration. I will keep the FAD when I upgrade to the RCV shafts. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Great advice, thanks.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Great replies and much thanks. Y'all have opened my eyes and changed the direction I was leaning. I don't wheel this truck hard core, and 95% of its life is on the road so i dont want to deal with driveline vibration. I will keep the FAD when I upgrade to the RCV shafts. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Great advice, thanks.
For what itā€™s worth, I kept my FAD and have RCV shafts with the FAD. Iā€™ve had zero problems with hardcore trails. Iā€™m keeping it and like how it functions.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That's about what was discovered by a small car company in the 1980s. And thus, they got rid of it in their cars in 1984. It wasn't worth the cost/expense.
Today they do it because of fleet numbers being so strict.
Plus there is a wear factor on the front differential........
You do have more drag because you are spinning the whole differential carrier and putting reverse wear on the pinion and ring gear, but without load, negligible, I suspect.
Without the FAD, you are spinning the carrier all the time, and reverse load on the front ring gear and pinion - spinning the front drive shaft all the time.

OP
OP
JTenn

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
For what itā€™s worth, I kept my FAD and have RCV shafts with the FAD. Iā€™ve had zero problems with hardcore trails. Iā€™m keeping it and like how it functions.
Good to know. Thanks for letting me know that.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
If you donā€™t wheel hard core, the stock shafts are fairly sufficient. What size tires will you be running?

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
JTenn

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
If you donā€™t wheel hard core, the stock shafts are fairly sufficient. What size tires will you be running?
I have 35's. But I just bought a set of Rubicon axles with 5.13 gears. I'm just wanting to build them up a little before I install them. With the 5.13's I can easily go up to 37's if I want but I wouldn't ever go bigger than that.
Sponsored