Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The dealership didnt offer to do the oil swap, they were charging $3400 to me to do that. It was an option out of reach for me and was told Chrysler would not pay for this. Yes, glycol is used in the tooling wash system the assembly plant utilizes. I think the final wash to clear the glycol was missed, maybe disgruntled employee added more than they should have or the end of day buzzer went off and didn’t get done or the coffee buzzer went off at that time …I don’t know but the new service manager said, (where my truck sits) the glycol was deliberately put in there. It doesn’t take much glycol to destroy a transmission, a teaspoon I’m told.

925750B2-5252-469D-8291-8D22838DE5B7.jpeg

249FC1B7-B237-429D-BCF5-5FDC7EF3FB27.jpeg

D81E9D6B-9B88-46B1-8C16-C67EBE13C2E7.jpeg

87DC7E1E-AEF0-43BC-A6CC-D7BAB6E66605.jpeg
No, they were not going to do it for free, but they did offer to do it before bringing it in to do the warranty claim.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
10 in your diagram is actually the transmission heater and is the single only point where coolant and ATF may make contact.
The cooler is a distinct item that's in front of and low in front of the radiator.
There is no coolant in the cooler, the heater - that's the only place they come close to each other.

This is the transmission heater-

Jeep Gladiator FCA Canada voids transmission warranty for using AMSOIL. 1656992390886

Jeep Gladiator FCA Canada voids transmission warranty for using AMSOIL. 1656992439256

This is the cooler -

Jeep Gladiator FCA Canada voids transmission warranty for using AMSOIL. 1656991743307

Jeep Gladiator FCA Canada voids transmission warranty for using AMSOIL. 1656991819587

Jeep Gladiator FCA Canada voids transmission warranty for using AMSOIL. 1656991927056

Jeep Gladiator FCA Canada voids transmission warranty for using AMSOIL. 1656991966766

Jeep Gladiator FCA Canada voids transmission warranty for using AMSOIL. 1656992076326

Jeep Gladiator FCA Canada voids transmission warranty for using AMSOIL. 1656992111078

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
10 in your diagram is actually the transmission heater and is the single only point where coolant and ATF may make contact.
The cooler is a distinct item that's in front of and low in front of the radiator.
There is no coolant in the cooler, the heater - that's the only place they come close to each other.

This is the transmission heater-

Jeep Gladiator FCA Canada voids transmission warranty for using AMSOIL. 1656992111078

This is the cooler -

Yes, correct. It’s the transmission heater. Service manager first thought there was a leak in there. It was good.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I've read in other threads that Glycol is used during production of the transmission housing. If it is not fully rinsed, it will appear if a lab test is done on the fluid. How much it takes to damage a transmission after assembly is not clear. I bet a lot of these would show some Glycol in the fluid if tested. ZF probably accounts for that during production.
Glycol isn't used only for these transmissions, it's one of the most common coolants and lubricants used in milling, drilling and so on. It's an extremely common item used in any sort of industry where aluminum castings (and likely others) are made.
ZF and MOPAR are but a drop in the bucket as far as who uses it.

Jeep Gladiator FCA Canada voids transmission warranty for using AMSOIL. 1656992853221

Jeep Gladiator FCA Canada voids transmission warranty for using AMSOIL. 1656993129678

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I can guarantee that service manager didn't know fuck-all and told you the fluid was put there deliberately because now you're mad at someone else and you're no longer his problem. Service managers are the HR of the auto repair world - their sole purpose is to protect the dealership. They are not your friend no matter how much you think they are.

The lesson here is to never trust someone trying to sell you something and if you are relying on someone to warranty something, follow their requirements in the strictest sense and don't make assumptions.

IMO the fact that the Amsoil supposedly meets the Chrysler spec but does not meet the 8HP ZF spec should be a huge red flag for me. The only ZF spec they include on their list for that fluid is the 6HP and ZF has different fluids even between some 6HP units let alone each generation.

No, they were not going to do it for free, but they did offer to do it before bringing it in to do the warranty claim.
And that was one of those moments where the Service Manager saw an opportunity to both be the hero in lying to Stellantis and saving OP some money while simultaneously making some money for their techs. Had OP accepted then this very likely would have had a different outcome.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
IMO the fact that the Amsoil supposedly meets the Chrysler spec but does not meet the 8HP ZF spec should be a huge red flag for me. The only ZF spec they include on their list for that fluid is the 6HP and ZF has different fluids even between some 6HP units let alone each generation.
That kind of touches on the automotive lubricant fluid world. Many of these manufacturers to include AMSOIL play loose with wording and their spec sheets with things like "equivalent", "compatible", "suitable" and so forth when in the end, only a listed license spec from the OEM is any safe bet.

AMSOIL is not the Jesus Juice it use to be but many of their fluids are still quite good. The problem in the OP's case is that when all said and done, AMSOIL did not ruin his transmission and if it had, AMSOIL has a track record of covering such costs.

At the end of the day, FCA/Stellantis is on the hook for this but is allowing the gray area and distraction of the fluid he used not being licensed as their out because they know most people do not have "F*CK YOU" money to take them to court and shove it back up their corporate ass.

As the OP alluded to, him being in Canada and their weaker consumer protection laws has exacerbate his issue. Had this played out down here in the states, outcome probably would be different but still require some legal action possibly being taken.

In the end, his situation is a cautionary tale that while ethically an owner will do everything right, a corporation like FCA/Stellantis will do everything to roadblock taking responsibility. It is statement that using OEM and/or officially licensed fluids is the path of least resistance when dealing with warranty claims should they arise.

Last edited:

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 23 JL Sahara 4xe
If AMSOIL's spec sheet said it met the requirements, that would be one thing. But it doesn't. It just says to use in applications that require these specifications.
That's a big difference.

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
If AMSOIL's spec sheet said it met the requirements, that would be one thing. But it doesn't. It just says to use in applications that require these specifications.
That's a big difference.
I discovered that if AMSOIL publishes the specifications then their lab determines it meets and exceeds the manufacturer requirements. However, what the data sheet
is missing is the disclaimer that ZF does not approve of AMSOIL’s lab results and use of their oil will void your warranty.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
AMSOIL is not the Jesus Juice it use to be but many of their fluids are still quite good. The problem in the OP's case is that when all said and done, AMSOIL did not ruin his transmission and if it had, AMSOIL has a track record of covering such costs.
It was most definitely a contributing factor. Could have been a marginal transmission pushed over the edge, could have been an error servicing the transmission, and it could have just been the fact that Amsoil builds products that meet certain fluid specifications and not an exact fluid.

That's the real problem here IMO because as I've said in other threads from OP, this isn't the days of MERCON and DEXRON. It's not about just lubrication and shift behavior, modern transmissions are much less tolerant to deviation because they're pushed so hard for efficiency. Especially the 8HP units that are more frequently found in luxury cars than a Jeep.

Like I said, you have multiple parties here were likely nobody was 100% at fault but the implication is that everyone had some fault so everyone uses that as an umbrella. If I had to place most of the blame here, it's on the techs who flushed a transmission not intended to be flushed and Amsoil for making an inferior product. There's a reason the dealership offered to drop the pan and not hook it up to the flush machine.

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
What is your plan to move forward and get a replacement transmission? Sorry to read how this played out.

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
It was most definitely a contributing factor. Could have been a marginal transmission pushed over the edge, could have been an error servicing the transmission, and it could have just been the fact that Amsoil builds products that meet certain fluid specifications and not an exact fluid.

That's the real problem here IMO because as I've said in other threads from OP, this isn't the days of MERCON and DEXRON. It's not about just lubrication and shift behavior, modern transmissions are much less tolerant to deviation because they're pushed so hard for efficiency. Especially the 8HP units that are more frequently found in luxury cars than a Jeep.

Like I said, you have multiple parties here were likely nobody was 100% at fault but the implication is that everyone had some fault so everyone uses that as an umbrella. If I had to place most of the blame here, it's on the techs who flushed a transmission not intended to be flushed and Amsoil for making an inferior product. There's a reason the dealership offered to drop the pan and not hook it up to the flush machine.
The dealership told me they did not have the flush system nor the tech experience to perform this task so two pan drops was suggested.

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
What is your plan to move forward and get a replacement transmission? Sorry to read how this played out.
The plan is two fold. My complaint for action I sent to the top executives and President/CEO was to also deal with my coolant consuming engine (10-12 ounces every oil change) Back last July when it went in for the camshaft replacement misfire, tech said “coolant in the oil was normal” and FCA Techline also said, “coolant leak did not damage the camshaft so will only replace what’s damaged”.

They can push the truck back in and own this repair. This customer actually expects this to be dealt with properly. I could have gotten a better vehicle at Billy Bob’s back yard auto lot and massage parlour.

My insurance is looking at replacing the transmission.

OngsterA

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge Rubicon
Occupation
Software Security
.... and Amsoil for making an inferior product.
Not a blanket statement like this. In this specific case, it is just the transmission fluid that is not part of the design process of the ZF auto, regardless of what the product says on its specs. Always best when dealing with a major component like this to stick with OEM during the warranty period. FYI, I've been using Amsoil in my track car with no issues, as with many others that do.

2TH MVR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD. Audi A7, Alfa Romeo 4C
Occupation
Orthodontist
Situation sucks for OP. Just seems like best course of action for most owners is to follow the OEM manufacturers recommendations.

I'm not saying these other after market fluids are not better than OEM. But I do not have the time to deal with a situation like the OPs. I don't want to deal with anything that may go against the factory warranty. Just like fuel additives for my diesel. Nope. Not risking a future warranty situation. Manual pretty clear that additives are not recommended.

As OP stated. Learn from this and move on.
Sponsored