Sponsored

For those that have the bad steering box...let's talk.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
This is interesting. I've been on the fence on taking mine in because the issue is subtle at best for me, but I've wondered if it's just a matter of time? I'm only at 6K miles so it's nice to see perspective with higher miles and doing something you'd expect the able to do no problem with the truck. As for now, my steering's been fine but I should probably make moves on the TSB
I bought an extended warranty on mine just because I rack up miles faster than most...my last truck was out of the factory warranty in 10 months, but I figure a brand new part at 29,000 miles gives me 29,000 more miles of wear and tear and peace of mind even if I didn't necessarily mind the steering...lucky for me, my dealership had no problems doing the work. They were already familiar with the TSB, had boxes in stock (I only had to wait for the bolts to come in) and got me scheduled right away. And now I don't have to worry about fighting with them later if I lift my Jeep
Sponsored

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
I've had no issue with my steering so far (Overland). It doesn't steer as nice as some of my other vehicles but they are completely different from a Jeep. Anyway, no wander or dead spots.

I did an 800 mile trip with my brother a few weeks ago (started with about 1400 mi. on odometer). I purposely didn't mention anything about the steering knowing he would share some of the driving time. I waited several days after the trip to ask him about it. He looked at me like I was crazy and asked why I was asking about the steering. Needless to say, he didn't notice any issues either. And, that was at 65-75 mph on the interstate. I've since gone with Rubicon take-offs and still haven't noticed an issue.

I guess I got lucky. Although, I do feel bad for everyone who wasn't .

LAJEEPR

First Name
Jimmie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve only had my JTR for a month but it is a Nov 2019 build so it has the aluminum steering box. I’ve tried to determine if I have the issue but I only have my last Jeep (2015 JKU) as a reference and that steering was loose always.

When people mention “dead zone” does that mean loose play in the steering wheel with no response in the steering system? With wheel dead center I have about 15 degrees left or right of center I can move the steering wheel without a change in direction. The truck tracks pretty straight but with this looseness I can’t be sure when it will stray suddenly.

OP
OP
Stonesolo

Stonesolo

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport S
Occupation
Printer
I’ve only had my JTR for a month but it is a Nov 2019 build so it has the aluminum steering box. I’ve tried to determine if I have the issue but I only have my last Jeep (2015 JKU) as a reference and that steering was loose always.

When people mention “dead zone” does that mean loose play in the steering wheel with no response in the steering system? With wheel dead center I have about 15 degrees left or right of center I can move the steering wheel without a change in direction. The truck tracks pretty straight but with this looseness I can’t be sure when it will stray suddenly.
Yes...loose play with no response is what they referr to as the dead spot.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was ok but I added the Synergy Sector Shaft and Trackbar brace as insurance for 37” tires. I think it helped by eliminating box flex. However, the brace won’t help if the box internals are shot. Need to get that fixed. What I don’t know is if the steel box still flexes as much as the Aluminum one does. If it flexes, the TSB switch out alone without bracing might just be addressing a symptom and the same wandering will show up down the road.

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I have the bad box but my jeep drives ok with it. It's probably not nearly as bad as some with maybe about 1/2" dead spot. I do find myself correcting slightly tho. Any here that don't really have complaints with it and will you just keep the old box or at some point before the warranty is up get it replaced? I'm probably one of the few that don't have big issues with it but when I take it in for my 3000 mile oil change I most likely will address it with the dealer and I'll be honest about it. The last thing I want is for them to mess it up worse.."if it ain't broke don't fix it". But at some point before the warranty is up, unless it starts getting worse i'll probably want it replaced. Are you fellow jeepers going to keep the box if you show no signs of problems?
On my JT Rubicon Manual, it was not too bad. It started at a little less than an inch of play and ended up a little more than an inch of play at 16K miles. I had to take mine in for the first dealer visit to do the clutch recall at 16K miles. I printed out the steering TSB and told them to check it out, it seems like too much play. They checked it out, and agreed. I took the truck back. About 3 or 4 weeks later, the parts came in. I made my appointment and got the steering box replaced in one day. It was a pleasant experience at the dealer. I noticed the improvement right away. It is only about 1/4" to maybe 1/3" of play now. It is worth it to get it done, especially if you are doing any towing. Personally, I could have lived with it like it was, my old FJ62 has a ton more steering wheel play, but, now that the job is done, I really like the new steering box much better.

BBoyles

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired USMC
I have the bad box but my jeep drives ok with it. It's probably not nearly as bad as some with maybe about 1/2" dead spot. I do find myself correcting slightly tho. Any here that don't really have complaints with it and will you just keep the old box or at some point before the warranty is up get it replaced? I'm probably one of the few that don't have big issues with it but when I take it in for my 3000 mile oil change I most likely will address it with the dealer and I'll be honest about it. The last thing I want is for them to mess it up worse.."if it ain't broke don't fix it". But at some point before the warranty is up, unless it starts getting worse i'll probably want it replaced. Are you fellow jeepers going to keep the box if you show no signs of problems?
Just got my overland back after 5 weeks in shop getting new engine. My dealer said they can't order steering box until after Nov 7 because so many are on back order. Can't keep my overland from drifting left without constant correction.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
The TSB is not for all 2020 Gladiators - only ones with excessive steering looseness.

I knew all about the issue from reading threads on this forum before my Overland was delivered (I special ordered before Covid shutdown). So naturally that was really on my mind when I got it. I can honestly say the steering is fine, so why should I take it in for the TSB?

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was minor but drifted from day one. Get it just for a piece of iron instead of alluminum. Did get better after replacement.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The TSB is not for all 2020 Gladiators - only ones with excessive steering looseness.

I knew all about the issue from reading threads on this forum before my Overland was delivered (I special ordered before Covid shutdown). So naturally that was really on my mind when I got it. I can honestly say the steering is fine, so why should I take it in for the TSB?
It's for any 2020 JT that has any of the described symptoms, not just "play".
Wander, pull, play, etc. - that's what it's for.
Mine had no looseness. It wandered but there wasn't excessive play.
My wife once said, while she was driving back from Indiana "I hope there's no cop behind us, they'll think I'm drunk"
And she kept asking me why I wasn't able to keep it between the lines.
I didn't really notice but then I have had cars with waay over 100,000 miles and wandering steering so maybe I was used to it. She was not.
I took it in and let the dealer decide. They said it had a problem even though I didn't push. I told them I wanted them to decide. I only told them what my wife had said.

These should handle like any other small pickup or many cars. There's ZERO reason for it not to and just because it's a Jeep is no excuse. We've had several GCs with solid axles and they handled more like cars - these should, too.
People need to stop comparing these to old Jeeps - this is 2020, and there's zero reason for a solid axle vehicle to not handle just fine, even like my Chevy did. This truck does at least as well as my 2011 Silverado did.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Long story short, do the TSB. The aluminum boxes are junk.
They are worse at hot ambient temperatures. I think that was part of my thing - the first several months of ownership were winter and/or cold. They will never get better - and most likely would get worse. I can't seen anyone assuming "oh, no use, it wont' get any worse" - and if it does, right out of warranty? Then what?

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I’m in the same boat. I noticed less than stellar steering when I first purchased, but since a lift and 12.5 wide 35s it is a little tighter. More resistance I suppose. There is a little bit of a dead spot, but I’m not sure I want to get it “fixed”. I read about folks having issues with low power steering fluid afterward and having to bleed the line, add more, etc. I’m not really interested in that headache.
I'm in this same boat

I've always noticed a bit of "vagueness" that's now worse since I put 35s on it but I still can't tell whether it a problem or just the fact its a solid front axle and now it has 12.5" wide 35 MTs

Since my first car was a 30 year old Tempest with a swapped 400 my ideas of what bad steering are might be different than others

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
It's for any 2020 JT that has any of the described symptoms, not just "play".
Wander, pull, play, etc. - that's what it's for.
I don't have any of that. I still maintain that not all 2020 Gladiators are supposed to get the TSB. Mine ain't broke, why should a fix it?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I wish everyone would stop blaming things on solid axle. That's myth more than fact today. A properly aligned solid axle vehicle won't wander. Now taller tires and wrong wheel offset, yeah, you have things screwed up then.

People toss on taller tires, wheels with different offsets and backsets and they totally totally mess with the scrub radius and then wonder - why is this steering flaky?
When you have excessive scrub radius, either positive or negative, the steering is more susceptible to road shock among other issues.
So if you get that wandering feeling, wobbly steering, bump-steer and other fun stuff - might check your scrub radius. If you put on very tall tires or moved the wheels way out - do not blame the solid axle!! The same problems will happen with IFS be it SLA or McPherson strut.
It's not the solid axle.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have any of that. I still maintain that not all 2020 Gladiators are supposed to get the TSB. Mine ain't broke, why should a fix it?
Do you know it's not? I let the dealer decide.
Took it in, they said yes.
My other reason was - what if something happens when there's 36,001 miles on it or 36.5 months on it and suddenly, the steering feels loose?
This way - it's got the better steering gear and all future updates to software MAY take this into account. Dunno, but I figured why not?
Sponsored