Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Can somebody with the new gen 3 genesis system maybe take some pics and measurements for me?

i am trying to figure out some mounting options for a couple things and will need to figure out how and where to mount them. The list is below. But it would be helpful to know how much room on the battery side fender is actually left available after the install of the genesis system to show what mounting ootions are available. I know some have mounted a solenoid for winch, or a small fuse block, but I have a more specific planned setup.

Items currently on battery side fender
  • Spros switch module
  • 2 relays to dim LED lights
  • 2 80a breakers

Items planned for the future
  • Spros module
  • 1 winch solenoid
  • wiring for front and rear winch
  • 2 relays to dim lights
  • 2 80a breakers
Sponsored

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Following. This is interesting

What lights will you dim?
I have 4 Baja Designs XL80’s that are pretty bring. When dimmed theyre about as bright as the factory LED high beams. And with the amber cover its about perfect for snowstorms and thick fog.

Matts4313

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Max Tow
I am highly interested in this thread as I am having a lot of battery/audio related concerns lately. Looking forward to hearing from other people.

While were at it, can someone sell me on the idea of the Genesis vs something like the Keyline 300A Dual Battery kit? Its about $500 less right now (not including the batteries, so another ~$350 in savings), and if I am understanding it correctly, it would add a 3rd battery? Obviously you have to mount that 3rd battery somewhere, but it perusing threads it looks like there is a spot in the rear passenger wheel well.

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Battery-Isolator-KeyLine-Chargers/dp/B08TM748F8/ref=sr_1_1?crid=Y7X72FJW5IZG&keywords=dual+battery+kit+jeep+jt&qid=1666299754&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjU3IiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ==&sprefix=dual+battery+kit+jeep+jt,aps,94&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0&th=1

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I am highly interested in this thread as I am having a lot of battery/audio related concerns lately. Looking forward to hearing from other people.

While were at it, can someone sell me on the idea of the Genesis vs something like the Keyline 300A Dual Battery kit? Its about $500 less right now (not including the batteries, so another ~$350 in savings), and if I am understanding it correctly, it would add a 3rd battery? Obviously you have to mount that 3rd battery somewhere, but it perusing threads it looks like there is a spot in the rear passenger wheel well.

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Battery-Isolator-KeyLine-Chargers/dp/B08TM748F8/ref=sr_1_1?crid=Y7X72FJW5IZG&keywords=dual+battery+kit+jeep+jt&qid=1666299754&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjU3IiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ==&sprefix=dual+battery+kit+jeep+jt,aps,94&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0&th=1
The Genesis systems don't add a 3rd battery - they get rid of the smaller aux battery in the wheel well area and set you up with 2 matched batteries in place of your current crank battery.

Looks to me like the one you linked to on Amazon is a very different system, meant to add aux batteries for accessories and power equipment, not to replace the current Jeep setup with two identical batteries instead of what they come with. Doesn't look like a replacement system, looks like a very different purpose.

Frankly, IF I were to do such a thing, I'd stick with Genesis. Tried and proven and a lot of users here who can help support it. It comes with the tray to fit the Jeep and replace the current tray, etc.

Sponsored

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Can somebody with the new gen 3 genesis system maybe take some pics and measurements for me?

i am trying to figure out some mounting options for a couple things and will need to figure out how and where to mount them. The list is below. But it would be helpful to know how much room on the battery side fender is actually left available after the install of the genesis system to show what mounting ootions are available. I know some have mounted a solenoid for winch, or a small fuse block, but I have a more specific planned setup.

Items currently on battery side fender
  • Spros switch module
  • 2 relays to dim LED lights
  • 2 80a breakers

Items planned for the future
  • Spros module
  • 1 winch solenoid
  • wiring for front and rear winch
  • 2 relays to dim lights
  • 2 80a breakers
I don't have the Genesis but I have a similar style setup that I bet takes up around the same amount of space. I thought that the new Gen 3 system already had "extra" terminals for winch, lights etc? Maybe you don't need that space? I was able to mount up a Blue Sea positive 4 slot bus bar at the front of my lid for accessories.

My SwitchPros is mounted on the driver side using a Power Trays alloy bracket. (currently V6 GAS option only)

Jeep Gladiator Genesis system - how much space after install PXL_20210715_173120630

Jeep Gladiator Genesis system - how much space after install PXL_20210715_173140749

Jeep Gladiator Genesis system - how much space after install PXL_20210715_173336422

Matts4313

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Max Tow
The Genesis systems don't add a 3rd battery - they get rid of the smaller aux battery in the wheel well area and set you up with 2 matched batteries in place of your current crank battery.

Looks to me like the one you linked to on Amazon is a very different system, meant to add aux batteries for accessories and power equipment, not to replace the current Jeep setup with two identical batteries instead of what they come with. Doesn't look like a replacement system, looks like a very different purpose.

Frankly, IF I were to do such a thing, I'd stick with Genesis. Tried and proven and a lot of users here who can help support it. It comes with the tray to fit the Jeep and replace the current tray, etc.
I am aware of what Genesis does, which is why I mentioned needing 2 new identical batteries instead of one in this set up. But this looks like it achieves the same exact goal (additional battery capacity/more reliable power). The only difference is you are offloading the AUX to the new 3rd battery, reducing the stress on the stock set up where as Genesis uses a smart circuit to bridge the batteries and ensure one of them is always 100%

I belive @Mr Bill did this (add the third battery), correct?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have the Genesis but I have a similar style setup that I bet takes up around the same amount of space. I thought that the new Gen 3 system already had "extra" terminals for winch, lights etc? Maybe you don't need that space? I was able to mount up a Blue Sea positive 4 slot bus bar at the front of my lid for accessories.

My SwitchPros is mounted on the driver side using a Power Trays alloy bracket. (currently V6 GAS option only)

Jeep Gladiator Genesis system - how much space after install PXL_20210715_173336422

Looks like a show piece. Well done.

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I just finished mine. Not the Gen 3 (they released it days after I bought the kit, so the Gen 3 upgrade is arriving tomorrow). In any case, that shouldn’t impact it because you can’t do much in that area anyways. Here’s how I solved having a winch solenoid and two relays in that area, hope it gives you ideas:

Jeep Gladiator Genesis system - how much space after install BEF6B78F-9F48-4D77-A209-21DC65F70E44

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
In any case, that shouldn’t impact it because you can’t do much in that area anyways.
You can't?

I have winch wiring, snow plow wiring, snow plow fuse, winch solenoid under the snow plow fuse, aux switch terminal strip, wiring for the snow plow light triggers under the winch solenoid........

Jeep Gladiator Genesis system - how much space after install 20221007_124507_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Genesis system - how much space after install 20221007_124540_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Genesis system - how much space after install 20221020_161956

Sponsored

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
You can't?

I have winch wiring, snow plow wiring, snow plow fuse, winch solenoid under the snow plow fuse, aux switch terminal strip, wiring for the snow plow light triggers under the winch solenoid........
The panel for the dual battery kit - that area is basically off limits regardless of the original design vs. gen 3.

StingGrayJT24

First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon Gladiator
While people “know” what the Genesis setup does, what many don’t know and Genesis doesn't tell you unless you ask about it, is that their setup prevents your ESS from working properly. It only works for 6 start/stop events before it throws an error and disables ESS until you turn the vehicle off and start it back up.

A lot of folks will say, that’s fine, I don’t like ESS or they say they will just disable it. To each their own,, but there are people who utilize this feature and if they think because this dual setup replaces the smaller battery that is notorious for failing, they will be surprised when they find out it actually prevents the ESS from working properly. If you like ESS and you want to use it to its fullest, I recommend replacing the smaller battery.

How do I know this? Because before I purchased the setup, I specially asked and the owner said the ESS will continue to work just like factory. What he didn’t mention is this is for only the first 6 start/stops. It wasn’t until I came across the issue and asked about what was happening was I told, oh yeah, it’s because of the IBS sensor. Sorry.

Beside this, the dual setup is fine. I would like to upgrade to the 3rd generation, but forget it. Not for $450.

BTW, for those interested., the 3rd generation doesn’t resolve the issue with ESS. Hopefully this saves someone who is fed up with their small battery not working and think this solution will fix their ESS issue.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
While people “know” what the Genesis setup does, what many don’t know and Genesis doesn't tell you unless you ask about it, is that their setup prevents your ESS from working properly. It only works for 6 start/stop events before it throws an error and disables ESS until you turn the vehicle off and start it back up.

A lot of folks will say, that’s fine, I don’t like ESS or they say they will just disable it. To each their own,, but there are people who utilize this feature and if they think because this dual setup replaces the smaller battery that is notorious for failing, they will be surprised when they find out it actually prevents the ESS from working properly. If you like ESS and you want to use it to its fullest, I recommend replacing the smaller battery.

How do I know this? Because before I purchased the setup, I specially asked and the owner said the ESS will continue to work just like factory. What he didn’t mention is this is for only the first 6 start/stops. It wasn’t until I came across the issue and asked about what was happening was I told, oh yeah, it’s because of the IBS sensor. Sorry.

Beside this, the dual setup is fine. I would like to upgrade to the 3rd generation, but forget it. Not for $450.

BTW, for those interested., the 3rd generation doesn’t resolve the issue with ESS. Hopefully this saves someone who is fed up with their small battery not working and think this solution will fix their ESS issue.
I'm sort of surprised it's due to an IBS issue - the IBS only tracks current into and out of the crank battery, not the aux battery.
The PCM isolates the aux battery from the crank battery during a start sequence and apparently is checking the aux battery voltage, then they are reconnected in parallel - however, because of the IBS location electrically, it can only track into and out of the crank battery.

For me the cost is prohibitive, and the space used. I see no need for it, personally.
But if you have more on the IBS as it relates to this setup and the ESS not working with it - I'm interested.

StingGrayJT24

First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon Gladiator
But if you have more on the IBS as it relates to this setup and the ESS not working with it - I'm interested.
I don’t, but I wish i did or knew how to fix it. I actually like the ESS. I was just bummed because I went from a failing ESS battery to a system that can’t get it to work like it supposed to. I assume if they knew how to fix it, they would, but as of their 3 gen release - it was a no go. I just wish they put that disclaimer in their advertising. I probably would have still bought the setup, but at least I would have known about it ahead of time instead of dropping $1,100 and being disappointed because I wanted that feature to work. I see a lot of posts in ESS threads where others recommend replacing the ESS battery with the Genesis, but they may not know it actually prevents it from working properly.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester

I absolutely despise the ESS system and it is always turned off except for when I forget. So I'm not upset about hearing it doesn't work properly.

I'm sort of surprised it's due to an IBS issue - the IBS only tracks current into and out of the crank battery, not the aux battery.
The PCM isolates the aux battery from the crank battery during a start sequence and apparently is checking the aux battery voltage, then they are reconnected in parallel - however, because of the IBS location electrically, it can only track into and out of the crank battery.

For me the cost is prohibitive, and the space used. I see no need for it, personally.
I think I have calculated that I can get by with the small group 24 battery for a night or two of camping. This would eliminate another battery in the bed. And also eliminate the tiny and annoying aux battery. I also like the buss bars of their new gen. If jeep would have done better and made a second battery the same size as the first then I probably wouldn't have an issue with their system. But, everything about that tiny battery just gets on my nerves.
Sponsored