Sponsored

Gladiator and Defrost

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
the design ofctgw ductwork has been an issue for both JT and JL the afternarket plugs help ... but it is an issue FCA should address
Sponsored

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Resurrecting this old thread since I am finally bringing my truck in to have the dealer assess my defrost issues before the winter comes.

Has anyone successfully had this issue addressed/fixed? It seems plenty of Gladiators donā€™t have this issue, so Iā€™m just curious what the actual fix is for those that do experience it.

Also, @JeepCares, Iā€™d like to connect about this issue before I bring it in on the 22nd of this month.

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Resurrecting this old thread since I am finally bringing my truck in to have the dealer assess my defrost issues before the winter comes.

Has anyone successfully had this issue addressed/fixed? It seems plenty of Gladiators donā€™t have this issue, so Iā€™m just curious what the actual fix is for those that do experience it.

Also, @JeepCares, Iā€™d like to connect about this issue before I bring it in on the 22nd of this month.
I imagine the people who don't have this as an issue don't live in climates where the windshield freezes up on a daily basis. I've not heard of a permanent fix, just the little plugs spaced out along the defroster, and learning to live with it I'd guess.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
unless you deflect the center defrost, the outer edges of the windshield will not properly defrost and then your wipers will accumulate ice on outer edges making driving in snow/ slush an issue.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

If you want @JeepCares to get involved, you have to send them a private message requesting it.

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)

This is one of those issues that is not going to give you any satisfaction at the dealerā€¦ the cost of the plugs is so insignificant in comparison to the time you will spend at the dealer that you should just order the plugs and fix it yourself. Coincidentally I just came across left over plugs I used and it took me a minute to remember what I had them for!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I imagine the people who don't have this as an issue don't live in climates where the windshield freezes up on a daily basis. I've not heard of a permanent fix, just the little plugs spaced out along the defroster, and learning to live with it I'd guess.
Really?
Iowa's ice storms and rain that turns to freezing rain and then snow don't count.

Frankly, I've never owned a vehicle that was perfect with defrost - don't know about the 2022 yet but my 2020 was no worse than any other vehicle I've ever owned.
Are people comparing these to cars, maybe?

For those mentioning wipers freezing - defrosters don't warm the wipers, some are prone to icing.
Defrosters warm the glass.
I've had many vehicles where once in a while I have to stop and get out and smack the ice off the wipers to make them effective. If I had to on this JT, it wouldn't be the first car or truck I've ever done that with.

I found my 2020 didn't do too bad with the temp on hot, fan on high, full defrost.
Wind can cool the windshield faster than defrost can warm it, so fast driving makes it worse.
And the wipers are exposed to cold moving air so won't be warmed by defrost on a glass that sticks up nearly vertical.

There is a TSB out there were some defrost ducts were improperly assembled but I'd bet that was resolved for the 2021 model year and later. The joints didn't line up when the dash was put in and it blocked some air flow.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Also, itā€™s not an issue for all of us in northern climes.
Mine defrosts just fine.

Kevin

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Really?
Iowa's ice storms and rain that turns to freezing rain and then snow don't count.

Frankly, I've never owned a vehicle that was perfect with defrost - don't know about the 2022 yet but my 2020 was no worse than any other vehicle I've ever owned.
Are people comparing these to cars, maybe?
My grandmother always said the worst car trip she ever made was in her father's surplus canvas topped Willys MB on the then new I-90 from Seattle to Spokane in January. The defroster was 2 hoses sticking up from a basic hydronic heater to the windshield, and the Jeep had an electric wiper. It was a detailed story she used to tell often. Compared to that I have no complaints.

I imagine Iowa being pretty cold in the winter. I was referring to people in warmer climes who don't normally use a defroster at all, Florida, southern California, etc.

The heat in mine essentially dumps out right in the middle of the windshield and it does eventually spread out slowly, you can watch it defrost the windshield in real time emanating from the center. The little cubes do help shove it more to the sides though. I don't really put a whole ton of thought into it TBH. It is essentially the same way in the JK.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I wonder if this issue has been reported on the single zone climate systems?

Have a feeling that any "fix" is going to be Jeep telling you to manage expectations.

Sponsored

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Just imagine how many windshields could have been defrosted with all the hot air expended in this thread...

Has anyone driven old Jeeps with vacuum/hand lever powered wipers? those are a real bitch in the winter... or anytime wipers are needed for that matter! (And those jeeps BARELY had heaters to begin with...)

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Just imagine how many windshields could have been defrosted with all the hot air expended in this thread...

Has anyone driven old Jeeps with vacuum/hand lever powered wipers? those are a real bitch in the winter... or anytime wipers are needed for that matter! (And those jeeps BARELY had heaters to begin with...)
How about an old VW Beetle? Air cooled motor that blew the engine heat through the outside frame rails to the vents down by your feet, then up through a body channel for the defrost. The windshield washer was pressurized from the spare tire. It had no pump.

insanitize

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Commando, 07 Rubi JKU, 2024 MINI, 21 Gladiator+
Occupation
NYC-DOT, Retired
As a person who has owned many Jeeps I think the JT has a better defroster than any of my previous Jeeps. I live in NYC and drive to the Finger Lakes region of NY regularly so I have seen snow and ice.

Jimko71

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
So I was concerned about this too. I noticed the air only really comes from the center position of the front defroster and the side vents for the front windows, but very little in front of the driver and passenger. This morning - woke up and it as 40 degrees and I had frost on 100% the windshield. Went outside started it up put it on full blast HI front defrost. In about 5-6 minutes 95% of the windshield was clear. I also noticed that I have heating elements near where the wiper blades rest on the windshield and they were completely cleared as well (hard to see in the pics but they have copper colored elements). So I guess the real test is when I have ice/snow, but so far it worked as expected.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator and Defrost 1664382629489

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator and Defrost 1664382670707

Last edited:

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
So I was concerned about this too. I noticed the air only really comes from the center position of the front defroster and the side vents for the front windows, but very little in front of the driver and passenger. This morning - woke up and it as 40 degrees and I had frost on 100% the windshield. Went outside started it up put it on full blast HI front defrost. In about 5-6 minutes 95% of the windshield was clear. I also noticed that I have heating elements near where the wiper blades rest on the windshield and they were completely cleared as well (hard to see in the pics but they have copper colored elements). So I guess the real test is when I have ice/snow, but so far it worked as expected.

This is interesting. Is it just the spot where the defrost blows onto the windshield, or is there an actual heat element on that area like how the rear window is defrosted by a heating element.
Sponsored