Sponsored

Gladiator Diesel Bottoming Out Poll - Let’s get some numbers here.

If your Gladiator bottoms out on pothole/bumps, what model do you have?

• Total voters

83CJ5

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys EcoD
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I think more telling than trim level would be build date. I still wonder if the early batch of JT diesels rolled off the line with incorrect coil springs. I haven't seen anybody with recent new builds complaining.
My 21 Willys was purchased September 6 and only sat on the lot a week or two, so fairly recent build. It rattles my teeth on dips and bumps.
Sponsored

GoFastGoFish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 TRX L2 Billet, 2021 JLU Willy's , 2020 X5 G05
Just an update: 10/15 Still have not gotten any news of possible fix. Vehicle has been at the dealership since 9/21.

TommyGp

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
at a job
If they don't have a fix by now they aren't likely going to. There are so many supply chain issues going on right now that resources available to address something like this are pretty limited.

For the record, mine was a Feb '21 build and has bottomed out on a couple of places that it probably shouldn't. The first was completely surprising as it was a pretty typical pothole. The others were speed "humps" (not the rougher bumps) and I was probably going too fast anyway.

GoFastGoFish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 TRX L2 Billet, 2021 JLU Willy's , 2020 X5 G05
Update #00200230023 , Vehicle is still at the dealership.. no fix , Jeep Retention has contacted me once in last two weeks.. No fix or direction given..

Ranbo

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Eco Diesel
Occupation
Plumber
After installing my Motobilt front bumper I’ve bottomed out frequently.

Sponsored

OP
OP
am1978

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
At almost 50 check-ins here, yet we have three models the diesel is an option on that have not registered on the poll.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
At almost 50 check-ins here, yet we have three models the diesel is an option on that have not registered on the poll.
Maybe add options for those who have the diesel, that doesn't bottom out ? So that's accounted for. Watching this thread as I have a sport D on order.

OP
OP
am1978

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
Maybe add options for those who have the diesel, that doesn't bottom out ? So that's accounted for. Watching this thread as I have a sport D on order.
Max number of poll choices, so I added one for people with no issues and one for people who lifted their JT and no longer have the problem. The poll allows for two choices, so a model can be selected combined with an option for those who don’t have the problem.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Max number of poll choices, so I added one for people with no issues and one for people who lifted their JT and no longer have the problem. The poll allows for two choices, so a model can be selected combined with an option for those who don’t have the problem.
My mistake , I take it all back 🔙😅

rchandler341

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I never noticed it happening until I added the Warn Winch. Then my Mopar 2" Lift came in and it has never bottomed out since. I have upgraded the Fox Shocks too.

Sponsored

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer
The stock springs are too soft and eat up about 2/3 of the shocks travel just sitting still.

For example think of a shock with 3 inches of travel.

In a typical vehicle the spring rate should be chosen so the shock is sitting with 2 inches up travel and one of down travel.

In our case the spring rate is so soft that this is backwards, so one inch up travel and two of down travel which is why it bottoms out more frequently. Add a winch or any more weight and it gets worse.

Non Rubicon trims should have Rubicon front Springs stock. Diesels should have stiffer rate springs stock.

Last edited:

bentrod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
I don't have any of these issues since I ordered my JTRD with the mopar lift. I cannot believe Jeep Corp or FCA allowed these Jeeps to bottom out. No testing? All that R&D.
I had NO idea that was an option right from the new build!

bentrod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
It’s already a little telling that @JeepCares should note that there are almost 40 diesel owners reporting their rig bottoms out and this number will grow until they address the issue. FCA & @JeepCares recommending a lift kit is not a solution, as much as many of us would take the lift kit if offered for free.
This is HORSE CRAP.
I * still can't believe my JTRD bottoms out HARD on the street in everyday typical potholes, dips and what not...... stuff that my 2005 Liberty would just eat for breakfast and its no issue.
The ONLY thing JeepCares about is YOUR MONTHLY PAYMENT!
I
AM
PISSED
BEYOND
WORDS
with my Jeep!
Before I ordered my JTRD I totally thrashed 2 different gas Sport Gladiators off road that I was allowed to test out to the MAX via third party / not a dealer ... slamming into washboards, ditches, jumps....REAL HARD. It tackled it all SO well, Yes - it did bottom out but granted I had all 4 wheels catching air and came down all wrong - was amazing fun and didn't happen / bottom much at all. Then I hit the interstate, 80MPH and the steering wheel was dead on, perfect. Its a champion for me. I was SOLD that this was going to be my next vehicle.
I could have just went for the Diesel Sport. Then I though about a little lift. So at that rate... the Rubicon was ALL the Jeep I would ever use right out of the box.
I don't need or want a lift beyond Rubi stock.
This sucks!

bentrod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
PS - My JTRD does have a OEM steel front bumper but no winch!
Build date 4/21
ALL stock!
The spring rate is WRONG!
Why the heck should we be forced to pay to put a band aid spacer fix?!
That is NOT proper engineering!
I'm paying a small fortune for " The ultimate" Jeep - the Rubicon. And it can't handle the street!
Sponsored