Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
The only part of the discussion I actually cared to have here is the part where people believed it's "their own money coming back" which it absolutely is not. :beer:
And that's the part of the discussion that isn't relevant here.

Again, happy to discuss further if an appropriate forum can be had.
Sponsored

jamief

First Name
jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 landcruiser
4xe gladiator won't qualify for a federal tax credit in Canada as the base model will almost certainly be too expensive (over 55k cdn) The only provincial credits are from BC or Quebec and it's likely going to be too expensive to get anything from BC. Right now the 4xe wrangler safari is the only model that gets a BC credit as the rubi is too expensive. I'm not sure what the limits are in Quebec. I know the electric company offers a credit which will cover a lot of the cost on getting a charger installed at home or at least they did last year...

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Taxes, the harder you work, the harder you get fucked.

I've gotten smart, got a good CPA and now using the laws in place to drop my tax liability.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
i take his videos with a grain of salt. more times than not, that guy has no clue what hes talking about and posts videos just for the sake of posting daily videos.
He does mix hyperbole with some probable truths. The thing he is probably right about is the range when loaded or towing part, esp towing. 50% could be right at the upper ends of the tow capacity, 30-40% probably expected for a basic utility trailer or camper.

Will know more what lift and 37s or stubby bumpers and body armor do to the 4xe battery only range when those folks get going on modifications. We know it destroys gas range, what's it do to 4xe?

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
it's "their own money coming back" which it absolutely is not.
That's correct, it's not a refund. It's just that more of their own money was not robbed to begin with. It's still their own money.

The reason these are sensible for certain things is that letting people keep their own money and spend it more wisely, ironically, is often a better choice than redistribution. When you let people keep and spend their money on something that saves fuel for example, everyone wins. New, more efficient products usually cost more to make than the old tech. FedGovCo is basically saying "we will leave more of your money available for this better choice."

In AZ, we also get a massive reduction in registration fees for EVs, which is unsustainable since that's what pays for the roads. But for NOW, that is less of our money being taken by the state, helping make the EV cost make more sense. Between the gas savings, maintenance savings, registration savings, and insurance savings, our EV made really good economic sense.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Patently false. It's everyone else's money funding the program which allows them to keep $7,500 the would have otherwise owed.
Patently false. If you don't owe more than the credit, you don't get anyone else's money. You simply get a credit on the money that would otherwise be stolen from you. You seem to be misunderstanding this as if you could possibly get some EXTRA money back, and that's not the case.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Patently false. If you don't owe more than the credit, you don't get anyone else's money. You simply get a credit on the money that would otherwise be stolen from you. You seem to be misunderstanding this as if you could possibly get some EXTRA money back, and that's not the case.
Lol. No sir. There is a government budget funding this, and government budgets are paid for by all. The only reason someone gets $7,500 is because the federal government paid them from this budget. The mechanism of payment is via a credit on their taxes, but the actual funding for this credit is from the federal budget. It's not "just keeping your own money", it's getting $7,500 paid to you by the government.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
These circular / cyclical arguments where people are just talking right past one another always make me think of the gator fans in Big Trouble.

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
So if you owed zero on your taxes, you'd be GIVEN the $7500?
No, but that isn't relevant to how the money for the credit is funded. That's just the nature of tax credits in general.

The federal government is not allowed to just "let you keep some money". That's illegal. There must be funding provided to pay for the credits. A federal account (budget) to charge the credits to.

The $7,500 you think you "get to keep" is actually $7,500 the government is paying you from this budget. It is federal spending, there is no debate about that.

In the debit/credit world of accounting the tax payer gets a credit to their bank account and the federal government gets a debit to their EV Account. You can't just have a $7,500 credit on the taxpayer side without the corresponding debit on the government expenditure side. That's just not how it works.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Thanks for confirming that it is just indeed the feds not stealing that part of your money from you. Hopefully we're done with this.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Thanks for confirming that it is just indeed the feds not stealing that part of your money from you. Hopefully we're done with this.
I'm pretty confident anyone who takes any amount of effort to understand government budgets and taxes gets it. At this point you either don't want to bother with understanding how it works in reality, or just want to troll.

It's a super simplistic explanation, I know any hardcore accountants would take issue with it, but trying to keep it basic here on a Jeep forum. In the end, there's no question tax credits are considered federal spending.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-tax/federal-tax-expenditures

Last edited:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Back to the Gladiator...I haven't seen where exactly the battery is located. Does someone know? I also wonder if Chrysler is so far behind on battery tech that they have to just keep doing hybrids and pretend to be modern by calling them plug-ins?
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator: