Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Their website says it’s Gorilla Glass
Jeep Gladiator Gorilla Glass.  Yes or No? 56622A2C-532B-4920-9047-B04F5D798934
It is. These windshields are made with Corning Gorilla Glass. That's the registered trademark of Corning's processes involved in creating the in-facing layer of glass that's used.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
It is. These windshields are made with Corning Gorilla Glass. That's the registered trademark of Corning's processes involved in creating the in-facing layer of glass that's used.
So do they do something to make it better than Mopar GG?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So do they do something to make it better than Mopar GG?
No, it's still Gorilla Glass on the inside layer. It's all Corning Gorilla Glass on the layer that's in the cabin facing your face.
Corning has the patent on the process that makes Gorilla glass. HGP is using the Corning GG like Jeep is on that inside layer.

As far as the differences between the HGP windshields and the MOPAR windshields, I can't say - but that inside-facing later is all Corning Gorilla Glass - as far as I can tell, they wouldn't be able use the name otherwise.

Here's a blurb I found related to the Ford windshields -
Corning has partnered with Hyperformance Glass Products (HGP) to manufacture hybrid laminate replacement windshields for Ford F-150 owners, which feature Corning's Gorilla Glass.

That tells me that HGP is using Corning Gorilla Glass - who makes them for MOPAR? I don't know.

Sponsored

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
No, it's still Gorilla Glass on the inside layer. It's all Corning Gorilla Glass on the layer that's in the cabin facing your face.
Corning has the patent on the process that makes Gorilla glass. HGP is using the Corning GG like Jeep is on that inside layer.

As far as the differences between the HGP windshields and the MOPAR windshields, I can't say - but that inside-facing later is all Corning Gorilla Glass - as far as I can tell, they wouldn't be able use the name otherwise.

Here's a blurb I found related to the Ford windshields -
Corning has partnered with Hyperformance Glass Products (HGP) to manufacture hybrid laminate replacement windshields for Ford F-150 owners, which feature Corning's Gorilla Glass.

That tells me that HGP is using Corning Gorilla Glass - who makes them for MOPAR? I don't know.
I wonder what the benefit is from having the GG on the inside. We get hit on the outside.

Buzzlb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland: The Overcon ‘82 CJ-7
Build Thread
Link
Just ordered, litebrite50 still works-$50. ~700all in.

RS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD on order, 2017 4runner TRD
Occupation
Self Employed
I wonder what the benefit is from having the GG on the inside. We get hit on the outside.
This is what really makes me wonder if it is even worth getting. If the outside is still just the standard glass then it is going to crack either way. Is there something else to this that I am not understanding?

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Not sure the difference, but I know mine has taken some brutal hits. I have about 18K miles on mine so far no complaints.

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
Sure, blame the owner/driver for windshield cracks and chips.
I was driving my wife's GC through Des Moines one day, I235. I was doing the speed limit of 60. I was in the far left lane as I had gone around some slower traffic in the middle and right lane. Ahead several yards in the right lane - keep in mind I was in the far left, he was in the right, and there was a lane between us - a rock came off that truck, bounced a couple of times on the pavement and just like in slow motion - it hit right square in the center of the windshield. Nothing I could do and I was 2 lanes away from him about 5 or so car lengths back.
Similar happened with me and my F250 - something up ahead a ways apparently kicked up a rock or something - SMACK. I wasn't near any vehicle - I was easily the "1 car length for every 10 mph" distance from anyone.
It happened on my SX4 2 years after having the windshield replaced - luckily it was just a tiny chip and was fixed several years ago and has been fine since.
My wife hates following close and typically sticks to the limit, 5 over tops when she drives - and she's come home with a chipped and cracked windshield.
My JT wasn't a year old and I was so very concerned about the sand blasting that happens on our highways, and paint chipping I was avoiding getting too close to anyone, and I hate following trucks and if I can, I move over so I'm not directly behind them and yet - rock hit, eventually cracked. I'm on second windshield and it's got a good half dozen tiny chips already. Can't see then unless you clean the glass but they are there.
Was on I35 headed to Ames with my wife in the passenger seat in my JT last weekend. Was doing the limit - spot on the limit as going through Ankeny those folks will nail you. A truck passed us and pulled back over into our lane (I was in the middle). He was hauling sand and such and you could hear it like we were being sand blasted. I moved over to the far left lane - luckily other traffic was light so I could stay over there until he got way ahead of us. I noticed other vehicles didn't follow him either.
You can be a fine driver, not follow too close, stay away from trucks hauling crap and still get nailed.
I completely agree with your point. But if you were driving way over the limit and tailgating trucks, you would probably have way more broken windshield stories. Especially on Wranglers and Gladiators because of their extremely aerodynamic windshields. 😂

Sponsored

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
I completely agree with your point. But if you were driving way over the limit and tailgating trucks, you would probably have way more broken windshield stories. Especially on Wranglers and Gladiators because of their extremely aerodynamic windshields. 😂
It’s not just trucks, rocks come from everywhere, cars, pickups, Jeeps… I’ve had two GG shields broken in two months.

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
Ha! I will one up you. My '03 TJ had 134000 miles on the OG windshield. That thing was pitted all to hell but no big chips or breaks. And if you know, those things were pretty much straight up and down. Not as slanted as my JL. I did order the GG for my new Gladiator, just because I could.
Maybe its not how we drive. Maybe we’re just lucky? I added the wind deflector to my JT and it does seem to help. All the bad chips are from before I added it. But now I’ve probably jinxed myself as I am heading to Moab in my GC on Monday from NW Washington.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Go straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.
You broke all rules by mentioning aerodynamic and Wrangler/Gladiator in the same sentence, let alone the same paragraph!

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Over 13 months on the HGP GG windshield.

Do we have any owners who have had a GG windshield for 1+ years?

I'm curious. I sprung for it for my Mojave, expected in about a month. I figured for ~$180 it was wroth a shot.