Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
My glass got trashed on out vacation traveling through NV, UT, CO, NM, and AZ......6 hits over 4300 miles. 5 from trucks passing in the opposite direction and one by a car that passed us and cut in too soon.

I haven't taken that much enemy fire in my entire life combined!

I remember thinking all these peeps on here breaking 3 a year must be tailgaters........
Sponsored

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I'm on my sixth "real" Jeep. YJ, JKU, JKU, JLU, JT, and now another JT. Untold number of combined miles on and off road. Not one single chip, crack, or split on any windshield, ever. Six Jeeps, six windshields.

I'll add that there's a rock quarry on my road with dump trucks pulling out onto the highway all day long.

What exactly are you guys doing, parking under a tree full of hammers?
Following to close?
Although once in my old Honda Accord, I did get a 2-3 inch rock launched at my windshield from a passing “oncoming” tandem truck. Saw it coming right towards my head and I ducked, lol. Left an actual hole in the windshield. Scared the shit out of me.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
So here’s something I’ve needed to read up on and haven’t found one post yet in my search of GG and that is how does it hold up against sand and road grit blasting?? I’m sure I’m not the only one that can have a need to replace a windshield due to sand blasting specs all over the entire surface which just becomes a hazard in and of itself driving toward the low horizon sun or on coming headlights on those dark mountain highways.

So I know lots about everybody’s experience with rocks and how the GG takes it. Let’s hear how it handles sandblasting plz.

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
I just replaced my glass and the guy that did it said that on the jeep it's not worth going with GG. Said something about the GG side is on the inside so it doesn't change how things impact it from the outside.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
Is this too close? No. I drive a semi and go through a couple windshields a year. Phoenix is a shield killer. Sometimes the rocks come from the other side.
Jeep Gladiator Gorilla Glass.  Yes or No? 189BC3D8-7AAC-4F60-9103-B21BE9D5D504

Sponsored

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
I just replaced my glass and the guy that did it said that on the jeep it's not worth going with GG. Said something about the GG side is on the inside so it doesn't change how things impact it from the outside.
Not on the inside only. It is still manufactured like traditional glass, which are essentially 3 piece laminates. The gorilla glass portion is the center section.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Following to close?
Although once in my old Honda Accord, I did get a 2-3 inch rock launched at my windshield from a passing “oncoming” tandem truck. Saw it coming right towards my head and I ducked, lol. Left an actual hole in the windshield. Scared the shit out of me.
IT can happen through NO fault of the driver. Like my experience with the rock crossing from the right lane, through the center lane and then hitting me in the left lane. It was a "Scotty, beam me outta here - FAST" moment. No way to avoid it, you just brace for impact. And yet the naysayers will still insist it's OUR fault when it happens, we MUST be doing something wrong because it's never happened to them. Bravo, I'm truly happy for them - it's expensive in some cases.

Not on the inside only. It is still manufactured like traditional glass, which are essentially 3 piece laminates. The gorilla glass portion is the center section.
Here's the facts, direct from Corning -

https://www.corning.com/worldwide/e...gher--more-optically-advantaged-vehicles.html

Sorry, it's the inner layer.......
A conventional window is comprised of a soda-lime glass outer layer, a PVB thermoplastic middle layer, and a soda-lime glass inner layer.
Working closely with automotive manufacturers, Corning has engineered a unique three-layer laminate, reworking the stack to be comprised of a soda-lime outer layer, PVB middle layer, and a thin, tough Corning® Gorilla® Glass for Automotive inner layer.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Is this too close? No. I drive a semi and go through a couple windshields a year. Phoenix is a shield killer. Sometimes the rocks come from the other side.
Jeep Gladiator Gorilla Glass.  Yes or No? 189BC3D8-7AAC-4F60-9103-B21BE9D5D504
Thanks for being one of those willing to put up with a lot of crap to get things to where they need to go......

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
IT can happen through NO fault of the driver. Like my experience with the rock crossing from the right lane, through the center lane and then hitting me in the left lane. It was a "Scotty, beam me outta here - FAST" moment. No way to avoid it, you just brace for impact. And yet the naysayers will still insist it's OUR fault when it happens, we MUST be doing something wrong because it's never happened to them. Bravo, I'm truly happy for them - it's expensive in some cases.

https://www.corning.com/worldwide/e...gher--more-optically-advantaged-vehicles.html

A conventional window is comprised of a soda-lime glass outer layer, a PVB thermoplastic middle layer, and a soda-lime glass inner layer.
Working closely with automotive manufacturers, Corning has engineered a unique three-layer laminate, reworking the stack to be comprised of a soda-lime outer layer, PVB middle layer, and a thin, tough Corning® Gorilla® Glass for Automotive inner layer.
Exactly what I said -

Agreed it is inside. My point was that it is still a 3 piece laminate.

takeitsleazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2008 JL
Tech talked to me about it as I was having my wife’s rear jk window replaced. He mentioned how the pieces, when shattered, aren’t cube-like or gravel-like, but fractal and sharp. Thinking about it, I really wouldn’t want that in my vehicle no matter how much I vacuumed.

I did get a wind deflector for the JT though, which has surprisingly helped a ton with small rocks and bugs. Wouldn’t stop a large projectile but still a great help.

Sponsored

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
It can happen anywhere to anyone.

That being said I live near and use i70 in the mountains. There is often rock fall and gravel on the road, not to mention run off from mining. Rocks on the windshield are pretty much par for the course. Add in the extreme vertical nature of the Jeep windshield and you nearly guarantee that you'll eventually get a chip or crack. My wife's Golf currently has a huge crack we need to fix, and that is a low angle glass.

I had a previous YJ that got three rock hits in one week-long CO road trip years ago. One of them was so big you could stick your pinky through to the outside. They all looked like gunshots.

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR
I hate to brag but I have almost 29,000 miles on my original windshield. I do have some chips, one I had repaired. But when this one goes I am definitely getting Gorilla Glass.

I think one thing that has made my windshield last is that I don't drive very fast on freeways and try to keep well back of vehicles in front of me. Let's face it, the glass in near vertical. So they are at great risk of breaking.
Ha! I will one up you. My '03 TJ had 134000 miles on the OG windshield. That thing was pitted all to hell but no big chips or breaks. And if you know, those things were pretty much straight up and down. Not as slanted as my JL. I did order the GG for my new Gladiator, just because I could.

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave | 2021 Grand Cherokee L
I'll go on the 'not sure train' at this time.

I just traded my 2020 Rubicon in, factory glass, and tallied 40,000 miles - not one rock chip.

It had the small, like sandblasted look? Super small chips, but nothing that I would consider a chip or crack.

If I have the option, I'll do the GG, but not going to go out of my way right now.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly what I said -

Agreed it is inside. My point was that it is still a 3 piece laminate.
Sorry, you said it's the middle layer.......

The gorilla glass portion is the center section.
It's actually the inside (not middle, not center. )
That was my point.
Yes, it's still a laminate,
it's still made in almost the same way with three layers - outer, middle, inner (inner being next to your face)

Maybe that's where the confusion is.
Outer, middle, inner where inner is what you breathe on, outer is what the bugs die on.
Left is outside, right is in the cabin.

Jeep Gladiator Gorilla Glass.  Yes or No? 1636567109300

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Tech talked to me about it as I was having my wife’s rear jk window replaced. He mentioned how the pieces, when shattered, aren’t cube-like or gravel-like, but fractal and sharp. Thinking about it, I really wouldn’t want that in my vehicle no matter how much I vacuumed.

I did get a wind deflector for the JT though, which has surprisingly helped a ton with small rocks and bugs. Wouldn’t stop a large projectile but still a great help.
I got glass in the face on my first hit! The cracks that really spread were on the inside part of the glass. It was at night so I wasn't wearing sunglasses either......
Sponsored