First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Diesel JT Rubicon
Occupation
PA
Bought JTRD in Louisville, KY. Travelled there because it had our desired options (Cold weather, audio, LED, towing). Went to transfer title & register in PA. KY title didn't list GVWR, only a KY state code for vehicle class. Tag agent sent me to inspection mechanic w/ form to specify unladen weight & GVWR. Door label specifies 6450# GVWR. Inspection mechanic wanted me to take vehicle through scales rather than rely on Jeep online specs. it weighed 6000#, w/ winch & OEM winch bumper, 1/2 tank fuel, an ARE CX cap, & less than 100# in bed, on 35's. That means I only have 450# payload remaining. WTH? That's two adults, or just myself on range day.
I realize the diesel's heavier, but it doesn't give me a very warm feeling about Jeep engineering.
Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Hows it feel knowing the Toyota 4runner has more payload?

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Wheels and tires ... how does unsprung weight factor in? ... I know in braking, but rotational mass is something altogether different.

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Curb weight for your JT is 5,050.
Wheels and tires are roughly 100#s each x 4. (unsprung weight at that)
Your cap with no options is 175#s.
Worst case scenario on front bumper and winch is 200#s.
Half a tank (actually more than half) is 63#s +.

So that's 800#s. The advertised curb weight and max GVWR are everywhere so you shouldn't be surprised.

Every last farkle you add on takes off weight you can tow or haul.

Don't blame an engineer for added extras taking away from your haul/tow capacity.

If you need a truck for hauling or towing, but a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

If you want an off road capable truck that you can toss some things in the bed, buy a JT.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

yolo

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon (Diesel)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Wheels and tires ... how does unsprung weight factor in? ... I know in braking, but rotational mass is something altogether different.
I'm guessing this is more about cooling (maybe suspension/geometry too) than what the engine is capable of. The RAM 1500 ecodiesel (same engine as my ecodeisel rubi from my understanding) has a 12,560lb rating and both weigh roughly the same.

OP
OP

bwbody

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Diesel JT Rubicon
Occupation
PA
500# of accessories is not uncommon in a Wrangler or JT. More the rule than the exception, I'd say. Don't see many bare bones vehicles, except right after delivery. Individual customization is one of the big attractions to the JT. When additional payload of two adults in a 5-seat vehicle can put you overweight, IMO, the design is lacking in foresight. Just saying....

As an afterthought, how many drivers are running overweight, w/o even realizing it?

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
As an afterthought, how many drivers are running overweight, w/o even realizing it?
Almost every one towing is and I would say most modded rigs are when actually doing something, ie camping or traveling with a full load of people.

I read posts all the time "Got my camper hooked up, wife, 2 kids, dog and bikes in the truck for the weekend!". They are alllllll over weight.

I personally don't worry abought it that much. The power train (diesel especially) is more than good for it, less the cooling issue in sever conditions (what sets the tow rating).

Reinforce the suspension as needed (meaning get the springs from max tow, air bags, or sumo springs) and don't go over axle weight rating.

The issue is guys want lifted, flexible, 37" tires, none of that is conductive to trailering or payload hauling. Flexy off road is not conducive to controllability under load.

This platform is very customizable but it can not do every thing.

Sponsored

XJhawk

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales Manager
500# of accessories is not uncommon in a Wrangler or JT. More the rule than the exception, I'd say. Don't see many bare bones vehicles, except right after delivery. Individual customization is one of the big attractions to the JT. When additional payload of two adults in a 5-seat vehicle can put you overweight, IMO, the design is lacking in foresight. Just saying....

Pretty sure no manufacturer has engineers sitting around dreaming up all of the weight that potential buyers might add to their designs.

They build the product, test it and manufacture it. Once you take delivery , it would be YOUR responsibility to modify with these things in mind.

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
while I don't necessarily agree that 450# is 2 people, certainly whatever number you come up with for 5 people would be pretty darn close to eating up the entire payload.

Something I hadn't considered but I do wonder where the GVWR comes from to begin with. Everything I can find with a brief online search describes what it is but nobody says how a manufacturer determines what the value should be.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
Truth is, I consider my JT to be the absolute best 1/4 ton truck out there. I bought it because it's a Jeep, with a little bit of truck capabilities. Its the ugliest midsize truck out there, and I'm dang proud of it. I have a 2020 Ram 2500 turbo diesel if I need a truck, and I have the JT when I want to go camping. The 2500 will never be able to 4 wheel like the JT, and the JT will never be a truck like the 2500. I'm lucky, yes. but each vehicle has their expectations for the job needing done.

Last edited:

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Bought JTRD in Louisville, KY. Travelled there because it had our desired options (Cold weather, audio, LED, towing). Went to transfer title & register in PA. KY title didn't list GVWR, only a KY state code for vehicle class. Tag agent sent me to inspection mechanic w/ form to specify unladen weight & GVWR. Door label specifies 6450# GVWR. Inspection mechanic wanted me to take vehicle through scales rather than rely on Jeep online specs. it weighed 6000#, w/ winch & OEM winch bumper, 1/2 tank fuel, an ARE CX cap, & less than 100# in bed, on 35's. That means I only have 450# payload remaining. WTH? That's two adults, or just myself on range day.
I realize the diesel's heavier, but it doesn't give me a very warm feeling about Jeep engineering.
Well, that's the way that cookie crumbles unfortunately. People wanted a Jeep, that was also a pickup, that also had a diesel. And so Jeep had to build a truck rugged enough to handle all of that, while still meeting federal crash standards. The result is a midsize truck that weighs as much as a fullsize truck, but can't have the fullsize truck GVWR because it's a midsize truck.

Plus, you picked the heaviest trim level there is, and then added more options to it. That didn't help any.

But, at least you do understand the constraints of payload. SOOOOO many people buy Rubicons and act like they can go tow 7,000 lbs with them. Uh uh....not happening.

If you aren't worried about being pulled over and cited by a DOT officer, then my advice at this point is to install Sumosprings or the Timbren SES kit and then forget about it. You'll be able to haul whatever you want without sag then.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
If you aren't worried about being pulled over and cited by a DOT officer, then my advice at this point is to install Sumosprings or the Timbren SES kit and then forget about it. You'll be able to haul whatever you want without sag then.
Until the frame crumples.
Sponsored