Sponsored

Hi Lift 48 or 60?

Should I choose a Hi Lift 48 or 60? If it matters my JTR has Mopar 2inch and 35's

• 48 inch

• 60 inch

• Hi Lift's are dangerous/unnecessary/too expensive whatever

Results are only viewable after voting.

Whitarmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2014 JKR
Been thinking about carrying a hi-lift. I'm running the Mopar 2 inch lift and have 35s. I have good mounting places (ARB Bondi Deluxe up front and Rock Hard 4x4 sliders). I know a 60 inch gives me that extra margin of usefulness but a 48inch version is lighter and more storage friendly. What do you think and why?
20211202_142712.jpg
I feel like you need a hilift for some situations and the stock jack for others. For basic tire changes and such that you need to lift the axle, a block or something similar to the arb block for a factory jack is both useful and space saving. 99% of your use will be with this block. Every now and then a hi lift is useful to help over obstacles or get more lift but you are jacking the wheel to get the axle higher or the body with the axle going nowhere. I carry the Mopar version of the ARB block in my gladiator and recently put a hi lift back on in the bed since I bought a farm and there are more uses on a farm than off-roading with a hilift. Hope my 2 cents helps

OP
OP
syreeves

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
I feel like you need a hilift for some situations and the stock jack for others. For basic tire changes and such that you need to lift the axle, a block or something similar to the arb block for a factory jack is both useful and space saving. 99% of your use will be with this block. Every now and then a hi lift is useful to help over obstacles or get more lift but you are jacking the wheel to get the axle higher or the body with the axle going nowhere. I carry the Mopar version of the ARB block in my gladiator and recently put a hi lift back on in the bed since I bought a farm and there are more uses on a farm than off-roading with a hilift. Hope my 2 cents helps
Good point and thank you for the tips. I should probably get a jacking block but I usually have a couple of pieces of 2x6 or 2x8 for that purpose. Yes I'm cheap sometimes 😁

Sponsored

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
You can’t reenforce a bent tie rod with a bottle jack LOL. A 48 is perfect. They are invaluable when you need one. Can also be used as a winch. It’s old school insurance.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
This is the kind of innovative advice I was seeking thank you!
And they are or can be dangerous if not used properly. I was stuck in a spot with no winch. Had my Hi Lift jack and 30' of Rhino strap plus two soft shackles. Pulled myself out no problem. So if someone tells you. You're never going to use it. There will or could be a place and time.

Eventyr_JT

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
IBEW Electrician
I’ve been stuck for 3 hours with my son because no one had a hilift. First thing I bought before going out on the trail again.

A 48” with the bed side mounting bracket on unistrut works great and is easy to access.

Jeep Gladiator Hi Lift 48 or 60? 73F847C2-C535-49D5-9182-51EFF5B2D664

Sponsored

dawghauler

First Name
pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jt sport s max tow
Occupation
hvac
if you got a lift and larger tires you'll need the 60. also make a larger base plate to increase stability. and yes its tricky when changing tires but a blessing when you cant get a jack under the axles.

OP
OP
syreeves

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
if you got a lift and larger tires you'll need the 60. also make a larger base plate to increase stability. and yes its tricky when changing tires but a blessing when you cant get a jack under the axles.
That was part of my original thinking. I got the ARB bumper because, among other things, it has jacking points. My sliders are from Rock Hard and although they don't recommend it they did explain that their sliders should be able to be used to jack up the entire vehicle. I'd think carefully about spreading the pressure around though... no real good jacking points at the rear yet. Can't use the shackle in the tow hitch as the hitch simply isn't rated for that kind of load.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
You can ratchet strap around the axle and frame so the axle doesn’t drop when lifting.

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
The Hi Lift was pretty scary for me at first, but then I took a class on how to use it. Damn, if you regularly do off-roading, it’s a must in your bag of tricks. I do recommend doing a class though. There were a bunch of cool tricks and scary gotchas I wasn’t aware of.

You can get away with a 48 (thats what I have right now), but after learning more I've found that you want a 60 as others have mentioned due to longer wheelbase, larger wheels, and a lift. Your call, if you aren't going bigger than 35s you can probably do just fine with the 48 :P I started there... have been running 37s this season and I'm planning for 40s after I destroy these.

Also, forget the plastic base if you have traction boards, you can just put the jack on those.

PS, I do have a radflo hydra jack on order. Not sure yet how useful that is going to be in comparison with the hi lift, but it will be fun to try.

Another mounting option
Jeep Gladiator Hi Lift 48 or 60? CE124EE8-9AE4-479A-AA74-B84BD71771CE

Last edited:

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
My old Landrover Discovery 2 ('03) came with a bottle jack. The storage location was under the hood, right behind the passenger side headlight. Odd location but good packaging... and it was almost always easy to get to! No need to unload anything...
Land Rover guys always make sure they can get under the hood easily.
Sponsored