Sponsored

Hi Lift 48 or 60?

Should I choose a Hi Lift 48 or 60? If it matters my JTR has Mopar 2inch and 35's

• 48 inch

• 60 inch

• Hi Lift's are dangerous/unnecessary/too expensive whatever

Results are only viewable after voting.

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 JLU
I just took an off-road class. The guy running it recommended a 60". He said you're not supposed to use the top 12" of it? So a 60 maxes out at 48". He demonstrated on a Hilux in a couple of situations and he ran out of jack space pretty quickly, especially if there is a lift on the truck.
Sponsored

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
I had gone with the 60 extreme, because I had room for it (cause you know, FJ stuff)... I've used it for countless odds and ends at work, but only once or twice to change a tire, and once to winch with.
Being the extreme, it has that chain plate thing, which I've always kept on the end as a smooth/round termination for the I-beam. Spoiler alert, when I took it off the FJ and tossed it in the Jeep's bed to go to work, its so long it has to ride diagonally, wrecking bed space for everything else. Even removing the chain plate just brought it down to a "Barely" fit, due to the foot.
I vote 60" and chop it to an application specific length, for wherever you mount it.
You'll like the extra stroke if you do ever wind up winching with it.
Just a thought, if you want it in the bed where one would expect it to ride.

Jeep Gladiator Hi Lift 48 or 60? hilift

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic

FreddieR170

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
The biggest issue I've always had with the Hi-lift is that it likes to be dry and well lubricated. Probably a non-issue for the desert dwellers, but up here where everything rusts, its a challenge.
Secondary problem is mounting- a hilift will smash everything around it to pieces if left unrestrained.

Sponsored

OP
OP
syreeves

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
The Hi Lift was pretty scary for me at first, but then I took a class on how to use it. Damn, if you regularly do off-roading, it’s a must in your bag of tricks. I do recommend doing a class though. There were a bunch of cool tricks and scary gotchas I wasn’t aware of.

You can get away with a 48 (thats what I have right now), but after learning more I've found that you want a 60 as others have mentioned due to longer wheelbase, larger wheels, and a lift. Your call, if you aren't going bigger than 35s you can probably do just fine with the 48 :P I started there... have been running 37s this season and I'm planning for 40s after I destroy these.

Also, forget the plastic base if you have traction boards, you can just put the jack on those.

PS, I do have a radflo hydra jack on order. Not sure yet how useful that is going to be in comparison with the hi lift, but it will be fun to try.

Another mounting option
Jeep Gladiator Hi Lift 48 or 60? 1638547432220
I like your rear bumper. Is it aluminum? If so where did you get? if not who made it and can I chat with them about duplicating their efforts? 😁

OP
OP
syreeves

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

The 60” Extreme mounts perfectly over the wheel well. Love it and use it!
I have so many questions. But first - I replaced by factory trail rail with standard aircraft rails. Do you think they make mounts? I will research... I like your setup! I have a Ace Upper Decker that limits my access close to the cab...

OP
OP
syreeves

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just took an off-road class. The guy running it recommended a 60". He said you're not supposed to use the top 12" of it? So a 60 maxes out at 48". He demonstrated on a Hilux in a couple of situations and he ran out of jack space pretty quickly, especially if there is a lift on the truck.
This is one of the things I was thinking about in asking my original question - thank you!

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
I have one that I bought new, and looks like it went through a mill. Most of the paint is gone, but the working bits are currently shiny from a recent rebuild. :) I use it around the property to move boulders and logs and such. Never used it on a vehicle. Don't think I'd want to.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
I’ve been stuck for 3 hours with my son because no one had a hilift. First thing I bought before going out on the trail again.

A 48” with the bed side mounting bracket on unistrut works great and is easy to access.

You couldn't use a strap?

Sponsored

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
I've got a 48" one mounted to my roll bar. It's one of those things that I don't think I'll ever use, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Ive got one of the bottle jack / stand combos that some of the other guys have mentioned, and the AEV Jack base for the OEM scissor jack, between those two I think I'm probably pretty well set but eh..

The roll bar works well for me. Not losing and space in the bed, on the hood, etc.

IMG_20211203_082011395_HDR.jpg

FreddieR170

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I have so many questions. But first - I replaced by factory trail rail with standard aircraft rails. Do you think they make mounts? I will research... I like your setup! I have a Ace Upper Decker that limits my access close to the cab...

My setup doesn’t utilize rails to support the HiLift and I don’t know about aircraft rail mounts (mine are just Unistrut). My setup; put the baseplate toward the cab…there are 2 pretappedholes in the bed wall that match up perfectly with the baseplate holes (6mm…I can’t recall). On the other end I laminated 2- 2x10 pine boards and notched out a groove for the HiLift rail. I drilled a lateral hole thru the pine boards and ran a bolt thru an existing hole in the bedside to keep it in place. Then you just slide the base end over your 2 bolts and nut or wingnut on, then just lay the rail into the cradle and use those big yellow twist tie things to hold in place. Really easy and you’ve got a place to hang your hat (Stormy Kramer)! Yes HiLifts are potentially dangerous but if you study/train for their proper use, and be smart about it they are a great self recovery tool.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R

If by aircraft rails you mean L-track, they make studs that you can use to mount things. Amazon.com: Extended Lug Stud Fitting,L Track and Airline Track Stud Fitting,2250 Lbs Capacity,45mm length-10pack : Automotive
Then all you'd need is some flat stock, some good-size (1/2"?)bolts, nylocks and wing nuts. Weight placement is obviously better with the foot at the front, but access should be ok with one bolt toward the tail lights and one near the middle of the bed.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
How will you use it? Just curious as you see lots of them on Jeeps but not too often actually being used.
I have assisted with two uses this year. Resetting the spring on an XJ that popped and reseating a tire on a TJ in a terrible spot. We had to actually stack the base to get the hight right. Both instances nothing else would have worked for on the trail fixing

Whitarmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2014 JKR
I have assisted with two uses this year. Resetting the spring on an XJ that popped and reseating a tire on a TJ in a terrible spot. We had to actually stack the base to get the hight right. Both instances nothing else would have worked for on the trail fixing
This is exactly what I was eluding to earlier. Most of the time you can get away without it. But when you need it, you need it.
Sponsored