Sponsored

How long it would take Diesel Engine MPG to pay for itself

Are you getting the Diesel for MPG or for the torque?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Said it before, loved my ‘14 EcoDiesel GC, but the diesel option is a driving dynamics decision, not a financial one.
Sponsored

Gladiator Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JTR
And you know it is 6k from where officially? Lots of speculation but the official numbers have only stated to slip out with the recent order guide stating it would have a 200lb greater GVWR than the max tow which makes up for half the additional engine weight. All that has been stated officially is it will be ‘less’ than the max tow. My estimate is it will be 7200-7400 in line with the Grand Cherokee with the same engine.
Yeah I don’t know first hand. going off what has been released.
https://www.tfltruck.com/2020/07/it...-coming-soon-it-will-tow-up-to-6000-lbs-news/

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Yeah I don’t know first hand. going off what has been released.
https://www.tfltruck.com/2020/07/it...-coming-soon-it-will-tow-up-to-6000-lbs-news/
haha TFL. Their antics are usually good for a laugh. Like I said, I will wait for the official release for the real numbers. There are multiple tow ratings on the v6 running from 4000-7650 depending on trim. They never mention a trim level and are vague about where that number comes from. Also the other two articles published the same day two other articles were published about the EcoDiesel release and went out of their way to state that the official towing numbers had not been released.

mr_bots

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
unfortunately there is no Hemi option like with the Grand Cherokee to do a closer comparison with the additional power you are getting. When I did the math with my Grand Cherokee the difference between the Hemi and diesel was <$2k for double the MPG and more torque. Comparing with the V6 on MPG alone is not a good comparison. Why is it everyone seems to love that V6 but at best it is described as adequate? FCA needs to relegate that V6 back to just minivans and bring back a high torque straight 6.
Would that "high torque straight 6" be the on that makes the same torque at peak that the Pentastar meets or exceeds from 1800 to 6350rpm? The 3.6 likes revving but it has a pretty flat torque curve.

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I did the math including maintenance on here several months ago. The average driver will SPEND about $1,000 annually over the gas engine to have the diesel in the driveway assuming 7 years of ownership.

You never buy diesel to save money. Ever. You buy it to tow more easily.

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
It's all relative to the cost of diesel in your area. Diesel in my location costs max $0.10 more than regular. Right between regular and midgrade. I don't see the major difference everyone else used in their calculations.

That said, I'm not buying it to break even. I'm buying it to have the torque to break loose.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Fuel economy, extended range, ease of towing, beefier engine, beefier transmission, and overall driveability makes the diesel a great option. In my opinion, it's like trying to justify a hellcat instead of buying the SRT. You don't need to find a justification, you buy it because you love the whole package. Either you love the diesel and everything it offers, or you don't love it. You should never buy something you don't love!

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Fuel economy, extended range, ease of towing, beefier engine, beefier transmission, and overall driveability makes the diesel a great option. In my opinion, it's like trying to justify a hellcat instead of buying the SRT. You don't need to find a justification, you buy it because you love the whole package. Either you love the diesel and everything it offers, or you don't love it. You should never buy something you don't love!
Exactly, I'm not sure why the diesel debate always seems to go down the financial rabbit hole. It's a driving dynamics decision, not a financial one with modern diesels.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Exactly, I'm not sure why the diesel debate always seems to go down the financial rabbit hole. It's a driving dynamics decision, not a financial one with modern diesels.
Agreed.

People make it sound as though paying $40K with the Pentastar is completely an acceptable financial decision, but paying $45K with the EcoDiesel takes some deep philosophical understanding to make that purchase seem feasible. In reality, no new vehicle is a great financial decision. If you want to be fiscally conservative, keep buying older trucks from the 1980s and 1990s that are cheap to maintain.

The difference between a Pentastar and an EcoDiesel could potentially be the difference of $60 dollars per month on an auto loan, yet people are worried about "is the diesel worth it".

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Fuel economy - It's a wash because AAA says diesel averages $0.40 more per gallon, right? Some places are less, some are more. But the added cost eats up the 4-6 MPG bump.

Range - This is a moot point because range is artificially limited by the fact that only about 50% of stations in the U.S. sell diesel. So unless you're planning to fill a bunch of jugs and haul them with you, range is also a wash.

Ease of towing - 100% agree

Beefier engine - EcoDiesel so far has proven to fail far sooner than Pentstar. Hopefully Gen 3 will be different, but the jury is still out on that.

Beefier transmission - I do like this!

Driveability - Pros and cons here too. The torque is very nice. The throttle response and lag is not. Overall, the driveability is poor in my opinion compared to the gas engine.

I don't think there are really many reasons at all to ever buy a diesel in a Wrangler. The Gladiator makes a little bit more sense because at least you can tow with it.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Fuel economy - It's a wash because AAA says diesel averages $0.40 more per gallon, right? Some places are less, some are more. But the added cost eats up the 4-6 MPG bump.

Range - This is a moot point because range is artificially limited by the fact that only about 50% of stations in the U.S. sell diesel. So unless you're planning to fill a bunch of jugs and haul them with you, range is also a wash.

Ease of towing - 100% agree

Beefier engine - EcoDiesel so far has proven to fail far sooner than Pentstar. Hopefully Gen 3 will be different, but the jury is still out on that.

Driveability - Pros and cons here too. The torque is very nice. The throttle response and lag is not. Overall, the driveability is poor in my opinion compared to the gas engine.

I don't think there are really many reasons at all to ever buy a diesel in a Wrangler. The Gladiator makes a little bit more sense because at least you can tow with it.

Huge tires is the reason and torque off idle

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Yeah, but you're getting caught up in money again. Don't think about money, think about fuel economy. Better fuel economy means less trips to the pump and more range.

It's not a moot point if you're doing expedition style of travel, or travel through remote parts of the country where there are no fuel stations. Range matters.

Ease of towing - 100% agree.
Absolutely!

If it's a good engine, the EcoDiesel has proven to be a high mileage engine. There are EcoDiesel engines now with over 325,000 miles on them.

One of the Forum members now has over 500,000 miles on his factory transmission, and he tows for a living!

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Um, if there are fewer stations w/ diesel, wouldn’t extended ‘range’ be even More important?