Sponsored

How long it would take Diesel Engine MPG to pay for itself

Are you getting the Diesel for MPG or for the torque?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram
For fuel savings you could justify it a bit sooner than 300k based off inflation and if Bidden gets his way fuel will get significantly more expensive. If that happens you can calculate better resale for the diesel as well.
Sponsored

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur
For me its range (wish it had a 26 gal tank like my Cayenne Diesel) and torque, especially the fact that the turbo engine maintains its power at altitude (Denver). A Normally Aspirated engine is out 3% of its power for every 1,000 ft of elevation... So at Denver I would be down 15% vs sea level in a NA engine.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
Ya, The numbers do work ok.
I think this will be about avg for us
450lbs - trailer TW
350lbs - My wife and I
200lbs - Generator, safety gear
100lbs - Stuff
I figure if I can keep it under that we will be comfortable.

Of course the diesel pulls fantastic empty.
I would say it one of the nicest trucks I've even driven.
... we will see what happens when we load it .

Sponsored

houseofdiesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
These rants always crack me up. No one clicks all the boxes for savings. The efficiency of diesel is a byproduct of the most efficient combustion cycle known to humans and that's it. No one was ever clicking the option for a big block for savings. They could afford the best money could buy end of story. Ya don't see diesel people trolling forums for 4 bangers or V6's shaming them or voicing their displeasure in people that choose what they can afford over what they want. So why would 30 people have to troll the diesel section? lol

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
These rants always crack me up. No one clicks all the boxes for savings. The efficiency of diesel is a byproduct of the most efficient combustion cycle known to humans and that's it. No one was ever clicking the option for a big block for savings. They could afford the best money could buy end of story. Ya don't see diesel people trolling forums for 4 bangers or V6's shaming them or voicing their displeasure in people that choose what they can afford over what they want. So why would 30 people have to troll the diesel section? lol
No one is ranting, just giving their insight on the diesel. There are pros and cons to most everything, including the V6's and 4 bangers. People come here to read up on things in order to make an informed decision when purchasing or adding mods, whatever the case may be. This isn't exclusive for ecodiesel lovers only. I was considering a move to the ecodiesel, but thinking about it and reading here in the ecodiesel threads, I don't think its a good move FOR ME at this time. I'll just carry a couple of gas cans with me.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Overall I bought the diesel primarily for the torque. But I'll say that from what I am hearing, the mpg difference is significant when putting on heavier tires, to the point where fuel savings does make a difference. I.e., 12-14 mpg on the highway for my 37" equipped JLU vs 18-20 mpg on the highway for my 37" equipped JT. Also, filling the JT is cheaper per gallon by a lot than filling my JLU.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Overall I bought the diesel primarily for the torque. But I'll say that from what I am hearing, the mpg difference is significant when putting on heavier tires, to the point where fuel savings does make a difference. I.e., 12-14 mpg on the highway for my 37" equipped JLU vs 18-20 mpg on the highway for my 37" equipped JT. Also, filling the JT is cheaper per gallon by a lot than filling my JLU.
That's good news, guarnibl. But have you changed the oil or a fuel filter yet? Have you added up how much DEF you will spend in 12 months? You might find that maintenance on the EcoDiesel will cost you several hundred dollars more than what is required on the gasser in just a 12 month period of time.

Don't get me wrong, I love both of my EcoDiesel vehicles, and I'm looking forward to getting a Gladiator EcoDiesel, but these are not cheap vehicles to maintain.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
There's no way to financially justify buying a diesel Jeep. The End.

But diesel lovers will justify it other ways - torque, MPGs (HA HA), extra range (HA HA), maintenance (OOPS), fuel and DEF costs (OOPS), and just because, etc.

My Gladiator has enough range that by the time I need gas I'm ready to stretch my legs. And if I want another 75 miles or more I just carry a 5-gallon Sceptre can and I'm good.

This may be the first post to bring up the extra pollution especially the particulates the diesel pumps out. But diesel lovers will pony up the thousands more for it.

If you want a diesel truck there's a RAM 1500 diesel that will tow and get good MPGs for its size and weight. That TRUCK is designed to do truck like things.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
That's good news, guarnibl. But have you changed the oil or a fuel filter yet? Have you added up how much DEF you will spend in 12 months? You might find that maintenance on the EcoDiesel will cost you several hundred dollars more than what is required on the gasser in just a 12 month period of time.

Don't get me wrong, I love both of my EcoDiesel vehicles, and I'm looking forward to getting a Gladiator EcoDiesel, but these are not cheap vehicles to maintain.
Not sure if my numbers are right but I was estimating about $500 a year between oil/DEF. I was changing the oil 3x a year on the 2.0 at a tune of about $180. So a difference of $320.

There's about a 50 cents a gallon difference for me for JT vs JLUR.

But yeah, I didn't buy it for fuel savings. I bought it because of the torque. Cost to maintain is pretty irrelevant for me.

edit: threw my fuel numbers in spreadsheet. I think if you are coming from a 3.6 or live in a colder climate it's a different story. I also could have re-geared the JL and that 12-14 number would have improved greatly (albeit, at a cost). I also just wanted a truck as well. I primarily use 91 on the JLUR due to A) tuning and B) ambient temperatures here in SW. But overall, my JLUR was costing me about $3200 in fuel and the JT will cost me $1900. It might be even less on the JT if the fuel economy is better than 18-20 mpg. So figure $1300 - $320 for the oil/def and I'm still ahead.

Last edited:

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Not sure if my numbers are right but I was estimating about $500 a year between oil/DEF. I was changing the oil 3x a year on the 2.0 at a tune of about $180. So a difference of $320.

There's about a 50 cents a gallon difference for me for JT vs JLUR. For me (15k a year mileage) the difference is about 320 gallons.
Let's say that everything is correct. Your math is correct, your fuel economy is correct, the number of miles driven are correct, etc. 320 miles @ 2.50 per gallon is a cost savings of $800 per year, right? In 5 years, that would be $4,000 dollars in fuel savings. At that point, you have paid for your EcoDiesel diesel upgrade.

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
$4000 if they offered a manual+diesel option, which I would have absolutely paid for. So really it's $6000 extra.
FYI, I had a TDI+Manual in a Jetta almost 20yrs ago and it was fantastic. Kind of wish I still had it for blasting around town.

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
There's no way to financially justify buying a diesel Jeep. The End.

But diesel lovers will justify it other ways - torque, MPGs (HA HA), extra range (HA HA), maintenance (OOPS), fuel and DEF costs (OOPS), and just because, etc.

My Gladiator has enough range that by the time I need gas I'm ready to stretch my legs. And if I want another 75 miles or more I just carry a 5-gallon Sceptre can and I'm good.

This may be the first post to bring up the extra pollution especially the particulates the diesel pumps out. But diesel lovers will pony up the thousands more for it.

If you want a diesel truck there's a RAM 1500 diesel that will tow and get good MPGs for its size and weight. That TRUCK is designed to do truck like things.
I'm unsure of where the "HA HA" plays in on the extra mpg and extra range portions. The diesel does achieve better fuel economy, and it does have extra range. Those are simply facts.

As far as the extra pollution, I think everyone on this forum is guilty to some degree of that. We drive (typically) lifted vehicles with oversized tires, that have the aerodynamic characteristics of a handful of bricks, so that statement comes off as a bit asinine.

I enjoyed having my EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee prior to my gas JT. I do miss the 700+ mile range and the power from the tuned engine/transmission, but I wanted to keep things simpler this time around, as well as row my own gears, so I decided not to wait for the diesel.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I'm unsure of where the "HA HA" plays in on the extra mpg and extra range portions. The diesel does achieve better fuel economy, and it does have extra range. Those are simply facts.

As far as the extra pollution, I think everyone on this forum is guilty to some degree of that. We drive (typically) lifted vehicles with oversized tires, that have the aerodynamic characteristics of a handful of bricks, so that statement comes off as a bit asinine.

I enjoyed having my EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee prior to my gas JT. I do miss the 700+ mile range and the power from the tuned engine/transmission, but I wanted to keep things simpler this time around, as well as row my own gears, so I decided not to wait for the diesel.
I would not say that the microparticles emitted by a diesel are the same level of bad as what we gas guzzlers emit. we just kill the planet but not the people. I still would have gotten the diesel over the 3.6 if it had been available as a 2020 since as a rule of thumb always get the strongest engine.
Sponsored