Sponsored

How to extract door closers from the doors??

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Door off season is over in New England and I want to re-attach the door closers back to the door jamb.

I am having trouble getting them out of the doors. I have not pulled on them as hard as possible because I'm afraid of breaking them.

Does anyone have any wisdom around getting these things out of the doors??

Thanks,

Don
Sponsored

GrubbyBaja

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 6-speed
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
A couple options come to mind... 1) Install doors on hinges and work the bolt through the hole on the door stop, then close door enough so you can turn the bolt 2-3 turns by finger into the body; then open door which will pop the stop out of the door (you may need some tiny fingers for this but it can be done). 2) Loop a shoe string through the door stop bolt hole and give it a quick, firm, pull. The 3rd option is to not push them in to begin with...but you're already passed that stage. Someone makes a tool especially for this, but I couldn't find the link. The tool is basically a T-handle and bolt that connects to the stop where the T-handle can then be used to pull the stop out of the door.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your input. So I'm not the first person to have this problem. This is a good thing.
Not pushing them in in the first place wasn't really an option.

The doors were off for most of the summer, but almost every weekend we went to a weekend place about 120 miles away. So they went on for the trip. I did the trip once with them off and it was miserable.

I want to be able to put them on and off without tools.

Either way you have given me an idea. Maybe tack weld some kind of a handle to a nut that fits the bolt. Then grab it with a set of large vise grips.

SPED1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport 2005 tj wrangler
Occupation
service & parts supervisor
You won't break the door check, they will aggravate you! Get them pulled out enough to get the bolt on the door frame and open the door. This is easier said then done. Maybe this time I will make the tool I need to pull the check straps out.......

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
1) Install doors on hinges and work the bolt through the hole on the door stop, then close door enough so you can turn the bolt 2-3 turns by finger into the body; then open door which will pop the stop out of the door (you may need some tiny fingers for this but it can be done)
That's what I did

Sponsored

zuki_dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 miata & cherokee, 06 ram 2500, 15 mustang,
Occupation
Aircraft Examiner
I tried this on one door once. I now I don't push them in the doors. Only that bolt to remove the door.

I used a pair of vicegrips on the metal part to pull it out of the door though. Took quite a bit of force to pull it back out.

Advntrbound

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I can't remember who makes a tool to pull them back out. But it is basically a bolt that screws into a handle. Maybe some paracord lopped through it and pull.

Sponsored

SpeedNeed

First Name
Speed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, S4, Panamera
There are several methods, but I’ve found that the easiest by far is the one using the Jeep tool set which I think is the video above. I was using the paracord method to hold the arm while opening the door, which works, but its much easier to use the included socket wrench. Takes 30 seconds once you figure it out. The worst is trying to simply pull the arm straight out of the door - no leverage.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why not leave them in? Or don't push them in.
The doors just work better with them. I'm willing to overlook that to make the doors much easier to take off.

But since they will be on for the next 6 months, I'd like to get that function back. The biggest is that they hold the door open when you are loading stuff inside.

RickF

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JT Rubicon
This has happened to me. Grab them with Vice Grips and pull like crazy. Once you figure out how to get enough leverage, it will come out.

Next time, be sure to remove the doors with the door checks pulled way out--and keep them that way.