Sponsored

In a pickle! What do I do?? Need some advice...

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2015 Harley Tri Glide, 1928 Ford roadster pickup
I'm am 6'4" 315lb man and I love my Gladiator, I traded a 2019 Ram Limited.
About the same here... went from a 2011 Cummins to a JL... wrecked it and got a JT... since I’m no longer towing heavy I don’t miss the Cummins schoolbus at all .... the JT is to me the perfect everyday vehicle.
Sponsored

MemphisMississipp

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport Max Tow Pkg Gobi
Occupation
Retired Fed X truck driver
I’m a newbie here. It’s time to trade in my 2012 Honda. Now, I have a deal in a place for a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie crew cab and for a 2021 Gladiator Overland. Obviously the discounts on the Laramie are MUCH greater so the monthly payments are about the same. I’m torn on the fun of the Jeep - (top down, jeep wave, easier to maneuver, fun to modify, fun vehicle overall, but smaller cabin, more cramped) OR the tank that is the Laramie - (much more space, comfort, ride quality, etc.), but it doesn’t have the “it” factor of Jeeps. Is it true the Gladiator rattles like crazy from all areas? That might drive me a little nuts. It would make sense given you can take it apart pretty much, but that’s the price you pay I guess!

Anyway, anyone have any experience with both and can give me any advice? I’m literally split 50/50 on what to do. Any help would be fantastic. Thanks everyone!
My max tow is the most solid vehicle I’ve ever had. No rattles, no nothing. Solid as the day is long!

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
. You are going to get more enjoyment out of the extra comfort on a daily basis then you will the occasional offroad run and a few waves from strangers.
The waves excited my wife about owning a Jeep. It's also a great community to be welcomed into.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
I have a deal in a place for a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie crew cab and for a 2021 Gladiator Overland.
[...]
Anyway, anyone have any experience with both and can give me any advice? I’m literally split 50/50 on what to do.
That IS a tough choice. I traded my Ram for the JTR. The Ram was a 5.7L with 3.92 rear end and ZF 8HP70 transmission. The Ram was only a Tradesman trim work truck but easily the best (smoothest, most powerful) powertrain I've ever had in 30 years of owning vehicles. The Ram did everything I asked of it. Drove a Laramie crew and it was far better in terms of feel/comfort, felt very different from the Tradesman.

Compared to the Ram the biggest differences with the JTR in my opinion will be power (Ram wins), interior room (Ram wins), fun factor (JT wins). If you tow/haul a lot or often have 4 people inside, Ram might be a better choice. If you want a highly capable "lifestyle" rig that is very capable offroad, more clearance, lighter, convertible, just plain fun, then JT.

Really rough choice. Ultimately just consider your wants and needs. They're similar in that they are both trucks that will tow and haul and get you from here to there but when you start looking at details they're very different rigs.

I miss my Ram every day and love my JTR every day.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Do you REALLY need that much extra size and towing/hauling capacity? If you really do, and I mean "need" and not "want", then you may want to say no to the Jeep. It is what it is.

However, if you don't truly need the extra size, then I'd recommend trying the Gladiator. There are so many reasons for this. They include fitting between things like trees, posts, or other cars in a parking lot; respectable towing and hauling ability for its size; big fun factor in every respect, including top off, doors off, go anywhere, people turning their heads when they see you go by, etc.; fuel mileage; and ability to be transformed into a vehicle that fits your personality like a glove.

Sponsored

Liftr

First Name
Duran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S
Occupation
Aviation
If you truly need a work truck, ie. you work out of your truck to make a living, then buy a work truck.
I have found that most people would be better served having a 6x10 utility trailer. They only cost $1,000 and have no recurring Insurance payment.
Or, buy the Gladiator and a used full size truck like this.
Jeep Gladiator In a pickle! What do I do?? Need some advice... 81F17E9C-DFB1-4181-86A4-8B5D21A42EB5

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I own both. I like my 2020 Ram Laramie 1500 especially for long trips with the family and lots of heavy cargo, but I still prefer to drive my Gladiator for daily driving.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
The waves excited my wife about owning a Jeep. It's also a great community to be welcomed into.
Oh, the Jeep waves are nice and I miss getting them (everyone waved at my JKUR and very few wave at the JT) as well. But on a purchase this large, the waves are trivial.

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
There are a few factors here: First, how old are you? How much commuting or daily driving are you doing? Third- do you live near a beach or mountains? How often would you be dropping the top or enjoying the outdoors with the jeep? Honestly, if you are hauling people like a family, goods, or concerned about ride quality, go with the Laramie, hands down.

IF you are looking for a more lifestyle oriented vehicle with the side benefits of hauling (some stuff) with a cramped interior that can fit a few midgets in the backseat somewhat comfortably- get the JT. The thing is, if you have a wanting to "look cool", mod your vehicle, and have a more outdoor geared lifestyle the jeep JT is a can't miss.

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
One more comment: You could always lift the laramie and put some rims/tires on it, a tonneau cover etc, but you still may end up looking like everyone else. With my JT I get stopped at literally every gas station by people from every age group and walk of life. It is always instant friendship and thumbs up. With a truck, you probably won't get any of that. Only you can determine the trade-offs and the lifestyle needs. Hope this helps.

Sponsored

DiverDaddy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Max Tow
Occupation
Electronics Tech
I've owned 5 Ram 1500 trucks to include a Rebel and i currently own a 2020 Gladiator Sport S max tow, my wife has the 2018 Ram 1500 Long Horn. Both have their pros and cons, but honestly you can't go wrong either way. I love my Gladiator, by far my favorite vehicle ever! I have just over 4400 miles on it and have not experienced any rattles of any sort. I just had a Rubicon Express 3.5 and 35" Procomp MT2 and it rides better now than stock!! All that being said, the Ram is obviously more roomy and a little more comfortable, but there's just nothing like my Glady!! Hope I didn't make it a harder choice!! HAHA!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase