Sponsored

Is it me, or does the JT really struggle...

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I used to joke that you could take your foot off of the gas in our JK at 55mph and it would come to a complete stop in drive in a half mile on flat ground.

That is only modestly hyperbolic
Jeeps have the aerodynamics of a billboard.

Sponsored

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I have the Max Tow
Strange, I have Max Tow and I think my Gladiator goes up hills almost effortlessly. It quickly downshifts and scales any incline without any trouble. I barely touch the gas pedal and up it goes. I sold my 1986 Comanche to buy the gladiator. Sheesh, I literally had to put the pedal TO THE FLOOR to get that truck up hills; and people would pass me like I was in reverse. (Of course, this is in stark contrast to my 1970 Mustang which will go up the same hills in overdrive.)

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Strange, I have Max Tow and I think my Gladiator goes up hills almost effortlessly. It quickly downshifts and scales any incline without any trouble. I barely touch the gas pedal and up it goes. I sold my 1986 Comanche to buy the gladiator. Sheesh, I literally had to put the pedal TO THE FLOOR to get that truck up hills; and people would pass me like I was in reverse. (Of course, this is in stark contrast to my 1970 Mustang which will go up the same hills in overdrive.)
This is largely a matter of perspective in this case I think. Your Gladiator is a quantum leap forward from that '86 in every aspect and same is true of the Mustang with the exception of raw power (unless it is a restomod then only a smaller quantum leap).

There is no denying that they are not aero friendly, have lots of stuff going on in the drive-line, generally quite a bit of rolling resistance in the tires, and in many if not most cases a bunch of rotating mass in the tires/wheels as well.

I don't know that "struggle" is entirely accurate, but they absolutely require some effort to push them down the road.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
This is largely a matter of perspective in this case I think. Your Gladiator is a quantum leap forward from that '86 in every aspect and same is true of the Mustang with the exception of raw power (unless it is a restomod then only a smaller quantum leap).

There is no denying that they are not aero friendly, have lots of stuff going on in the drive-line, generally quite a bit of rolling resistance in the tires, and in many if not most cases a bunch of rotating mass in the tires/wheels as well.

I don't know that "struggle" is entirely accurate, but they absolutely require some effort to push them down the road.
Totally disagree. My Max tow goes without much effort at all. Is it like a V8 full size truck, no. But mine goes just fine and gets pretty darn good gas mileage. Even climbing hills, I find it stays at around 2,000 RPMs for most of the time, even my trip I took to the mountains of Virgina a few weeks back, I still averaged 19.5 MPGs on 35's

Last edited:

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase

3uh2kd.jpg

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Rick Behrendt

First Name
Boats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S, 2017 Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 Camper van.
Occupation
Retired US COAST GUARD
My JT is awesome going up grades, no problem at all and i live in the mountains of Northern Idaho, and i mean MOUNTAINS as in Rocky Mountains, I have to go over a mountain pass no matter which direction I go and we have no problem what so ever keeping it above 60 mph climbing the grades, it does so much better the the 17 GMC Canyon, V6, it replaced.

donaldus

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1974 VW
Occupation
Driver
...going up hills. I swear, I could be driving it empty and it still drops the mpgs and sounds like it struggles even up small grades. Today I drove it up a park road (pavement) ranging from 9-11 degrees and it dropped all the way down to 2nd gear.

On highways, any hill requires pretty good gas pedal depression to maintain speed. I can IMMEDIATELY feel when there is even a slight slope because the Jeep will slow down in 2 seconds.

ETA: paved road hills. Off road it is great!
Could be the eight speed tranny + the software. The more speeds the quicker and number of shifts.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
flat roads, outstanding performance. Off road, yes I never feel underpowered. Just going up hills it seems like if I dont have the accelerator just right it downshifts to maintain speed and mpgs plummet

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
flat roads, outstanding performance. Off road, yes I never feel underpowered. Just going up hills it seems like if I dont have the accelerator just right it downshifts to maintain speed and mpgs plummet
Oh, I see the problem. You have your DIC set to display fuel economy. Try changing it to show pitch and roll instead. :like:
Sponsored