First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
When I purchased my Gladiator in December I asked the dealer to install a brake controller prior to delivery. Told me my vin build sheet said I did not have sales code ADH so I need an additional part 82216416AA, a harness. This part is still in development. I have read sales code ADH is a Wrangler code may be ABR. Doesn't matter the support part is not available
Has anyone seen the advertisement with a Gladiator towing the Airstream camper with stock mirrors, that's unlawful and unsafe in my state, does it have a brake controller? The owners manual states trailer brakes recommended for towing greater than 1000 lbs, wouldn't you need a brake controller? If you order a vehicle with a class IV hitch wouldn't you think the vehicle would accommodate a brake controller? How about some extendable mirrors? Contacted CS, they've contacted my dealer. Dealer said need the harness, it's like a dog chasing it's tail.
Sponsored

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Escape, Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
When I purchased my Gladiator in December I asked the dealer to install a brake controller prior to delivery. Told me my vin build sheet said I did not have sales code ADH so I need an additional part 82216416AA, a harness. This part is still in development. I have read sales code ADH is a Wrangler code may be ABR. Doesn't matter the support part is not available
Has anyone seen the advertisement with a Gladiator towing the Airstream camper with stock mirrors, that's unlawful and unsafe in my state, does it have a brake controller? The owners manual states trailer brakes recommended for towing greater than 1000 lbs, wouldn't you need a brake controller? If you order a vehicle with a class IV hitch wouldn't you think the vehicle would accommodate a brake controller? How about some extendable mirrors? Contacted CS, they've contacted my dealer. Dealer said need the harness, it's like a dog chasing it's tail.
If you did not get the max tow package you may be missing the electronic wiring for a brake controller. However, it should be something readily available aftermarket. Fortunately I did order mine with the max tow package and the dealership did install an aftermarket brake controller. Sucky part is they did not ask me about where to put it and it sits near my right knee.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The wiring harness listed in the install instructions is for Wranglers that were not ordered with the tow package. If you ordered the truck with a Tow Package, all the wiring is in place to install a brake controller. The Mopar controller package includes everything needed to install it. If the dealer can't figure it out, tell them to give you the complete kit to take home and wait for the wiring harness to become available. Go through it and make sure the kit is complete. Install it yourself, or take it to another dealer.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
The harness you are looking for should be a gray plug taped to a support strut under dash, perhaps right above brake pedal, do you have a receiver hitch and 7 way plug? ...Jack

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Id find another dealer. Tons of posts on this in this forum. Some dealers can't read or diagnose anything. As long as you had tow package the plug is under the dash. Do a search on this page. All the info for dealers is spelled out if they dont understand.

As for mirrors there is an adapter posted in these forums also that allows a wider mirror. They work awesome.

Sponsored

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
The harness you are looking for should be a gray plug taped to a support strut under dash, perhaps right above brake pedal, do you have a receiver hitch and 7 way plug? ...Jack
Right. I installed my own and it was easy. The gray plug is right there tucked up high kind of over the parking brake pedal. It’s hard to see by looking under the dash, but I used my cell phone camera flipped so that I could see up in there and plug it in. It was easy as pie. I spent way more time screwing the mount under the dash than I did hooking up the wiring.

There still could be a harness required to plug a controller into it, as I had to buy one for mine which isn’t Mopar. However - if it’s all Mopar, you’d think it would be plug and play with the same brand. But hey, if they can sell another part to make it work, then why not - right?

PEI-Gladys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JTR
Occupation
Ed Tech
No extra harness is required for the JT. The ADH sales code is making reference to the Wrangler. Installed my controller last week with just part 82215652AB. Because my build date was before Jan 2020 the ABS module did requrie an update, but that was covered under warranty. I was told the controller (82215652AB) was backordered, but only waited about a week and a half. If the dealer is telling you they require an extra harness they are sadly misinformed and would be a bit worried about their ability to actually do the install. Cheers!

This link may help with a bit more detail.
https://www.moparonlineparts.com/sku/82215652.html

Reactions: mog

tabrods

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport s
Occupation
Retired
We have a '20 Gladiator and an '18 Wrangler and use the Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller for both. The main controller mounts on the trailer and the handheld plugs into the 12V receptacle. You need just the one handheld to work the brake for both vehicles. There is no wiring in either car, just the handheld. You could also use this controller with any other vehicle, just use the handheld. It works with Bluetooth. Going on four years, no issues. Been through four jeeps so far.

https://www.tekonsha.com/product/902502_trailer-brake-control-proportional

Sponsored

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
I thought you had to have ordered either max tow or regular tow to have the proper wires under the dash. All others don't. Am I mistaken?

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon, '09 C4500 Kodiak
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
I thought you had to have ordered either max tow or regular tow to have the proper wires under the dash. All others don't. Am I mistaken?
From the description, it sounds like a build prior to 01/08/2020 needs the 'warranty' flash to the ABS
and all others should be good "without any issue".

Jeep Gladiator Issue having dealer install a brake controller 82216416AA

OP
OP

Chaswell

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
From the description, it sounds like a build prior to 01/08/2020 needs the 'warranty' flash to the ABS
and all others should be good "without any issue".

Jeep Gladiator Issue having dealer install a brake controller 82216416AA
It's a 2021 Diesel with tow package. Talked with 2 different dealer service departments same answer, need the additional harness. In development. Thanks

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
It's a 2021 Diesel with tow package. Talked with 2 different dealer service departments same answer, need the additional harness. In development. Thanks
I would get JeepCares involved to see if they can educate the dealer regarding the issue. If you have a Gladiator with a Tow Package, everything needed to install the Mopar Brake Controller is included in the box.

OP
OP

Chaswell

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Thanks, in the process of doing as you suggested, spoke with a JeepCares rep yesterday they are going to get back to me in a few days. I also emailed Mike Manley Jeep CEO, he had someone contact me the next day, he also said give him a few days. I will post results.
Sponsored