Sponsored

JT 3.6/ESS with eTorque - same as DT ?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I do like the turbo 2.0 but since I need a truck I will be getting a Gladiator to scratch the Jeep itch. What will really save fuel and I suspect is in the pipeline for every manufacturer is to convert the AC to an electric compressor so that it can run off of the 48V while the engine is off. If you have ESS or BSG you know that it only stops for a few seconds when it is hot outside. I bet the 48V system would power the AC compressor for several minutes before the engine has to restart to make power.
AC in my pacifica is electric. I doubt the 48V system has enough capacity to run the AC for very long.
the PIHG will be so nice. (Plug in Hybrid Gladiator).
Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I knew there were some all electric systems out there because Tesla and others have electric only powertrains so both AC and heat have to be electric. I didn't do any research about any vehicles that currently utilize the technology.

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
FWIW

My buddy Jack, retired AF Fighter pilot. Jack kept a log book on every car he ever owned. Jack bought a Prius and he and I would jokingly go back and forth on my F 350 vs his Prius. I got 14-15 mpg and he got 41 on electric and in the low to mid 30's on gas.

One day Jack calls me and says Don you were right. My battery pack died, it's out of warranty and it was $5,132.15 to replace. So I did the numbers and took the $5k at the current price of gas and you are right I would have a LOT better off with gas rather than that damn battery!

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator LE, '17 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Principal
One day Jack calls me and says Don you were right. My battery pack died, it's out of warranty and it was $5,132.15 to replace. So I did the numbers and took the $5k at the current price of gas and you are right I would have a LOT better off with gas rather than that damn battery!
How long did the battery last? They're generally like 10 year 100k warranties. My Ford Fusion Hybrid is doing great at year 7 no issues. Prior to it I had a Ford Explorer Sport-Trac that got like 17mi/gal. Just considering my work commute over those 7 years the gas difference would be about $6617 = $11685-$5518. So even if the battery died the instant it came out of warranty I'd be ahead on gas costs - and that only considered required commuting, every mile after that is bonus.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
FWIW

My buddy Jack, retired AF Fighter pilot. Jack kept a log book on every car he ever owned. Jack bought a Prius and he and I would jokingly go back and forth on my F 350 vs his Prius. I got 14-15 mpg and he got 41 on electric and in the low to mid 30's on gas.

I don’t hate on the mild hybrid BSG system, as it actually increases torque at idle, but you’re right about the potential unseen costs. It also takes more energy to produce these extra systems, to the point that fuel savings during use might even be offset by the extra use during production. Bring on the nuclear powered cars!

OP
OP
Lou3.6

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004

This might wake up this thread.

Gladiator possibly??
I usually check my bookmarked TFL's and didn't notice this , nice find but he threw a wrench into it when showing the 1 option - top of one of the pages - listing ONLY the 6 speed manual ? Really ? Any-who, I put in a Comment under the video's comments - I'm FlyFInaticLou / Lou3.6 in case anyone didn't realize . Maybe Nathan would pick it up for an "Ask Nathan" bit ?

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A, 1968 Jeepster Commando, M422 Mighty Mite and 2020 Gladiator Bright White
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered my wife a 2-door Wrangler Sport with the e-torque engine. The build sheet lists a 12v battery (N0 aux. battery ) and the engine description does not include "with ESS". Will the Gladiators with the e-torque engine be the same?

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
I don't know about the JT's but the alternator/starter on the Rams runs about $3k if you have to buy one.
Sponsored