Sponsored

Let's talk about window tint (a small guide)

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You lost me when you said the factory glass doesn't block UV/heat even though it's stamped on the glass that it blocks UV and therefore heat.

Obviously the ultra-violet portion of the light spectrum isn't the only longwave solar energy coming into our atmosphere but it does count for a lot.
Sponsored

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
You lost me when you said the factory glass doesn't block UV/heat even though it's stamped on the glass that it blocks UV and therefore heat.

Obviously the ultra-violet portion of the light spectrum isn't the only longwave solar energy coming into our atmosphere but it does count for a lot.
This is true for the rear privacy glass? That is to say a “matching” tint percent would result in protection and aesthetic continuity throughout. I’m concerned of a kid in the back on a long ride just getting roasted unknowingly.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
This is true for the rear privacy glass? That is to say a “matching” tint percent would result in protection and aesthetic continuity throughout. I’m concerned of a kid in the back on a long ride just getting roasted unknowingly.
Anyone have any thoughts to this?

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
It's a must here in Houston

JVYo0y0h.jpg
We can Tint our windshields here? A quick google search says only the top portion above the line. Also, who did you use in Houston? I'm in the woodlands area, but will drive to a known, good source.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ted Striker

Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Texas Trail
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
We can Tint our windshields here? A quick google search says only the top portion above the line. Also, who did you use in Houston? I'm in the woodlands area, but will drive to a known, good source.
Not technically but the tint place knows an inspection place and...you get the idea.

I got it done at Executive Window Tint on I-10 and Gessner. They’ve done my last 4 vehicles and always do a good job and have the best tint and equipment available. PM me if you are interested and I’ll give you my sales rep name and get you a better deal.

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
Not technically but the tint place knows an inspection place and...you get the idea.

I got it done at Executive Window Tint on I-10 and Gessner. They’ve done my last 4 vehicles and always do a good job and have the best tint and equipment available. PM me if you are interested and I’ll give you my sales rep name and get you a better deal.
Saved your post...will pm once glad arrives. I'm currently in JS status waiting to fill a train apparently.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure

Just for reference this car has 70% on the windshield. Super illegal in CA but never had any issues

563C6977-BFEB-4F66-82B0-5379ABA11BF7.jpeg

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
If you have adaptive cruise control, I would not install ceramic. Ceramic has been known to cause interference issues with electronics. This is one of the reasons I went with carbon on my wife's 4Runner due to the antenna being placed on the window. I'm unsure about totally clear windshield protection, but they do make a 90% which is pretty much indistinguishable from clear. As far as glare, I have not noticed any whatsoever on my 70%, but then again, I have perfect eyesight so not much bothers me.
Are you sure you don't mean Metallic Window Tint when talking about RF signal interference?

https://windowtintz.com/ceramic-window-tint-vs-metallic-window-tint/

As I understand it Ceramic based tint is the best for fade free, uv protection, heat rejection and non interference with RF signals but is more costly.

Metallic Tint is cheaper but doesn't offer as much protection and can interfere with RF signals.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
How much does it impact your vision at night, I have been in cars with really dark tink on side windows and it makes it hard to see pedestrians and other things at night that do not have lights, can’t imagine what it is like with the windshield tinted.

Sponsored

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Are you sure you don't mean Metallic Window Tint when talking about RF signal interference?

As I understand it Ceramic based tint is the best for fade free, uv protection, heat rejection and non interference with RF signals but is more costly.

Metallic Tint is cheaper but doesn't offer as much protection and can interfere with RF signals.
You are 100% correct:
https://www.llumar.com/automotive-f...c-window-tint/formulaone-pinnacle-window-tint

OP
OP
Ted Striker

Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Texas Trail
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Yes, I had wrote a ton out by that time and must have had a brainfart by then.

That being said, ceramic based tint has been passed up by Crystalline tint now in terms of heat rejection, UV protection and durability. And yes, it definitely cost more than ceramic.

colindo

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Overland

Appreciate the information and shop info as I’m in Sugar Land area. Will follow up on PM

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Yes, I had wrote a ton out by that time and must have had a brainfart by then.

That being said, ceramic based tint has been passed up by Crystalline tint now in terms of heat rejection, UV protection and durability. And yes, it definitely cost more than ceramic.
So to be clear (no pun intended) ceramic tint on my windshield will NOT interfere with my adaptive cruise? Just got it done and haven’t tested my cruise yet.

Sleighman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Retired LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Local shop did 15% Color stable on my front drivers and passenger window and then 70% ceramic tint over all of the windows except the front. Dark and a huge difference on the transfer of heat.

Jeep Gladiator Let's talk about window tint (a small guide) 20210617_162716
Sponsored