dbjohnso86

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Vehicle Showcase
Not a happy camper. I totally wasted a lot of money.

It's not at all ready for prime time.

First - do NOT even think of touching that button with no trailer and the engine running.

That's right - no diode, it will light your cluster like the 4th of July or Christmas - and it disabled 4 functions on my jeep until I shut down and restarted.

The instructions are wrong in two places - they show it with wires facing you as you install it but it comes reversed - which is correct? The arrow points to removing a wire strap on the lower hole, it's actually the upper hole.

VERY hard to plug it in installed as it's shown, but much easier if it's reversed from the directions (installed as it comes)

Comparing this to Redarc -
Redarc single mode controller - about 136
Mopar single mode controller - over 250
Redarc dual mode controller with bezel and Ram harness with diode - under 250

So for less money you can get a dual purpose controller that has a diode in the line and won't light up your dash if you press that button without a trailer connected. Not a biggy - but if you are like me and may bump that button shifting the t-case or reaching for a window switch or whatever, it will be a problem.

What does the Mopar controller do that Recarc does not?
Nothing.

It doesn't light with headlights on, it only lights with a trailer. Which is fine because you don't need it without a trailer, right?

It doesn't integrate into the electronics in any way - it won't show on your dash or screen. It's a dumb controller just like Curt, Redarc, etc. But for about twice the money.

Obviously this was a hurry-up thing. They never tested it.

So why do we all want it? Because the control knob matches the dash! That's it.

I find zero advantage and several disadvantages.

Frankly, I'm concerned about how cheap and light the control dial is - it's a fraction of the weight and thickness of the smaller Redarc knob. I have a feeling it's not going to hold up well.

I'm still debating, especially after finding it will light up your dash and crap out if you hit the button by accident, I may still rip it out and trash it.

I'll see how I feel after a couple of days - but one more time of that fXXX thing lighting up my dash and it's out of there.

I can't believe Mopar released this overpriced cheaply made thing that doesn't even have any protection from error (like a diode)

What gives, Jeep? What a joke.

Show me an advantage this has over the Redarc controller - other than LOOKS. Seriously.

I expected something WELL MADE, with a solid control knob, not some cheap thin plastic.

And like I say - it doesn't even light with no trailer.

Where's the advantage and why did we all - including stupid ME - rush to get this thing?

Instructions are a mess -
There is no ADH code for Gladiator, that's a Wranger, etc. code. So anyone with a Gladiator is going to be confused by that including DEALERS!

The instructions show in at least SIX (6) places where the controller itself should be mounted with connectors facing you - pointing back. It comes the other way.

The instructions point to a lower hole and show removing a wire harness clip - the clip is actually in the UPPER hole and mine was a bitch to get out!
I could go on - but you see the deal - it was rushed out and the instructions were never checked, tested, etc.
Wow! Thank you so much for this review! Had been waiting on the Mopar TBC but looks like I'll be placing an order for a 3rd party one now!
Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
@ShadowsPapa do you have LED lighting? Just thinking of BCM functions that could be involved since we are talking about the brake system.
Thanks for that thought. Yes, the full compliment. The ONLY package I didn't get due to dealer error (and my not catching it in time) was passive entry - all else I have.

I should add that to the poll perhaps! Good thinking.

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Data Analyst
I ran into all these issues when i tried to use a Tekonsha and Curt wired brake controllers over a year ago when i first purchased my Gladiator. Read about the diode thingy in another forums post and decided to wait the winter before trying again. Saw someone buying the Curt Blutooth brake controller and went with that instead in the spring. Been happy ever since. Glad i didn't wait for the mopar release.

Mightytalldude

First Name
Rob aka MTD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GCM Sport S, 6spd manual, subtle mods.
Occupation
Retail Management Hell
The Curt Bluetooth unit works ok, but depending on the strength of your phone's Bluetooth, can disconnect during use. Luckily it holds last setting in memory and still functions. I'll hold off on the Mopar unit until all issues are sorted out, as it sounds like some fine tuning on the instructions and/or wiring harness.

Sponsored

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Thanks for that thought. Yes, the full compliment. The ONLY package I didn't get due to dealer error (and my not catching it in time) was passive entry - all else I have.

I should add that to the poll perhaps! Good thinking.
I would start with the dotted line in the bottom right. I suspect there is a different setup now or the BCM has a setting that is wrong. If the harness did not change run would side with a BCM issue. Could be a hardware change to compensate for the diode issue.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/TRAILER-TOW-SYSTEM.pdf

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I'm putting together a spreadsheet. Will have to go through every thread on the topic to find more info - so far only have what is on the poll thread page.
Of those on that thread alone, it's a mix. One has LED lighting and no problem, another has LED and has the problem.
I need to get all the info I can from the other threads and hope others hit the poll page.

I have the PDF and printed it - that dotted line is where they connect to for the trailer brake controller connection brake light connection.

firehog

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow; 2020 Chevy Silverado Duramax 3500
Not sure if anyone saw this post yet. I purchased mine from them and I am returning it.
Jeep Gladiator Mopar factory trailer brake controller - my impressions and review 14227BC8-C367-48C2-8A97-2CD771B06A78

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
So just to be clear....did FCA release this thing knowing it wasn’t ready yet and didn’t work?

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Clear??? Some work, some don't , mine works fine, allmoparparts is stopping sales basically due to posts on this forum, I had alerted Benny to all the threads......Jack

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Clear??? Some work, some don't , mine works fine, allmoparparts is stopping sales basically due to posts on this forum, I had alerted Benny to all the threads......Jack
And there is no clear pattern. LED lights? Some are ok some not. ACC? Some are ok some not. Build date... again, no pattern.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
This is the same problem that showed up when people started putting aftermarket brake controllers in the Gladiator after it hit the streets. The aftermarket solution was the diode in the harness to keep the feedback from being a problem. I would have thought that whoever is making these for Jeep would have at least explained the issue to them. I assumed that they were delayed to market for so long because Jeep was trying to solve the same problem with their controller. Apparently, the delay was from other issues.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
But remember all, it’s COVIDs fault that the brake controllers release was delayed and why it truly isn't ready yet.

FCA experienced some tough times in the beginning part of the year, let’s cut them a break! They are doing their best! I’m sure they will get it figured out in the next two years or so.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Blame Tekonsha - they KNEW these required a diode - proof? At least one of their harnesses for Jeeps has the diode in it.

If I didn't already say so - for kicks, I enabled the option for "brake controller" in my truck yesterday - just for kicks as so many people say "it needs a flash!"
Well, the dealer proved it did not - but because Jeep has their heads up their collective dark places on this, I found it hard to believe the people who the tech called would know squat when no flash was mentioned, so I did it anyway.
The result?
Setting "integrated brake controller" got me a "forward collision disabled" message as soon as I told jscan OK to set it - and the controller still lights up the dash when that button is pushed.
In short - don't enable that LOL
Today I'll take that setting back out since it's supposed to hit 72 and will be warm enough to mess with pulling those wires out again to plug in the bypass cable.
That's not fun when it's cold - those connectors, tabs and wires get STIFF and brittle.

Still looking for others to escalate this up the chain as high as possible, open star cases, hound their dealers, demand refunds, whatever - get some attention.

And I still see jeepcares doesn't about this particular part.......... I guess it's not a big enough deal.

atoy74

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Did we finally get a definitive answer if the Tekonsha cable A, works with the Mopar controller and B, if it solves the Christmas tree dash issue? I was just looking at my Curt cable (for the Spectrum) and it does have a diode in the cable...which is why I never knew this was an issue lol.
Sponsored