Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Army
Vehicle Showcase
I was getting around 19 with stock wheels and tires. Running 35" Nittos and Vision wheels and I got just over 15 with the first tank.
Sponsored

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I'm on 35's with auto and 4:10's, and averaging 15-16ish. I have triple checked my JScan regarding tire size and verified my speedometer was accurate with GPS. I can see how a bigger powerplant would yield similar, if not better, MPG's simply because the motor does not have to work as hard.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
I have the same lift and tires and I am getting close to 300 miles out of one tank with the 6.4L HEMI. I was also only getting about 250 with the same setup with the 3.6L
I am going to be using this fact to convince the boss I need to spend $ to do the swap - save the environment and have power to get out of the way of accidents and all that. Thank you!!!

PS - I may soon be searching for a new couch ... 😁

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So I'm curious:

If you drop $50k on a Gladiator and $35k on a Hemi swap, plus misc items and mods, you're at $90k. If a drunk crosses the line and hits you head on tomorrow and you walk away, will the insurance company give you $90,000? Or did you just piss $35,000 into the wind?

I've always just wondered how guys handle that issue. It would make me as nervous as a rabbit. I'd rather drop the $90k on a TRX and call it a day.

OP
OP
Mopar King

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2022 JLU 392
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
So I'm curious:

If you drop $50k on a Gladiator and $35k on a Hemi swap, plus misc items and mods, you're at $90k. If a drunk crosses the line and hits you head on tomorrow and you walk away, will the insurance company give you $90,000? Or did you just piss $35,000 into the wind?

I've always just wondered how guys handle that issue. It would make me as nervous as a rabbit. I'd rather drop the $90k on a TRX and call it a day.
You have to call insurance - explain the mods and the amount you need insured for and the coverage is adjusted.

I've personally driven the TRX, its a clunky gimmick of a truck. I don't make a point to speak ill of Mopar vehicles but they REALLY missed the mark on it. I'll take my Gladiator any day.

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Yeah I think he meant to say 75th anniversary edition Power Wagon 😉

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
So I'm curious:

Ehh I am not sure how everyone finances that. The situation you mentioned would be a bit crazy. I built bought and sold my way into my first HD truck and have pretty much been carrying that equity so have not owed much on my ride if anything.

As for having the motor professional swapped. As long as I am the professional, thenI can afford it lol.

Now at the end of the day a hemi Gladiator is a unique and pretty decent vehicle. It really is an option that should exist,because while the current engine is adequate, the hemi actually makes it a contender if not class leading vehicle. If they did this and a bit more with the front suspension really would ve a refined offroader.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You have to call insurance - explain the mods and the amount you need insured for and the coverage is adjusted.

I've personally driven the TRX, its a clunky gimmick of a truck. I don't make a point to speak ill of Mopar vehicles but they REALLY missed the mark on it. I'll take my Gladiator any day.
I have not driven a TRX, so I can not say. But from what I've seen other people do to and with them, I wouldn't call it a gimmick. It'll hurt muscle cars' feelings from a red light, prowl trails anywhere in America, and take quite a bit of high speed abuse. And it's all factory original.

Yeah I think he meant to say 75th anniversary edition Power Wagon 😉
I LOVE the Power Wagon. Even brought home a brochure when they first hit the market again in the mid 2000s. But I've never been able to bring myself to buy a huge HD truck that drinks gas like it's sponsored by OPEC and has less payload and towing capacity than most modern 1/2 ton trucks. If it can't do real work, it's not a Power Wagon to me.

Ehh I am not sure how everyone finances that. The situation you mentioned would be a bit crazy. I built bought and sold my way into my first HD truck and have pretty much been carrying that equity so have not owed much on my ride if anything.

As for having the motor professional swapped. As long as I am the professional, thenI can afford it lol.

Now at the end of the day a hemi Gladiator is a unique and pretty decent vehicle. It really is an option that should exist,because while the current engine is adequate, the hemi actually makes it a contender if not class leading vehicle. If they did this and a bit more with the front suspension really would ve a refined offroader.
Yeah the last midsize truck that Stellantis offered was always available with a V8, which was unique in the segment for the entire duration of its run. They really should offer a 5.7L Hemi, even if they have to detune it a bit to meet engineering requirements.

OP
OP
Mopar King

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
I have not driven a TRX, so I can not say. But from what I've seen other people do to and with them, I wouldn't call it a gimmick. It'll hurt muscle cars' feelings from a red light, prowl trails anywhere in America, and take quite a bit of high speed abuse. And it's all factory original.
I haven't seen anything done to or with them that a 5.7 1500 can't do. Any Hellcat and up Charger/Challenger will take it off the line and at the finish line and its FAR to big to be out doing half the trails a Wrangler or Gladiator can do. As far as it being "factory original" I could personally care less. Obviously the sliver of benefit you have there is warranty but anymore that gets voided by going through a mud puddle.

To give some additional perspective, the owner of AMW 4x4 owns a TRX. He likes it so much less than any given Jeep he owns that it sits in his shop and he drives his Hellcat JL or Gladiator.

Again this is all my perspective but the Raptor is still king when it comes down to those two trucks in terms of overall capability. Give the TRX 5 years to catch up and MAYBE they figure it out. Personally, I don't think the TRX will still be around in 5 years.

hobbsserv

First Name
K Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon white
Occupation
Business Owner
So I'm curious:

I have a heavily modified Harley. I had to provide documentation of the mods to the insurance company. They insured the bike for the total amount I have invested.

Reactions: CWB

Sponsored

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
hey King!!! How's the build coming along? What did you do for under body armor for your rig if any? I am thinking about adding the artec full belly pan but not sure it will protect all the touch points. Also thinking about 37s as I am scrubbing rocks a bit too much with the 35s

OP
OP
Mopar King

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
hey King!!! How's the build coming along? What did you do for under body armor for your rig if any? I am thinking about adding the artec full belly pan but not sure it will protect all the touch points. Also thinking about 37s as I am scrubbing rocks a bit too much with the 35s
Hi! All good here! Haven't done anything recently - top and doors are off and no plans but to enjoy summer. In fall its scheduled to head back to AMW4x4 for an updated transplant (Redeye) and some other goodies. If they have everything I am looking for developed in time I will be adding the ARB twin compressor and an aux fuel tank. No plans of additional underbody armor at this time. I have plenty of room sitting on 40's and would rather not add additional weight.

How has everything been going with yours?

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Hi! All good here! Haven't done anything recently - top and doors are off and no plans but to enjoy summer. In fall its scheduled to head back to AMW4x4 for an updated transplant (Redeye) and some other goodies. If they have everything I am looking for developed in time I will be adding the ARB twin compressor and an aux fuel tank. No plans of additional underbody armor at this time. I have plenty of room sitting on 40's and would rather not add additional weight.

How has everything been going with yours?
It's been going very well. About three weeks ago I transitioned to driving without music and just enjoy the V8 ha ha. On the highway I don't use 8th gear but not doing much highway driving anyways.

The HEMI was great rock crawling with all the low end power but with our trails here everyone is hitting some rocks ha ha even on blues. I think I would benefit from a couple inches more clearence also for the diffs. I did not get hung up anywhere like some of the shorter wheel based jeeps but there was def some rock contact here and there so been thinking how to not destroy the undercarriage. Heck I even dinged the muffler. Maybe 37s would be a fun thing to try but I worry about the power loss when driving around town

OP
OP
Mopar King

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
It's been going very well. About three weeks ago I transitioned to driving without music and just enjoy the V8 ha ha. On the highway I don't use 8th gear but not doing much highway driving anyways.

The HEMI was great rock crawling with all the low end power but with our trails here everyone is hitting some rocks ha ha even on blues. I think I would benefit from a couple inches more clearence also for the diffs. I did not get hung up anywhere like some of the shorter wheel based jeeps but there was def some rock contact here and there so been thinking how to not destroy the undercarriage. Heck I even dinged the muffler. Maybe 37s would be a fun thing to try but I worry about the power loss when driving around town
I don't think you would feel much power loss if any at all. You might notice lower fuel economy and probably in your shift points more than anything but AMW could do a flash to adjust for the larger tires for you.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I don't think you would feel much power loss if any at all. You might notice lower fuel economy and probably in your shift points more than anything but AMW could do a flash to adjust for the larger tires for you.
Yeah fuel economy is not that important. It's pretty good right now so room for a bit of a loss for sure there. alternatively I don't do anything this year and a bigger build next year with full suspension and axle upgrades. I do think I'll keep the truck for a long time it's just so good with the HEMI.
Sponsored