Sponsored

Jtleng

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I did not remove it. The dealer was great and put it back on after they replaced the steering box.
Awesome, it is amazing how much it does help.
Thanks for the reply
Sponsored

pacificoflyr

First Name
Tank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Driving mine around town, I honestly don't feel any difference, which is a major bummer. I am trying to order a FOX Steering Stabilizer but they appears to be backordered everywhere or I gotta sell some organs to get it shipped to Hawaii....wonder if it might make a difference? I did see someone on here that installed one.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Driving mine around town, I honestly don't feel any difference, which is a major bummer ...
Sorry to hear that -- it's discouraging that your steering isn't noticably better. Although they warned me not to expect parts for months, they called on Friday and my steering box will be replaced tomorrow, exactly 2 weeks after approving it.

I've put this off for months because my steering wasn't terrible. Not nearly as bad as a Wrangler that I once rented, but the truck I test drove before ordering was much tighter than mine. I was on the fence, worried the steering might end up worse, but decided I wanted the steel box mainly in the interest of longevity. Will update after driving for a while.

livewire_3020

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Maintenance Technician
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear that -- it's discouraging that your steering isn't noticably better. Although they warned me not to expect parts for months, they called on Friday and my steering box will be replaced tomorrow, exactly 2 weeks after approving it.

I've put this off for months because my steering wasn't terrible. Not nearly as bad as a Wrangler that I once rented, but the truck I test drove before ordering was much tighter than mine. I was on the fence, worried the steering might end up worse, but decided I wanted the steel box mainly in the interest of longevity. Will update after driving for a while.
im hoping the same will happen for me. told me couple months for parts, coming up on 2 weeks now, would be awesome to get that call.

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 23 JL Sahara 4xe
Driving mine around town, I honestly don't feel any difference, which is a major bummer. I am trying to order a FOX Steering Stabilizer but they appears to be backordered everywhere or I gotta sell some organs to get it shipped to Hawaii....wonder if it might make a difference? I did see someone on here that installed one.
Around town isn't the best place to compare new vs. old. Mine is pretty well behaved in town and below 45 mph. On the highway, it's a mixed bag. Well behaved one day, a real handful the next.

Sponsored

pacificoflyr

First Name
Tank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Around town isn't the best place to compare new vs. old. Mine is pretty well behaved in town and below 45 mph. On the highway, it's a mixed bag. Well behaved one day, a real handful the next.
Agreed. But when you live on an island in the middle of the ocean where most of the freeway speed limits are 45.....

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Mine did the same thing. The dealer said could be months and they had the part in just over a week.

Clay

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired LEO
I had my steering box replaced , today, and.....................................drum roll...............................IT"S GREAT! Pulled out of the dealership and onto the interstate and the steering was tight, as it should have been in the first place. :clap:

pacificoflyr

First Name
Tank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Alright, hopped on the freeway and it was for sure better. You were right, the roads aren't a good judgement!

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
October checking in... just waiting on the bolt kit and I can get my truck in there.

Apparently they're rationing the shit out of gearboxes... the guy locally said at what they're currently allowing orders, he has a wait list through next year on Gladiators and almost 2023 for Wranglers.

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT Sport S
Occupation
Structural Engineer
I have the old aluminum gear box, part number P68418449AE, but i feel like my steering is tight, responsive, doesn't pull and is otherwise what i would think is "normal" at slow speeds and highway speeds. Am I dense, or are some old aluminum boxes OK and some are bad, or are they all pretty much bad and i don't know the difference? My JT has just under 20k miles if that makes any difference. Scared my warranty will run out and then my steering gear start acting up and i'm having to pay full price to replace it, i guess. Are any of the old aluminum ones good?

Boogerman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Does anyone know if they will still do the Steering box update after I have done a lift and steering stabilizer?

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know if they will still do the Steering box update after I have done a lift and steering stabilizer?
They just did mine and I have a Synergy steering system, 4" lift, 37" tires and a Fox steering stabilizer. And also have the synergy steering brace. I didnt start noticing issues with my steering until about 25k miles but started feeling is loosen up and get notchy. So far the new steering box feels tighter and the notchy feel is gone. I havent yet driven on the highway, just back roads bringing it home from the dealer.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I have the old aluminum gear box, part number P68418449AE, but i feel like my steering is tight, responsive, doesn't pull and is otherwise what i would think is "normal" at slow speeds and highway speeds. Am I dense, or are some old aluminum boxes OK and some are bad, or are they all pretty much bad and i don't know the difference? My JT has just under 20k miles if that makes any difference. Scared my warranty will run out and then my steering gear start acting up and i'm having to pay full price to replace it, i guess. Are any of the old aluminum ones good?
There is a certain amount of subjectivity involved. When the issue really was brought up earlier with the JL and now the JT, there still was a certain amount of people who claimed they had no problem. Maybe they did, maybe they did not but not having a point of reference for some I think made people believe they had no issue and everybody else who complained were being hyper sensitive and overblowing the issue.

For me, I had owned a JL and my current JT that was a early build and felt I fell in the middle but after time I started to convince myself I had no issue as I had gotten use to a certain amount of muscle memory in driving. Now that I have had the TSB done, I can say it was evident and was an issue.

There is no guarantee you will be fine with the Aluminum steering gear box for the long haul. Since the TSB is driven on the owner reporting an issue, I would suggest just taking it in and getting the TSB addressed and on the list for parts to queue up and get it done for piece of mind.
Sponsored

Last edited: