Sponsored

watarski

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
They are larger bolts than the original used so they can't possibly use the old ones.
@ShadowsPapa Can you confirm this is true? Just want to make sure my dealer could ONLY use the new bolts. I still have some trust issues there...

Got mine back today and there is definitely a difference, for the better, with the new steering box - just curious if they used the new bolts.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
@ShadowsPapa Can you confirm this is true? Just want to make sure my dealer could ONLY use the new bolts. I still have some trust issues there...

Got mine back today and there is definitely a difference, for the better, with the new steering box - just curious if they used the new bolts.
I can only go by the TSB so far - will find out on mine tomorrow.

This is from the TSB -
NOTE: The aluminum steering gear frame bolts will have two different size bolts. The new
steel gear frame bolts will all be the same size.

That's saying the bolts for the aluminum steering gear will be two different sizes - the new gear requires bolts all the same size. My understanding is that they increased the size on two of them so they are all the same instead of 2 larger than the other 2.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Got a text a few minutes ago - the dealer saying they checked with parts department on the bolts - not expected until the 3rd now. So much for quick resolution. They'll have the truck for a week.
So it's now Thursday. Seems the bolts are the issue with most folks who have to wait.
Our Grand Cherokee goes in tomorrow and I don't expect it to be done for a couple of days, either, unless I'm surprised - it's got weird issues, all electrical/electronic related.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Dropped the JTR off this morning at my dealer (same place I bought it from) for the steering box fix, picked it up after work. I didn't do a very thorough inspection but by a quick look under the hood before and after, looks like the steering box itself (where hydraulic lines are attached) was replaced. The did a related software update of the power steering.

On the drive home, which included highway time, the steering is definitely improved and the wandering is nicely reduced. If I wiggle the steering wheel there is still some free play but it just feels tighter - even if the input isn't enough to change direction, it feels like a load is just starting to be applied to the wheels, where it wasn't before. Overall, the constant corrections have been reduced, tighter steering feel and it's a noticeable improvement.

That, combined with the clutch fix the week before, leaves me very happy and the Jeep at 9K miles feels better than it did new. After the clutch fix the momentary blips of power loss after a gear change are largely gone. There was no leak, but maybe bleeding the hydraulic lines cured it.

Kudos to the service dept at Foss Motors. Prompt service, great communication, great results, couldn't have asked for more.

Sponsored

Warman

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2011King Ranch F-350 for 2020 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate
Same month mine was built. This TSB replaces the steering box with a different part number. If it steers fine now, then it's your choice. Seems the new box is much better. I plan on bringing mine in as it wanders quite a bit more than my wifes JKU. I have 5 vehicles with solid axle fronts, this gladiator has sloppy steering.
Thank you!

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
The wander center was moderate and generally tolerable, but it would change lanes if you took your hands off the wheel. Needed constant left input to go straight.
Mine is like that, I never thought or called it bad but if you take your eyes off the road, even just checking your mirrors too long... you're almost off the road or over the yellow line. Makes you nervous driving and makes me not let other people who won't mind this nuance (my kid) drive the JT.

I don't think mine has steering issues. Wondering if I should take it in and try to get new box just for the hell of it? Maybe it does and I just don't know any better.
I've always been in that camp. My steering isn't horrible, my steering isn't TOO dangerous & my steering isn't broken... It's a solid front axel thing. It's just very clearly far from good. I was always going to do the synergy brace as my first upgrade. (Maybe that's my sign it is bad). Now that the TSB is fixing the problem...
Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 20200831_173400

That $250+tax+shipping I had saved went towards these today. My JT is fully stock so new steering box via TSB first, I don't want any issues. Then tires go on.

Which dealer was this? Thx
Central Maine Jeep

Last edited:

Coyotesong

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I'd like to get mine done too. From day 1 its been loose.. How willing are dealers to do this? I'm on a 3.5" Metalcloak lift and Nitto 37's...i can just hear the dealer blaming the lift and tires.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Solid front axles should have nothing to do with steering issues on a straight road that's void of pot-holes and roughness. There's simply no reason for it. It's a thing that's been passed along as truth with no validity based on technology.
An IFS vehicle has more joints in the steering linkage than a Jeep.

Two pretty quick AMC race cars have solid front axles under them - and they go down the track at over 140 mph.
My neighbor has a straight axle ford coupe (forgot the year, 40 or so?) with a V8 and T5 transmission and he drives it to the salt flats each year to run it hard. Steers really nice - and has good brakes since he put the brakes from my 73 Javelin on the front of it - oops, he told me not to tell anyone he was running AMC parts on is Ford.....

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") misc-shop-gene-cross-brakes 018.JPG

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") gene-cross-brakes-021

Last edited:

one2doo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT White Rubicon ,2018 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins,2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins, Mahindra Roxor,2018 .
After almost a week drIrving with the fix. Is great and handled like it’s supposed to. East TN mountains and interstate . It’s the way it should be. Just what I wanted.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Just got my Gladiator Overland back 2hrs ago. Holy Moly....Good Golly Miss Molly!!!!! This thing now drives exactly like the 2018 RAM 1500 2wd reg cab short bed I traded in. You go down the interstate at 75MPH with your finger resting on the steering wheel straight as a arrow. No correcting every 50 feet. No drifting back and forth. You just drive. Effortlessly. The steering feels firmer, not stiff mind you, but in total control. The steering wheel now goes back to straight up center everytime!!!! It didn't before, it got close, but you had to finish it straightening it. JEEP......you knocked it out of the park with this fix!!!!!!!!!
To the Service Managers, Service writers and the techs that say "They all drive like" Your wrong. They don't.
hearing all the awesome comments like this has me excited for this "MOD", lmao, that should have come from the factory.

The wander is the only thing that takes away from my smile on a daily basis. I can't wait to get this fixed!

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
This just proves that some people are just less sensitive to these things and reason why some people thought it was a Jeep thing (not you ShadowsPapa). This forum represents a small percentage of JT owners, and the same goes with the JL forums. Imagine the rest of the people who are unaware of the TSB fix and just frustrated/disappointed with how their Jeep handles. I bet all JLs and JTs with the aluminum steering box has some kind of steering issues. FCA knows this so that's why for now they don't make it a recall just to help their bottom line.
i feel bad for the thousands and thousands of non-enthusiast JL/JT owners with the wandering and are stuck thinking, "its a jeep thing".

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I traded in an 18 Grand Cherokee for my Gladiator... Thing was an electrical nightmare. I would have the entire dash flash all sorts of lights at me, would drop out the entire 8.4" screen. It was back at the dealer several times, and was returned only being reset.

I even brought in a video of the issues. The dealer said they could not replicate the issue and it was once again reset and sent on my way. At one point they had the thing for a week and found no issues. Tried passing it off as a grounding issue they couldn't locate.

Wish at the time I was on more forums like this so I could have discovered jeepcares... Although if not for those problems I more than likely woulnt have the gladiator that I absolutely love.
i'm glad you drove an electrical nightmare so you got to fall in love with the Gladiator. hopefully this TSB will make you love it that much more. i'm sure crossing my fingers.

HWKIGRL

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Gladiator Overland, 2” Mopar left. Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Small business owner
After almost a week drIrving with the fix. Is great and handled like it’s supposed to. East TN mountains and interstate . It’s the way it should be. Just what I wanted.
Thanks for taking the time to give us an update! It makes the wait worthwhile.
Sponsored